Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: What's the last piece of tech you regret buying?

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:41 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Logitech mice are the cat's pajamas.
Thirded, I have the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex Performance Edition Gaming Mouse very nice and very fine response. Before that I had the Logitech G400 which was a fine mouse but I killed the cord from bending where it entered the mouse. Have since learned to suspend the mouse cable off the back of the desk with a small weight so that its always in tension and does not flex the cable at the mouse.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 am3+ 4x2GB DDR3 2xIntel X25-M G2 Samsung 830 & 850 Pro XFX Radeon HD 7870 BenQ FP241VW 24" Logitech G710+ & G400 SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ WinXP64Pro Back-UPS NS 1250

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:41 am

Mr Bill wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Thirded, I have the Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex Performance Edition Gaming Mouse very nice and very fine response. Before that I had the Logitech G400 which was a fine mouse but I killed the cord from bending where it entered the mouse. Have since learned to suspend the mouse cable off the back of the desk with a small weight so that its always in tension and does not flex the cable at the mouse.

If you do wear out another cord most Logitech mice allow it to be swapped out. They can be found on ebay for $3 shipped and it's far easier and simpler to do than say, fixing the double-clicking issue.

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:41 pm

The Egg wrote:
Back in early 2005, I bought a Mitsubishi 2070SB 22" monitor which was supposed to be the pinnacle of CRT tech.  While it's true that the colors were amazing and it had support for a huge number of resolutions and refresh rates, anything above 1600x1200 @ 60hz looked like fuzzed-out crap.  The monitor had the ability, but the analog VGA connection didn't have the bandwidth.  

This meant that I generally ran my $600+ monitor at a paltry 1280x960 while everyone else was running 1680x1050 or better.  Sure, I was running at high refresh rates with almost zero input lag, but that's still a painfully low resolution for the price I paid.

A lot of the CRTs depended on the tube and the geometry, along with the electronics. I ran my Sony CRT until 2 years ago at 1900X1200@100 for years on VGA with nary a problem.
Abit BP6 2X 300A@450 mhz, 1.5 GB PC133 ECC, Renditon Verite V2200, SB AWE32, Adaptec 2940U2W, 4.3GB Quantum Atlas 10K, Plextor Ultraplex

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:46 pm

There was also a huge variation in quality of analog outputs on video cards in the early '00s. Matrox had the best, NVIDIA the worst, and ATi was somewhere in between. On many NVIDIA cards, a poorly designed EMI filter on the VGA output signals was partially responsible. I modded several GeForce cards to disable the EMI filter (remove the capacitors and short out the inductors adjacent to the VGA connector), which helped some; but I think those GPUs just tended to have crappy DACs.

Quality of VGA cables was all over the place too. Sometimes you could clear up a fuzzy, smeary display just by replacing the VGA cable.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

Larochepiano
Gerbil In Training

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:10 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

thanks to everybody who replied, I'll look into Logitech then :)

setaG_lliB
Gerbil

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:47 pm

A few years ago I bought Klipsch RF82 speakers and paired them with a Pioneer AV receiver. That combination was brighter than the sun and not at all pleasant to listen to. I bought the speakers because their copper colored woofers looked so cool and high tech. I bought the Pioneer because, well, it had a THX sticker on it.   :oops:

Little did I know that Klipsch speakers were bright to the point of sounding harsh, and that Pioneer receivers were also quite trebly. Together, they sounded terrible and were actually quite hard on the ears. In fact, the crappy Sony HTIB that I was "upgrading" from had a more balanced sound than the Klipsch/Pio setup!

Never, ever buy audio equipment based on looks!

Noinoi
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Bear with me, but in retrospect... a certain small tower CPU cooler named the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO. Turns out it couldn't handle the hotter days in the perpetual summer without running the fans higher than what I'd have liked when the computer is working hard or stewing in GPU-related heat.

At least it was dirt cheap, relatively speaking, so no harm done.
i5-4590 | Kingston 2x8GB | Asus Strix GTX 970 | Asus Z97-Pro Gamer | Kingston Fury 240GB + WD Black 2TB | Windows 10 Anniversary Update

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Noinoi wrote:
Bear with me, but in retrospect... a certain small tower CPU cooler named the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO. Turns out it couldn't handle the hotter days in the perpetual summer without running the fans higher than what I'd have liked when the computer is working hard or stewing in GPU-related heat.

At least it was dirt cheap, relatively speaking, so no harm done.

That was actually my go-to replacement for AMD's crappy retail HSFs through most of the AM2+/AM3/AM3+ era. Inexpensive, and way less annoying than the stock coolers. Yes, at full speed it isn't exactly silent; but the only thing that pushed it to consistently run full blast was Folding@home in the summertime, which I simply don't do any more (I only fold during the colder months now).
-- Steven Wilson

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:08 pm

I'm starting to regret recommending an RX 470. :-/
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

AbRASiON
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:30 pm

Playstation 4.
I love console gaming because it's a fixed platform.
The PS4 Pro has completely screwed that concept up.  It's bad for the traditional console gaming model.  That ability to relax and know you need not even consider upgrading for 5+ years.

I loved that thing but this Pro move is VERY frustrating as a now hardened console gamer for a decade.
(Sold my PS4 due to this)

Noinoi
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:44 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Hmm, why? It seems like a pretty good card on its terms.
i5-4590 | Kingston 2x8GB | Asus Strix GTX 970 | Asus Z97-Pro Gamer | Kingston Fury 240GB + WD Black 2TB | Windows 10 Anniversary Update

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:18 am

Noinoi wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Hmm, why? It seems like a pretty good card on its terms.

That's why I recommended it. When it works, it's fantastic. A great 1080p card that can run just about everything its owner has thrown at it with plenty of power to spare.

Unfortunately we're having driver install issues with both 16.12.1 and 16.12.2. Both of them were fixable. 16.12.1 also would blank the monitor after about 8 minutes of Diablo 3. Newer games weren't a problem with ReLive, but we had to roll back nonetheless. 16.12.2 hasn't done that yet, at least. Reverting to 16.11.5 has been solid, too, so it's not the card. While I'm glad to see so many folks in article comments have said that AMD's drivers have been much improved, things like this affect me personally. It's frustrating, because I want to believe.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

clocks
Gerbil

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:37 pm

About a year ago I replaced a perfectly fine 1080p TV with a 4k tv.  Even with the little 4k content available, I see little to no difference in picture quality.  Granted, I do not have the greatest eye site, but it seems really hard to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:06 pm

Unless you are sitting close to a big screen then you probably were OK with 1080p
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size ... lationship

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:56 pm

setaG_lliB wrote:
A few years ago I bought Klipsch RF82 speakers and paired them with a Pioneer AV receiver. That combination was brighter than the sun and not at all pleasant to listen to. I bought the speakers because their copper colored woofers looked so cool and high tech. I bought the Pioneer because, well, it had a THX sticker on it.   :oops:

Little did I know that Klipsch speakers were bright to the point of sounding harsh, and that Pioneer receivers were also quite trebly. Together, they sounded terrible and were actually quite hard on the ears. In fact, the crappy Sony HTIB that I was "upgrading" from had a more balanced sound than the Klipsch/Pio setup!

Never, ever buy audio equipment based on looks!

'Yes' to that last statement, and Klipsch's horn tweeters are a love-em-or-hate-em thing among audiophiles.  But the reaction you describe is typical when hearing a source producing a reasonably flat output for the first time, since almost no satellite/subwoofer combo can do so (and many intentionally do not).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

DPete27
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:25 pm

AbRASiON wrote:
Playstation 4.
The PS4 Pro has completely screwed that concept up.  It's bad for the traditional console gaming model.  That ability to relax and know you need not even consider upgrading for 5+ years.

What do you expect when the PS4/XB1 couldn't even render games at 1080p when they were launched and now 4k TVs are quickly grabbing market share.  #PCMasterRace

@derFunkenstein:  That sucks.  My guess is that your issue is pretty isolated and is likely not related to the fact that you bought an RX470 in particular.  The RX470 is an incredible value, I've seen them for $125 after MIR.  If it's any consolation though, I upgraded my RX480 to the 16.12 driver and my framerates in Rise of Tomb Raider dropped from 72 to 47.  Not sure what the hell happened, I needed one more night to finish the game, so I soldiered through it and put it away.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on things during my next gaming session(s) though.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:31 am

I purchased a Phillips SHP9500 and VMODO Boom Pro Mic for my mother to give to me for Christmas..

-great sound, good construction, good fit, excellent pairing (of mic and headphone).. and,

..couldn't wear them for more than about 20 minutes before my ears started to overheat badly - and badly enough that they felt warm (psycho symptomatic) for a few hours later (..after having worn them for those 20 minutes). :(

Newegg return fees were horrendous (..and thankfully the mic was purchased with a trial of Amazon Prime).  Oh well. :oops:

Delta9
Gerbil In Training

Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:01 am

Shockingly M$ did me twice. The ill fated tech purchases were made within months of each other and I obviously require getting burned more than once to learn a lesson. For Xmas 2007 I purchased myself a Xbox360 HD-DVD drive and a copy of Fear and Loathing (No regrets on the movie or the video quality of the format). Seven or eight days later came the unofficial announcement that HD-DVD was toast, the official announcement came a few weeks later. The next big f*ck up a few months later was buying a Zune. I need not elaborate on the Zune. It was a black brick of DRM, frustration, and futility.  Those would be the two biggest tech regrets.

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:34 am

Delta9 wrote:
The next big f*ck up a few months later was buying a Zune. I need not elaborate on the Zune. It was a black brick of DRM, frustration, and futility.  Those would be the two biggest tech regrets.

I heard those were pretty good once they were flashed, that someone made some good firmare for them.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:10 am

Kougar wrote:
Delta9 wrote:
The next big f*ck up a few months later was buying a Zune. I need not elaborate on the Zune. It was a black brick of DRM, frustration, and futility.  Those would be the two biggest tech regrets.

I heard those were pretty good once they were flashed, that someone made some good firmare for them.

I believe the Zune is still Captain Ned's portable music device of choice.

I was a die-hard Sansa Clip+ (re-flashed with Rockbox firmware) fanboy for years. Over the past few months, I have come to grips with the fact that my LG G4 smartphone (with paid version of the Poweramp app) is likely a better music player, all things considered.
-- Steven Wilson

Delta9
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:00 am

Kougar wrote:
Delta9 wrote:
I heard those were pretty good once they were flashed, that someone made some good firmware for them.

The device was much better once the firmware was sorted out. The wife wanted the Zune, so every time it erased itself (after a firmware upgrade, randomly if not connected to the pc with Zune software, and all the little quirks), I would hear about it. Ended up buying a cheap little Sansa for her, and flashing the Zune into a USB hard drive. I wanted badly to use it as wireless NAS, but that never came to fruition. 

Krogoth
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:01 am

AbRASiON wrote:
Playstation 4.

I loved that thing but this Pro move is VERY frustrating as a now hardened console gamer for a decade.

PS4 Pro and upcoming Xbox One refresh are just stand-gaps trying to play on "4K crazy" and "VR Craze". They don' even have the hardware to render current generation content at 4K resolution. They make more sense for VR rendering (high framerate at 720p/1080p).
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC3-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.

AbRASiON
Gerbil XP

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:10 am

DPete27 wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:
Playstation 4.

What do you expect when the PS4/XB1 couldn't even render games at 1080p when they were launched and now 4k TVs are quickly grabbing market share.  #PCMasterRace

That's not my concern, I'm a console gamer.  I am content with 'nice enough' graphics and a _consistent goddamn platform_ they are 'breaking the rules' of console gaming and it's crappy.
As you said, may as well become a PC gamer, this is not how console is meant to go.  It's a very poor move in my opinion.   Bad for gamers who just want to relax and play, not be concerned with "is this version the best?"

AbRASiON
Gerbil XP

Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:10 am

Krogoth wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:
Playstation 4.

PS4 Pro and upcoming Xbox One refresh are just stand-gaps trying to play on "4K crazy" and "VR Craze". They don' even have the hardware to render current generation content at 4K resolution. They make more sense for VR rendering (high framerate at 720p/1080p).

Agreed but they segmented the market regardless.

DPete27

Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:48 am

(sorry this is wandering from the thread purpose)
My point was that the PS4/XB1 were under-powered at launch to survive the traditional 10 year lifespan.  It was a poor design decision to not supply each console with enough horsepower to run games at the industry standard TV resolution (1080p) at industry standard framerates (60fps) but was ultimately driven by a hardware cost target.  They also came at an inopportune time given that VR and 4k arrived shortly after.  I honestly haven't been keeping up with the news of PS4 Pro/XB1+ and their hardware to know if they'll fare any better for a lengthy lifespan or not.  I know the PS4/XB1 only launched 3 years ago, but maybe ~5 year cycle is the new normal.

The PS4 Pro and XB1+ are really what the original PS4/XB1 should've been in terms of hardware.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

wingless
Gerbil XP

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:22 am

Several years ago I bought a GTX 760 2GB. I should have bought the 4GB because I later went with SLI. 760s in SLI have more than enough power to use the full 4GB frame buffer. I suffered when I played through Shadow of Mordor.

I suppose it all worked out because it was my impetus for buying a GTX 980, which is as fast as the two 760s, but with 4GB and no SLI(less stutter). The 980 ended up being one of the best purchases I've made.
Intel Core i7 2600K | 16GB DDR3-2133 | ASUS P8Z77-V Pro | Silverstone 750W | ASUS Strix GTX 980 OC | ASUS Xonar DSX/S.M.S.L. M2 USB DAC | Samsung 840 Pro | A bunch of HDDs and a lot of TBs.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:25 am

DPete27 wrote:
(sorry this is wandering from the thread purpose)
My point was that the PS4/XB1 were under-powered at launch to survive the traditional 10 year lifespan.  It was a poor design decision to not supply each console with enough horsepower to run games at the industry standard TV resolution (1080p) at industry standard framerates (60fps) but was ultimately driven by a hardware cost target.  They also came at an inopportune time given that VR and 4k arrived shortly after.  I honestly haven't been keeping up with the news of PS4 Pro/XB1+ and their hardware to know if they'll fare any better for a lengthy lifespan or not.  I know the PS4/XB1 only launched 3 years ago, but maybe ~5 year cycle is the new normal.

All consumer electronics is considered disposable now. You need look no further than the lack of user-replaceable batteries in an ever-increasing percentage of mobile gadgets if you need evidence of this.
-- Steven Wilson

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:07 pm

Krogoth wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:
Playstation 4.

Not to mention that feature creep is killing the experience. I have checked and re-checked to make sure my Xbone is in "instant on" mode, and it still takes a good 30-40 seconds to get to a point where I can actually do something. In another thread, Glorious mentioned that jumping in and out of the launcher is easier and faster today than was possible on the Xbox 360 or PS3. That's a true statement (sorta), but it's becoming less and less true with each update. I have a feeling that at least some of my lag is caused by waiting for in-launcher ads to load. I've been a console gamer for 30 years, but I'm less and less enamored with it every generation. I don't regret my console purchases, and every game for the foreseeable future should run fine on the "original" hardware. But I'm increasingly less likely to continue the trend. Maybe it's time to build an HTPC instead.
I control the groove

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:27 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
In another thread, Glorious mentioned that jumping in and out of the launcher is easier and faster today than was possible on the Xbox 360 or PS3. That's a true statement (sorta), but it's becoming less and less true with each update. I have a feeling that at least some of my lag is caused by waiting for in-launcher ads to load.

I haven't touched a PS4 since the week after UC4 dropped, and I think the last time I used a Xbox One was from before that.

So my experience at least 6 months out of date, and it might be colored more by how I felt they did a better job than the previous generation than how of a job they did overall.

I was mostly getting at how the reserved core design was intended to provide that kind of seamless experience. Whether or not they borked it up anyway, then or now, is almost tangential.

And for someone like me, who doesn't go in for camera and voice gimmicks, a lot of that is superfluous anyway. Dump it, dump everything in favor of snappy regular UI please.

derFunkenstein wrote:
I've been a console gamer for 30 years, but I'm less and less enamored with it every generation.

Hey, as a historic PC gamer who like 6 years or ago wondered if his increasing use of the 360+ps3 was going to be trend in which he wouldn't be PC gaming much anymore, Wow. What was I thinking? I went halfsies on a PS4 to play the new uncharted and I'm like, well now what? I'm back on the PC bandwagon.

DancinJack

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:42 pm

AbRASiON wrote:
DPete27 wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:
Playstation 4.

That's not my concern, I'm a console gamer.  I am content with 'nice enough' graphics and a _consistent goddamn platform_ they are 'breaking the rules' of console gaming and it's crappy.
As you said, may as well become a PC gamer, this is not how console is meant to go.  It's a very poor move in my opinion.   Bad for gamers who just want to relax and play, not be concerned with "is this version the best?"

What you are saying directly flies in the face of that though. Your last sentence even says "Bad for gamers who just want to relax and play, not be concerned with 'is this version the best?'" What do you care if the PS4 Pro is out now? You bought a PS4. You're sitting there saying you should be happy with it because "console gaming" and yet you're upset that a newer version (akin to a new graphics card in the PC space) came out. I don't get it.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100