Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: What's the last piece of tech you regret buying?

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:46 pm

DancinJack wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:
DPete27 wrote:
What do you expect when the PS4/XB1 couldn't even render games at 1080p when they were launched and now 4k TVs are quickly grabbing market share.  #PCMasterRace

That's not my concern, I'm a console gamer.  I am content with 'nice enough' graphics and a _consistent goddamn platform_ they are 'breaking the rules' of console gaming and it's crappy.
As you said, may as well become a PC gamer, this is not how console is meant to go.  It's a very poor move in my opinion.   Bad for gamers who just want to relax and play, not be concerned with "is this version the best?"

What you are saying directly flies in the face of that though.  Your last sentence even says "Bad for gamers who just want to relax and play, not be concerned with 'is this version the best?'"  What do you care if the PS4 Pro is out now?  You bought a PS4.  You're sitting there saying you should be happy with it because "console gaming" and yet you're upset that a newer version (akin to a new graphics card in the PC space) came out.  I don't get it.

That's a little but disingenuous, Jack. You're not seriously arguing that he should be happy with a PS3? "You can still play all the games if you still have a working console, right?"

It's a given that at some point in the future there's going to be a game that requires the Pro, whether that's Sony's intention or not.

On a more personal note, I've always wanted a game console, but every time I save up the money for one I use it to buy a top-end video card, which is oddly around the same amount of money. It's happened every cycle since the PS2 came out.

Then again, the only remaining console exclusive I've cared about it Red Dead Redemption, and the jury isn't out that it won't still get a port someday.
I have never understood the mindset of folks who are very hostile to science and progress and yet still use the products produced by the use of science, and still live in a modern society as well.

DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:53 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:
That's a little but disingenuous, Jack. You're not seriously arguing that he should be happy with a PS3? "You can still play all the games if you still have a working console, right?"

It's a given that at some point in the future there's going to be a game that requires the Pro, whether that's Sony's intention or not.

On a more personal note, I've always wanted a game console, but every time I save up the money for one I use it to buy a top-end video card, which is oddly around the same amount of money. It's happened every cycle since the PS2 came out.

Then again, the only remaining console exclusive I've cared about it Red Dead Redemption, and the jury isn't out that it won't still get a port someday.

I don't think so, no. Why is it a given that there will be games that require the Pro? I'm not saying he should be happy with a PS3, mostly because you can't play all the same games on the PS3 as you can the current generation.

Sony wrote:
It’s important to note that PS4 Pro is not another generation of console. It won’t make your current PS4 games obsolete, and it won’t split the PS4 player base. PS4 Pro is very much a part of the PS4 family.

There will not be any PS4 Pro-exclusive games. Because PS4 Pro and the standard PS4 are members of the same family, both systems will be fully compatible with all past, present, and future PS4 titles, including PlayStation VR. All PS4 games are PS4 Pro games, and vice-versa.

That is the distinction I'm talking about. The PS3 is a whole other generation of hardware, while the PS4 Pro isn't at all. I have a very hard time believing developers are going to out games that run on only the PS4 Pro considering the market penetration of the original PS4, even if they CAN do that.

edit: added another quote from Sony.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:00 pm

DancinJack wrote:
That is the distinction I'm talking about.  The PS3 is a whole other generation of hardware, while the PS4 Pro isn't at all.  I have a very hard time believing developers are going to out games that run on only the PS4 Pro considering the market penetration of the original PS4, even if they CAN do that.

edit: added another quote from Sony.

I'm not saying Sony is planning to.
I'm not saying Sony will want to.
I'm saying Developers are going to.

The Pro hardware is going to get used for more than up-sampling, it's simply a matter of time. It's possible that this will happen so late in the cycle that no one cares (or still has a PS4 Classic), but timing is pretty much the only variable.

Although I doubt it, it's possible that the PS4 Classic will be able to run all those newer, late-cycle games, but even so the experience won't be the same.

As an analogy, I can play every game I own on my secondary PC with a GTX 650. It's not awesomely fun and I generally don't do it, since my main rig has a R9 390, but I *could*. I also *don't* unless I have to.
I have never understood the mindset of folks who are very hostile to science and progress and yet still use the products produced by the use of science, and still live in a modern society as well.

DancinJack

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:04 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

The Pro hardware is going to get used for more than up-sampling, it's simply a matter of time. It's possible that this will happen so late in the cycle that no one cares (or still has a PS4 Classic), but timing is pretty much the only variable.

Although I doubt it, it's possible that the PS4 Classic will be able to run all those newer, late-cycle games, but even so the experience won't be the same.

As an analogy, I can play every game I own on my secondary PC with a GTX 650. It's not awesomely fun and I generally don't do it, since my main rig has a R9 390, but I *could*. I also *don't* unless I have to.

I don't know how you can just say that with no evidence whatsoever. I'm done with this for now though.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:04 pm

I just don't believe them because they're Sony. Their word has been worthless in the past. There's no evidence now, but they can always change their tune.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Vhalidictes wrote:

+++++++++++ MUAR PLUSES. QFT!!!!!

I remember how some of the multiple platform titles worked like crap on the PS3 in the previous generation.

Yes, developers won't pay as much attention to the experience on the PS4 not-plus as they do the PS4 plus. It might not even take that long. It's a -very- easy situation for them to fall into, because the hardware is basically the same but merely clocked faster/more modular gpu units. That is the literal recipe for a laggy, hitching crap on the slower platform that they shipped anyway to make their dates and fulfill market projections for the faster platform.

I mean, I'm actually astounded that anyone honestly believes otherwise. Incredulous even.

It's a given. Put money on it. The developers won't, because we already know they don't.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:08 pm

Funny.  

I grew-up on the first consoles, and left them in the '80s where they belong.  (..and that's not an elitist sentiment, PC's have a level of flexibility that consoles will never have - and that flexibility adds value for a multitude of reasons.)

Hell, if consoles are "better", then a singular arcade game must be the pinnacle of gaming (..and what did I grow up with before/during consoles? Arcades.)

..anyway, this thread is going south and needs some on-course correction. :wink:

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:48 pm

CScottG wrote:
I grew-up on the first consoles, and left them in the '80s where they belong.  (..and that's not an elitist sentiment, PC's have a level of flexibility that consoles will never have - and that flexibility adds value for a multitude of reasons.)

Everyone has a different opinions on what a "console gaming experience" is, but there's no substitute for getting several people together in quick-n-easy casual gameplay.  The Wii is very good for this.  We even fire up the N64 sometimes and live like actual troglodytes.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

AMDisDEC
Gerbil

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Jaguar XK-8!
Worst piece of junk I have ever brought.
Will never ever ever even think about buying a Jag again, and even in my next life.
ASUS K8N-DL | Dual 860 Opterons | 4GB ECC

Marios145
Gerbil In Training

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm not sure if a racing wheel counts but a logitech wingman formula gp was my last buy that i regret, because 2 weeks after i bought it, i found a brand new top-quality wheel on sale(230E->50E) at an electronics store due to new models arriving, but i couldn't afford it because i had already spent my money.
That wheel has no FF, i can only turn it 90-120 degrees and the whole thing is cheap-looking.

Before that, the only thing I regret buying is a crappy mobo, around 2002-2003, i don't even remember the brand but the model was "mk35v" i think, absolutely horrible. Couldn't even oc more than 50mhz without it crashing or getting fully unstable and it costed 100 euros.

DancinJack

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:26 pm

Marios145 wrote:
Before that, the only thing I regret buying is a crappy mobo, around 2002-2003, i don't even remember the brand but the model was "mk35v" i think, absolutely horrible. Couldn't even oc more than 50mhz without it crashing or getting fully unstable and it costed 100 euros.

http://global.shuttle.com/products/prod ... ductId=621

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:25 pm

Marios145 wrote:
I'm not sure if a racing wheel counts but a logitech wingman formula gp was my last buy that i regret, because 2 weeks after i bought it, i found a brand new top-quality wheel on sale(230E->50E) at an electronics store due to new models arriving, but i couldn't afford it because i had already spent my money.

Euro (or your country's own) consumer protection doesn't allow you 30 days for returns (regardless of reason)?

I think in the US we only get screwed on that for CPU's, and even then most retailers will allow you to return the item w/in 30 days (..unless it's an open-box item, as-in an item that was previously returned before you purchased it and usually at a discount, or something similar that specifies no-returns).

Hell, I watched a guy in Fry's Electronics (US Electronic "Super"store) bitch and moan until they accepted a return from him that was.. get this, over two years old.  (..I could not believe that, dude had balls as big as church bells).

Moral of the story then is: if you are in that sort of situation - try getting the item returned (and if its a brick and mortar retailer - make sure you aren't getting hit with a return fee). 

AbRASiON
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:52 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

I don't know how you can just say that with no evidence whatsoever.  I'm done with this for now though.

I'm guessing you're new to technology or gaming.  It's an exceedingly logical conclusion to make based on the data.
Besides even if the PS4 and Pro will always be capable of running the same games, the Pro will always always impact the PS4 games through time. 
Historically PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 all had developers 'eek out' incredibly insane performance and graphics in the last days of the lifecycle of the console.  They had to and did it, some of the later games are exceptional.
Now, that same level of effort will instead be put into PS4 Pro games, the incentive to do this "ooh wow" thing for the old hardware, won't be there.
ALSO I should be able to buy a console and through its 5-8 year life, know that I've got "the best" that company can offer for 8 years, I can rest easy I'm not 'missing out'.  There's no need to read PS4 Pro reviews or PS4 PRo versions of reviews, it's a nice, simple fixed platform with the focus on the games.
This is not a normal move for the console scene and it's frustrating and annoying as someone who had previously switched to consoles.
I WILL say I agree, I can enjoy the PS3 by ignoring the PS4 and just focus on my PS3 and the huge backlog I have, which would have otherwise ignored.  So I'm glad I sold my PS4 and to stick with the thread, I regret the purchase.

mi1stormilst
Gerbil

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:42 am

Probably the HyperX Cloud Stinger...these sound worse than my $20.00 MonoPrice headphones.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:01 am

Before my recent purchase of over-ear headphones that I couldn't take due to ear-heating, was a RAPOO wireless mechanical keyboard.

It's at once very good: looking, construction (even the feel of the ABS keycaps are about the best ABS keycaps I've ever felt), as a wireless keyboard, with mechanical switches.. and YET,

-the switches are linear!  POS!  (I had no idea it had Chinese yellows or even that they were poor MX Black copies.) My missed keystroke number is just pitiful, and I think the actuation isn't always precise either. To make matters worse all the keys have this weird exaggerated slant (front to back downward) where I'm constantly hitting the keys in the next row "up" when moving to a key in that next row.  (..and many of the keys are non-standard, so while I could replace keycaps, I couldn't do it for some of the keyboard.) Finally, it has a tiny shift key on the right side making it almost impossible to use that key (..but I knew that going into it), oddly though I rarely try to use the right shift key (so unlike the other issues it's not so bad for me).

eh, despite all that it is still (mostly) usable for what I bought it for (..which was more of an occasional-use keyboard for my server).

I'll note though that one of my recent keyboard-related purchases that I am pleased with were really cheap Chinese double-shot PBT keycaps with back-lit lettering. Here is the white version:
http://www.banggood.com/White-Dual-Shot ... 84996.html

The bottom row often has problems on a standard keyboard (spacebar is usually to short), but that's about it. Additionally these don't have quite the premium feel (or sound) of a thicker keycap, but the price more than makes up for that.  Finally, it's delivered via a slow-boat from China (literally) - taking almost 2 months before receiving them (in the continental US).

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:14 am

CScottG wrote:
Before my recent purchase of over-ear headphones that I couldn't take due to ear-heating, was a RAPOO wireless mechanical keyboard. ...

Hey, the POO is built right in to the name! :wink:
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

michaelthepro
Gerbil In Training

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:24 am

For me it's Moto G4 Plus,
The device gets hot even while doing normal works like browsing the web, camera. There is also screen burning issue and battery drains like hell after the nougat update. Though, camera is far better than its competitors. 

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:04 pm

just brew it! wrote:
CScottG wrote:
Before my recent purchase of over-ear headphones that I couldn't take due to ear-heating, was a RAPOO wireless mechanical keyboard. ...

Hey, the POO is built right in to the name! :wink:

Damn-it!  Another obvious tell-tale warning sign I missed! :lol:

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Finally an honest company. No need to call it a POS, because they did it for you.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

tootercomputer
Gerbil In Training

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:39 am

Hmm.  I usually do lots of research before buying hardware and have been pretty luck.  Biggest regret, probably an Asrock mobo, a z68, cannot remember the exact model.  I bought it in the spring of 2012.  It still runs, I have a sandy bridge 2500k on it OCed to 4.5GHz. (one of the most awesome CPUs ever).  It was a great overclocking mobo, I'll give it that.  But the sound card on it sucked, and the usb 3.0 was a total pain, I finally had to install a separate usb 3.0 card.  I had lots of weird things happen with that system, more than any other I've built.  I had to re-install the OS a couple of times.  I've had other mobos that were "difficult" so to speak, or did not overclock well.  But never had a mobo with so many problems.   

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:49 am

tootercomputer wrote:
But the sound card on it sucked,

Just out of curiosity, in what way? Interference/static from GPU? Skipping/stuttering? Insufficient volume (or lack of bass) when directly driving headphones? Issues like this (at least the first two... third one is still annoyingly somewhat common) do still happen sometimes, but seem to have become fairly rare with the more reputable mobo vendors.

tootercomputer wrote:
and the usb 3.0 was a total pain, I finally had to install a separate usb 3.0 card.

ASMedia USB 3.0 chip? Those seem to be especially problematic. My SOP for fixing motherboard USB issues is to install a PCIe USB 3.0 card with an NEC/Renesas chip on it. Life's too short to waste time fighting with crappy USB 3.0 chipsets.
-- Steven Wilson

techie19
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:05 am

A laptop with no SSD.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:30 am

techie19 wrote:
A laptop with no SSD.

At least this is easily remedied.
-- Steven Wilson

Larochepiano
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:16 am

The Razer Deathadder mouse, the middle mouse button stopped working after 5 months, I didn't read reviews, I thought oh what could go wrong with a razer product.

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:01 am

just brew it! wrote:

Boot laptop
Use "emergency decrypt" (CE-Infosys) option that boffins didn't block (oops). Wait for the 2-3 days it takes.
Reboot laptop with CHNTPW live CD
Activate disabled local admin account and blank password
Reboot laptop as local admin and password the new local admin account
Uninstall CE-Infosys (it plays boot sector games and a bare-metal Macrium clone failed because of it)
Use Macrium to clone HDD to SSD
Replace HDD with SSD (HDD is so buried in the stacks in my office I'd have trouble finding it now)
Reinstall CE-Infosys (gotta keep the boffins unawares)
Do not delete local admin account
Encrypt SSD from CE-Infosys (gee, it goes so much faster on an SSD)
Enjoy
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:12 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Boot laptop
Use "emergency decrypt" (CE-Infosys) option that boffins didn't block (oops).  Wait for the 2-3 days it takes.
Reboot laptop with CHNTPW live CD
Activate disabled local admin account and blank password
Reboot laptop as local admin and password the new local admin account
Uninstall CE-Infosys (it plays boot sector games and a bare-metal Macrium clone failed because of it)
Use Macrium to clone HDD to SSD
Replace HDD with SSD (HDD is so buried in the stacks in my office I'd have trouble finding it now)
Reinstall CE-Infosys (gotta keep the boffins unawares)
Do not delete local admin account
Encrypt SSD from CE-Infosys (gee, it goes so much faster on an SSD)
Enjoy

I feel like just reading that makes me eligible for 3-5 years.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:31 pm

ludi wrote:
I feel like just reading that makes me eligible for 3-5 years.

What it really means is that if you have direct access to the hardware, you can own it. Period.

That, and a firm belief that I WILL have root on any boxen issued to me. My local boffins have to know given how many issues I've pointed out to them just because I have root. I care nothing about domain admin credentials, I just want to have the ability to update the laptop upon Flash/Java updates without involving the boffins.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

screenwizard94
Gerbil

Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:09 am

I regret buying the Asus Zenfone Max. It is so slow:/

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:19 am

screenwizard94 wrote:
I regret buying the Asus Zenfone Max. It is so slow:/

Really? I'm curious about that: my devices are decently fast,  and they're all based on the Snapdragon S4 Pro, which is the 32-bit older brother to the Zenphone Max's CPU (the Snapdragon 410).

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:54 am

S4 Pro used Krait 200 cores (the S4 Pro in the 2013 Nexus 7 is closer to a Snapdragon 600), and most of the time they could reach 1.7GHz or more, like my Galaxy S4's SD600. Snapdragon 410 uses Cortex A53 cores that max out at 1.2GHz. It wouldn't surprise me to find out it's slower than Krait-based devices.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove