Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

layerup
Gerbil
Topic Author

Monitor Purchasing Advise?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:56 am

Well hello there tech report, since I'm finally about to finish my masters degree, I would like to get a new monitor for my home system, with a timeline set as soon as possible. This creates a bit a predicament, because I haven't performed monitor research in quite a few years, and even if I had, I probably still would not necessarily know what differentiates a solid monitor from a lousy one. I feel that 1440p is a reasonable resolution to look for, but I haven't the faintest clue what to really go with. Cost isn't necessarily the most important issue, but obviously, the less expensive, generally, the better. This monitor will primarily be used for gaming, followed closely by coding/scripting and reading/browsing. Freesync might be nice, but since I do not currently have a gpu that is able to support it, perhaps it is not a criteria I should specifically be looking for.

Anyone have any thoughts, are links to maybe point me in the right direction?

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Monitor Purchasing Advise?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:06 am

Just get a LCD monitor from a reputable vendor and you should be fine. Ideally, you should probably get an unit that has a Displayport since VGA and DVI are going the way of the floppy. HDMI is an A/V interface. TN panels are cheaper and faster but have supar viewing angles/color accuracy while IPS are a only bit more (used to be a hefty premium) but have far better viewing angles at the expense of speed. *VA panels are the slowest but have the best color accuracy but carried a hefty premium. Current units are catered towards photo professionals and videophiles.

OLEDs are currently expensive but provide near-CRT level color accuracy on a much smaller profile but still have life expectancy and burning issues (better than a few years ago and will continue to improve).

Freesync and G-Sync is just a pissing contest that forces people into locked platforms. IMO, I would wait until the battle resolves itself before jumping the gun onto a G-Sync/FreeSync capable monitor + GPU.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:38 am

The Asus MG279Q (reviewed here and here) was down to $481 the week before last. IPS, 144 Hz, VESA standard Adaptive-Sync = AMD FreeSync (35-90 Hz)... check, check, check. If the FreeSync range of this monitor stretched from 24 Hz to 144 Hz, it would be perfect.

The Monoprice 13808 is still just $250 for folks that don't mind gaming at 60 Hz. That's a low price for a 2560x1440 IPS LCD display. This monitor has only DVI and HDMI inputs, so you'll have to spend another $35½ or $37½ for a DisplayPort or mini-DisplayPort to DVI active adapter cable if you want to use a DisplayPort or mini-DisplayPort output from your graphics card. The included monitor stand is not height-adjustable.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

layerup
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:52 am

Krogoth wrote:
Freesync and G-Sync is just a pissing contest that forces people into locked platforms. IMO, I would wait until the battle resolves itself before jumping the gun onto a G-Sync/FreeSync capable monitor + GPU.

Yeah, this is the feeling I get at this point in time too. While it seems most expect (hope?) that freesync will become the dominate player, its probably still too early to tell how these technologies with standardize.

layerup
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:56 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
The Asus MG279Q (reviewed here and here) was down to $481 the week before last. IPS, 144 Hz, VESA standard Adaptive-Sync = AMD FreeSync (35-90 Hz)... check, check, check. If the FreeSync range of this monitor stretched from 24 Hz to 144 Hz, it would be perfect.

The Monoprice 13808 is still just $250 for folks that don't mind gaming at 60 Hz. That's a low price for a 2560x1440 IPS LCD display. This monitor has only DVI and HDMI inputs, so you'll have to spend another $35½ or $37½ for a DisplayPort or mini-DisplayPort to DVI active adapter cable if you want to use a DisplayPort or mini-DisplayPort output from your graphics card. The included monitor stand is not height-adjustable.

is 144hz popular right now? I mean, 14nm finfet gpus won't hit the market until what, late 2016 at the earliest? Can you get anywhere near that framerate with any current gpu on triple A titles that cost less than ~700$ right now? Don't get me wrong, I do love playing HalfLife2 more than most people, but I feel like a refresh rate like that may be limited by the other hardware within the system when trying to play on an engine built after 2008.

Prestige Worldwide
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:12 pm

layerup wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

is 144hz popular right now? I mean, 14nm finfet gpus won't hit the market until what, late 2016 at the earliest? Can you get anywhere near that framerate with any current gpu on triple A titles that cost less than ~700$ right now? Don't get me wrong, I do love playing HalfLife2 more than most people, but I feel like a refresh rate like that may be limited by the other hardware within the system when trying to play on an engine built after 2008.

Having had a 120hz monitor for nearly 4 years, there is no way I could ever buy nor recommend a 60hz screen for gaming.

Plus, G/Free sync solves the problem of not being able to hit your max refresh rate. You don't need to get 144 fps to reap the benefits of a 144hz screen with variable refresh.
8700k@5GHz, Custom Water Loop | ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming K6 | 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
RTX 3080 | LG 27GL850 144Hz | WD SN750 1TB| MX500 1TB | 2x2TB HDD | Win 10 Pro x64
X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro | Sennheiser HD555 | Seasonic SSR-850FX | Fractal Arc Midi R2