Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Cold Boot Issues (Fixed w/New BIOS)

Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:21 am

Glad that my advice helped you out, I did some googlefu and saw a lot of people with similar issues. Most of them were solved with some bios upgrade action.

BIF
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:58 am

Absolutely, and thanks!

igor2307
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:58 am

I posted my problem at the official gigabyte US forum and Nvidia forum and I will post it here also:

"Hello everyone,

Have you manage to solve the problem?
I have exactly the same problem. Basically, cold boot is a problem. On my Gigabyte Aorus B450 Pro VGA led lights up red and stays that way. There is no display output and have to reboot pc. Sometimes it happens all over again but sometimes it just boots normally and red led turns off on MB. I recreate "cold boot" scenario where I turn of PC, disconnect the power cable and hold on to power button for 20 sec so that capacitors can "empty out". Connect power cable back, turn on PC and there it goes again, no display on monitor and VGA light turns red and stays that way but randomly sometimes it just boots normally. Sometimes after first cold boot when the problem appears, turning off PC, disconnecting power cable, connecting it back and turning PC on just works but it is different almost every time.
I have literally tried everything.
Cleared CMOS, disconnected battery, tried turning on with separate component connected, had F60e bios and updated to F60f, uninstalled every GPU driver, turned PC on with or without HDMI cable, DP cable, connected RTX2060 to other pciE slot, even bought new PSU Antec 700w and still the same problem. It happened when i upgraded from my XFX rx580 gts 8GB to Gigabyte RTX2060 Windforce OC 6GB. When I had XFX there was no problems.

When GPU "starts" and when it normally boots to Windows everything is working well and GPU can take demanding tasks without any problems...so when it's working it's working xD

Today I even tried with different GPU Sapphire Radeon RX470 4GB borrowed from my brother in law and everything is fine - no vga red light and every time normal boot. Went through "cold boot" scenario and PC turned normally.

As soon as I swap back my RTX2060 problem starts again. We tried to put my RTX2060 on his motherboard (can't remember what MB it is) and everything is working well on his PC. Went through "cold boot" scenario on his PC and even left it turned off for 2 Hours and PC turned normally.

Could the problem be with BIOS version F60 or someone solved it otherwise? Did you flashed back the old version of BIOS F50 or F51?

I am crazy these days...spent so many Hours with this problem and it is so frustrating.

Setup:
Ryzen 7 3800X
Gigabyte Aorus B450Pro
Gigabyte RTX2060 Windforce OC 6GB
Antec 700W PSU
Kingston DDR4 2x8 GB 2666 Mhz
SATA SSD WD Blue 500GB
HDD WD Purple 1TB
HDD Seagate 1TB
Case Silentiumpc Armis AR5X TG RGB

New update:
Unfortunately RX2060 is acting "almost" the same at my brother's in law PC. He is definitely having fewer cold boot problems than me but is sometimes happening exactly the same as in my case.
Found somewhere on Internet that problem could be on boot and if boot disk is MBR (and Legacy boot in BIOS) so I converted my boot disk to GPT (and selected UEFI in BIOS) and still the same. Disabling CSM support in BIOS also didn't help (note: it will not even boot the OS if you disable CSM and your boot disk is MBR). Also, found that in BIOS under Power the Power Loading option should be changed from Auto to Enabled but that also isn't helping."

Hope someone could help because I saw that this problem is a common issue.
Thanks in advance!