Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

cpu fan error

Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:20 pm

hi i have a x99-a mobo with dynatro R17 cpu fan. everything is set to default. as of yesterday mobo is not recognizing the fan. i tried it in ext fan slot and the fan works. any idea what might have happened here? last thing i need is to buy a new mobo. thanks

EDIT - it spins for a second once power button is pressed. then it stops

EDIT 2 - changed it to DC mode, i see RPM readings in BIOS 1500rpms. fan stops and goes when power button is pressed but boot computer goes into BIOS mode automatically!

EDIT 3 - now my boot disc is not showing up on bootable devices list. i can go in to boot menu and manually select it - i have 4 discs but only dvd is available to boot.

whats going on here?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/zawodowy_fotograf/

i7 7700K--Gigabyte Z270x--EVGA GTX 1080--32GB DDR4 3200--DELL 4K--Crucial 500GB SSD--WD 2x4TB--Seagate 4TB--G-Drive 3TB (external)
5dmkIII

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: cpu fan error

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:06 pm

Could be the mobo, but could also be PSU. Have a spare PSU you can try?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:52 pm

but why all of a sudden my boot disc is not showing up?? nothing was changed.

i7 7700K--Gigabyte Z270x--EVGA GTX 1080--32GB DDR4 3200--DELL 4K--Crucial 500GB SSD--WD 2x4TB--Seagate 4TB--G-Drive 3TB (external)
5dmkIII

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:54 pm

Have you been working in the case recently? I just installed a front-panel USB 3 hub and along the way moved mobo & drive power cables just enough to cause pretty much the same symptoms you're seeing. Reseat everything and report back.

Also, I discovered, after much head-scratching, that if my cell phone was in its USB cradle at boot, the mobo tried to boot off it no matter what settings I'd put in. Nowadays I remember to pull the phone before a reboot. No one has ever been able to tell me why my Z97 will automatically look to the cell phone as the primary boot device if it's there at startup.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:03 pm

no changes at all since i built the system in dec 2014. i got that fan false start on and off. thise boot drive issues. only dvd is listed on the bootable device list but when i go to boot override all my 5 discs + dvd are available. very strange. like just brew it said, may be power supply cause i was hearing some coil hissing - during gameplay. so what i am going to do i will try to reinstall win7 and then if try to get new PSU. what do you think about this bad boy:

Antec HCG M HCG-850M 850W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

5dmkIII

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Before you buy anything open up the case, chase out the dust bunnies, and essentially rebuild the box from scratch. Buying new parts before confirming old parts are bad wastes time and money. So many of my past problems have been solved by an hour spent carefully cleaning and rebuilding the box that it's always the first step in diagnosis.

EDIT: The system in your sig should run easily off a quality 650W PSU at stock clocks and will have no issues with a 750W PSU with OC.

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:14 pm

also mobo displayes AA Qcode error "SYSTEM HAS TRANSITIONED INTO ACPI MODE. INTERRUPT CONTROLLER IS IN APIC MODE.

5dmkIII

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:45 pm

Can you try the boot drive in another computer? AA isn't an error code. It is a checkpoint reached when intitalizing the OS. If the boot drive is fine, try updating/reflashing the UEFI
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

2x4
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:01 pm

boot issue is fixed - for some reason in boot option priorities option 1 was reserved for dvd, option 2 for only 1 HD and that was changed (not sure how) to another disc. this is fixed. now i am still not sure what is causing this cpu fan false start. it really turns on for a quick sec when i turn my comp on, stops, then i get no cpu error, hit restart button and computer starts again with cpu fan running at 1500rps

5dmkIII

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Have you been working in the case recently? I just installed a front-panel USB 3 hub and along the way moved mobo & drive power cables just enough to cause pretty much the same symptoms you're seeing. Reseat everything and report back.

Also, I discovered, after much head-scratching, that if my cell phone was in its USB cradle at boot, the mobo tried to boot off it no matter what settings I'd put in. Nowadays I remember to pull the phone before a reboot. No one has ever been able to tell me why my Z97 will automatically look to the cell phone as the primary boot device if it's there at startup.

My cheapo LG insists on emulating a Verizon crapware CD when I plug it in (and then I have to go to the phone and tell it NO, mount as USB/charging/mtp) - which would probably mess with that. Never seen any other phones with that behavior though. And if your phone purely does MTP (like most), then I don't know...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:26 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
My cheapo LG insists on emulating a Verizon crapware CD when I plug it in (and then I have to go to the phone and tell it NO, mount as USB/charging/mtp) - which would probably mess with that. Never seen any other phones with that behavior though. And if your phone purely does MTP (like most), then I don't know...

Old Droid 2 Global on "Charge Only". Doesn't matter to the mobo, though, as Charge Only is only recognized once 8.1 is up & running. Must be something in the UEFI.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:27 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
... my cell phone was in its USB cradle at boot, the mobo tried to boot off it ...
Oh my goodness. Please tell me that I didn't just read that. Now I'm gonna blow Saturday morning's coffee trying to get my i7 to boot off my GN4. 8) We all know it's just not gonna work, right? Right?!?!? RIGHT?!?!?

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:32 pm

I've seen crap like that before too. Motherboards (or maybe it's the first-stage bootloader?) which would -- regardless of BIOS boot settings -- get hopelessly confused at boot time if there was anything plugged into a USB port that looked even vaguely like something it might be possible to boot from.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

localhostrulez

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:43 pm

You know, we really need some standard way for printers, doc cams, etc to host a driver on their firmware. As it is, they tend to emulate CDs or thumb drives, and that causes issues. HP p1102w's emulate CDs if you have Windows but not the right driver, and it causes issues all the time. (How about, instead of that, you spend the money on building in PCL6 instead of cheaping out with host-based drivers, and then let it use a generic driver that everyone already has? :roll:) The doc cams my summer work uses have a thumb drive built in, so we have to change PCs to not boot off USB drives first. Those BIOS/UEFI's are dumb, so they see a thumb drive, fail because that drive isn't bootable, and then give up rather than going down the list (and eventually to the HDD).

I remember people using iPods (nano - which they apparently still make but largely forgot about updating, classic, etc), and running Portableapps off them back in the mid 00's - those mounted as actual USB drives, not MTP (though I see why a "smart" device like an Android phone can't just mount as a drive while retaining control). There's gotta be someone who booted an OS off those iPods. :lol:

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:57 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
You know, we really need some standard way for printers, doc cams, etc to host a driver on their firmware. As it is, they tend to emulate CDs or thumb drives, and that causes issues. HP p1102w's emulate CDs if you have Windows but not the right driver, and it causes issues all the time. (How about, instead of that, you spend the money on building in PCL6 instead of cheaping out with host-based drivers, and then let it use a generic driver that everyone already has? :roll:) The doc cams my summer work uses have a thumb drive built in, so we have to change PCs to not boot off USB drives first. Those BIOS/UEFI's are dumb, so they see a thumb drive, fail because that drive isn't bootable, and then give up rather than going down the list (and eventually to the HDD).

I remember people using iPods (nano - which they apparently still make but largely forgot about updating, classic, etc), and running Portableapps off them back in the mid 00's - those mounted as actual USB drives, not MTP (though I see why a "smart" device like an Android phone can't just mount as a drive while retaining control). There's gotta be someone who booted an OS off those iPods. :lol:

The cheapest kindle behaves as a USB drive when plugged in. I've actually stored stuff on the kindle in the past when I couldn't find my USB drives.

Have you tried clearing the CMOS? There could be a strange setting in there somewhere that is causing this.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:10 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Perfect advice..........

Would using a USB cable with power only-no data connections solve that problem?

localhostrulez

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:25 am

On one hand, yeah, the motherboard can't see it and get confused by it. On the other hand, you're violating the USB spec - you get 5V (USB C's extra charging modes are another story), but you're called at some low level of current (100mA?) by default. The device has to negotiate with the PC for more (500mA with USB2, 900mA with USB3, Macs have a proprietary way for even more current with iPhones/iPads, and etc). If your PC is strict about enforcing that spec (granted, many don't), you could damage something.

If it's an issue, why not get a wall USB charger (and likely get more current) instead?

cheesyking

Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:41 am

A USB condom is what you'd need to charge while isolating the phone from the computer:
http://int3.cc/products/usbcondoms

Edit: of course I've never used one so I'm assuming they do actually work :wink:
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!