Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Rant - bright blue LEDs on everything

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:40 pm

So those nice bright blue LEDs were nice and cool in the beginning but now they absolutely drive me nuts. My computer cases look like space ships and the bed room at night looks like a dance floor. Recently replaced a modem that had a nice soft dark green glow with a the new one is bright enough to keep me awake. From the outside at night, it looks like one of those fantasy horror movies with bluish lights bleeding through the blinds. Seriously, even ET wouldn't come near where I live.

end rant

On the other hand it makes me wonder if this blue light could be used to grow a better catnip or will they just make all my hair fall off.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Re: Rant - bright blue LEDs on everything

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:50 pm

The common wisdom is that blue light promotes poor sleep, so perhaps [if you've got any choice] consider shifting blinkenlights out of your bedroom?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:54 pm

I know blue/green/white/ light causes interference with a persons quality of sleep. Red light has no effect so if your alarm clock for an example uses red light for the display you alright.
Harvard Health Publications - Blue light has a dark side
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:08 pm

An even better idea. Do what I did recently and drop everything in a spare closet with the door closed.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:23 pm

Black electrical tape has been handy for overly bright LEDs for me.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

ludi
Gold subscriber
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:33 pm

Don't need the light? Electrical tape (as noted above), or nail polish.

Need the light? A circle of colored Post-It note makes a pretty good filter.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:14 pm

I had a game pad with a bright blue LED in my college dorm room and hated it. I love LEDs and backlights, but only if it's orange or red.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Yeah, we talked about this a bit in DYMT last summer... viewtopic.php?p=1269672#p1269672
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:39 pm

I remember reading another thread talking about bright LEDs I'd go looking but I'm being lazy.

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Yeah, we talked about this a bit in DYMT last summer... viewtopic.php?p=1269672#p1269672

Oh this is just awesome!

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Uh Oh, you just couldn't leave it alone.

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:05 pm

biffzinker wrote:
Uh Oh, you just couldn't leave it alone.

I tried but it was just irresistible. But it is useful. Looking at the picture it looks like I wouldn't mind dark blue or the dark orange/red LED.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:21 pm

Trying....to....resist....ranting.... :evil:

Lets just say that I make heavy use of black electrical tape; bordering on obsession for certain areas, such as under the TV.

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:41 am

I swap out the front panel LEDs on many of the cases I build with. #1 because I hate blue LEDs, #2 it's a simple and cheap customization and clients seem to like picking other colors. If the LED is accessible and too bright, simply soldering an inline resistor dims it down. For all those other annoying things like monitor power lights, modems, etc etc...yeah if they're annoying I paint over them with black paint.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

the
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:02 pm

Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:57 pm

DPete27 wrote:
I swap out the front panel LEDs on many of the cases I build with. #1 because I hate blue LEDs, #2 it's a simple and cheap customization and clients seem to like picking other colors. If the LED is accessible and too bright, simply soldering an inline resistor dims it down. For all those other annoying things like monitor power lights, modems, etc etc...yeah if they're annoying I paint over them with black paint.

I've had a heck of a time figuring out the power ratings of those little LEDs to do exactly this. What size resistor do you use? My current case has this issue, but the light comes from the ring around the power button, so I can't just tape it over, which is my usual method of dealing with annoyingly bright LEDs.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Selfie taken with an inexpensive point-and-shoot camera (abysmal low-light performance), hand-held (camera was not on a tripod or propped on anything to steady it), with the only source of illumination being the num/caps/scroll lock LEDs on my keyboard:

OUCH.
But I know the feeling.
I have a razer Anansi keyboard, while I love the RGB illumination of the keys, it has a little snake symbol at the bottom that was absolutely BLINDINGLY bright, compared to the keys.

Well eventually taped it up with a black piece of paper.

I do like the blue LEDs from my Power supply though. Always reminds me of Cherenkov radiation. :lol:
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Use the following links to select a resistor. I normally run an LED at around 15ma when building stuff, but you can go to 10ma to lower the brightness, or in some cases 5ma to make an led view-able from dead on.. if you notice most have a max current draw of 20ma.

Get a wall wart and test leds with various resistors, I've found some chinese leds to be way out of normal specs.

http://www.theledlight.com/technical3.html

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:32 pm

the best part of that photo is that JBI does not look at all amused about the level of light provided by his capslock key lol

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm trying to read this thread, but the blue LEDs blinded me.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:09 pm

DLHM wrote:
Use the following links to select a resistor. I normally run an LED at around 15ma when building stuff, but you can go to 10ma to lower the brightness, or in some cases 5ma to make an led view-able from dead on.. if you notice most have a max current draw of 20ma.

Get a wall wart and test leds with various resistors, I've found some chinese leds to be way out of normal specs.

Also keep in mind that the relationship between LED current and perceived brightness is not linear. If you've got one of those super-bright clear blue LEDs and want to make it dim, you may need to drop the current *way* down, like to under 1ma.

morphine
TR Staff

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:34 pm

... couldn't help myself :)
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

Bauxite
Gerbil Elite

if you can't beat 'em, smother 'em

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:54 pm

I sharpie/black tape the hell out of everything I own. Also purge all the blinking crap from the bedroom, you'll sleep better for sure.
TR RIP 7/7/2019

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:57 pm

biffzinker wrote:
Black electrical tape has been handy for overly bright LEDs for me.

Same. Even the not overly-bright LEDs. I stuck electrical tape on the LED on all the devices (well, 3 devices) in our bedroom. The biggest offender is the Entone TV box that gets software updates from my fiber provider overnight. At 2am it'd turn on with its bright blue LED and the separate wireless box with all its green and amber lights would start dancing. I covered both of those and even the innocuous white LED on my Apple TV. Sleep in peace.

edit: that multi-colored jbi is probably the single best piece of image editing I've ever done, which says I'm f***ing terrible at editing images.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:52 am

My cable modem has blue LEDs on the front, which I've taped off. Even still, enough light comes out the back of the LEDs that it's able to shine though the modem's air vents. Being behind my TV, it's annoying to have any amount of light pollution, but I don't want to block off ventilation.

I suppose I could open the modem and paint over the back of the LEDs with black nailpolish. I never thought about nailpolish until someone here mentioned it.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:03 am

The Egg wrote:
My cable modem has blue LEDs on the front, which I've taped off. Even still, enough light comes out the back of the LEDs that it's able to shine though the modem's air vents. Being behind my TV, it's annoying to have any amount of light pollution, but I don't want to block off ventilation.

I suppose I could open the modem and paint over the back of the LEDs with black nailpolish. I never thought about nailpolish until someone here mentioned it.

Any chance of relocating it? We put ours up on a high shelf; so at least it is out of your direct line of sight when you are watching TV, which makes the LEDs less obnoxious.

liquidsquid

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:18 am

Note that if you go from a Blue LED to some other color, you can simply add a resistor in-series to what it already present to drop the current to what the LED will handle. What you need to know is the forward conducting voltage drop. Simple:

If = (Vsupply - Vf) / (Rnew + Rold)

So if your supply is 3.3V, and your new LED has a Vf of 2.1V (red for example), existing resistor is 33 ohms, and you want to drop current to 2mA (reasonable on most LEDs and will still be plenty bright)

Re-arrange to solve for Rnew:

Rnew = Rold - (Vf - Vsupply) / If

Plug in:

Rnew = 33 - (3.3 - 2.1) / 0.002
Rnew = 630 ohms
Find the closest 5% value and that will be good enough, err on the side of the lower value from this, which is 620 ohms, or if you don't mind a little dimmer, 680 ohms may be a little more available.

Hope this helps.

I HATE blue LEDs, even on those dumb little car cell phone chargers they think it is a great idea to put a blindingly bright blue LED on those, and it light up the interior of the car at night. Dumb dumb dumb! Make it red and dim. IMHO it should change color according to charging current provided so you know if your phone is quick-charging or not.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:20 am

ThatStupidCat wrote:
So those nice bright blue LEDs were nice and cool in the beginning but now they absolutely drive me nuts.

They never were nice and cool, I hated them from the start.

I drilled them out of my antec sonata III way back when and put in (soft glow non-laser type) a big green one for power and a big red one for HDD. Gave that build (case included to my brother) I miss those LEDs every day.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:27 am

just brew it! wrote:
The Egg wrote:

Any chance of relocating it? We put ours up on a high shelf; so at least it is out of your direct line of sight when you are watching TV, which makes the LEDs less obnoxious.

Right now I've got it mounted vertically on the wall, low, and right next to the router. Don't really have any other good spots in the vicinity, plus with the way I've got the cable line tacked down back there, I'd pretty much have to gut all the wiring behind the TV to get at it.

Another possibility would be to make some sort of cardboard shroud that blocks the light from reflecting upward. Even though I wouldn't be directly blocking the vents, this may prevent free passage of upward-radiating hot air, though. I'm really leaning towards the black nailpolish, but I'll have to take a look at the unit itself later to see how feasible it is.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:06 am

I'm planning on giving these a try soon: LightDims. The reviews seem to be mostly positive.

I used a black Sharpie to color over the green LED on a smoke detector to achieve a decent level of dimming, but still keeping the LED visible. Sharpie ink also has the advantage of being easily removable with isopropyl alcohol.

On our home security panel (in the bedroom, facing the bed), the bright green and red LEDs were recessed into the panel and shining through a hole, so I taped multiple layers of plain old white paper over that hole, which dimmed the light considerably and also diffused the flashlight effect (the round circle of light that can be seen on the opposite wall). By varying the number of layers of paper I can control the level of dimness. I would assume that dark-colored paper would work even better.

My next target is the cable box and TV (both facing the bed), but luckily they both use red LEDs, so they're not too obnoxious. We also have a carbon monoxide detector with a recessed red LED.

Now, if only I could do something about the cat waking me up at dawn! :x