Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

diasflacog
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Deleting "networks" from windows 8.1?

Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:49 pm

I remember in windows 7 I was able to go to the networking options and then clicking on the little house icon then there would be an option called "merge of delete network locations".

Is this feature still availble in windows 8.1? I noticed that I have 3 networks and 2 of them are not being used. How can I "merge or delete" them? I can't seem to find this anywhere on windows 8.1.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Deleting "networks" from windows 8.1?

Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:28 am

What exactly do you want to delete?

diasflacog
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:03 pm

I did some deeper googling and found the answer.

Seems like MS removed this feature from windows 8.

Basically I wanted to manage all of my network connections. In windows 7 there was an option to merge or delete previously used networks. For example "Network" "network 2" etc etc.

That said there is a solution for this on windows 8.1. You have to delete the profiles from within the registry. I already deleted them so that solved my problem ^^

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:03 pm

meerkt wrote:
What exactly do you want to delete?

Think he wants to "forget" a wireless network.

AustinW
Gerbil

Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:25 pm

Can you post how you did it? Right now my wired connection is called "Network 14". Would be nice to get it back to just "Network"

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:13 pm

Deanjo wrote:
Think he wants to "forget" a wireless network.
That part is, luckily, still with a GUI. There's "forget this network" when right-clicking a WiFi network in the Metro "Networks" panel.

But what's "merge"?

For more advanced stuff, Win8's known WiFi networks management sucks indeed. It's commandline based, and cryptic. Stuff like "netsh wlan show all" and "netsh wlan delete profile...".

diasflacog
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:57 am

AustinW wrote:
Can you post how you did it? Right now my wired connection is called "Network 14". Would be nice to get it back to just "Network"

This is quoted from the forum where I found the fix.

"1. Run Registry Editor. (press Windows button + R, type regedit, click OK)
2. Go to this folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles.

The Profiles folder will eventually give you all the network locations (past or recent) that you have used. Each network location is represented by a subfolder.

If you want to set up again the network locations when the network adapter connects to the network, delete all the subfolders of Profiles folder."

There you go. I unplugged my ethernet cord and deleted all 4 "networks" subfolders under the "profiles" folder. I then closed out the regedit and turned off my pc. Plugged the ethernet cable back in and turned it on. It detected my connection and made a new "network" (aka network 1).

This was exactly what I wanted.