Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

alrey
Gerbil

Re: What's the last piece of tech you regret buying?

Sun May 01, 2016 9:23 pm

I don't remember which one is last:

1. Samsung series 7 slate - one of the first windows tablet running on win 7. running hot and abysmal battery life.
2. Samsung tab - first 7 inch tablet that can be used as a phone with a headset. slow and with pauses from time to time.
3. Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm barracuda drive - runs very hot and all 4 I bought died within 18 mos.

kvndoom
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 02, 2016 1:55 pm

solo_clipper wrote:
kvndoom wrote:
Blackberry Playbook.

drops mic

That's hilarious, I am actually typing this on a Playbook as we speak. Darn thing won't die. All the Android tablets that our family purchased after this are dead and gone. This old tank still has excellent battery life, surfs the web just fine, plays any video I have and has the best sound when connected to the stereo than any Apple device we have. For the $200 I paid well over 3 years ago it has been a very good buy.

I will give you all points except for web browsing. The only halfway competent browser that thing had when I got rid of it in 2014 was Omega, and even it hadn't been updated in forever. The ipad mini I replaced it with has been nothing short of wonderful.
"No I don't want the Ask toolbar! No I don't want Bing as my default search! No I don't want to make Chrome my default browser!"
"Good grief, man! WHAT are you trying to install on that poor computer?"
"Antivirus."

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sun May 08, 2016 4:18 am

The Egg wrote:
Geez, I gotta start checking Goodwill for computer stuff. I always wanted to mess around with a 386+387. Then again, I don't need to develop any old computer stuff hoarding problems (which I've had beginning symptoms of in the past).

You really should! Or maybe shouldn't, depending. :lol: It varies by the location of the store as some are much better than others for tech, but a few years ago I found a new, still-boxed Pentium Pro CPU at a Goodwill for a few bucks.

localhostrulez

Sun May 08, 2016 2:08 pm

Dang - my local one has classic rock CDs and computer monitors, but no actual computers. And the one near my hometown has nothing noteworthy at all.

Koerpott
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:49 am

chµck wrote:
This thing about 10 years ago when I was in highschool.

Tried hard to recall something that I regretted buying and then I saw this. This helped me remember when I bought an mp3 player/ movie player back when mp3 was still in its infancy. I can't quite recall the brand though, pretty sure it was a famous brand though. Anyway, it was pretty buggy some features weren't really useful. The only thing that made me buy the thing was how pretty the UI was. Planned to return it several times but just never got around to it.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:33 am

Asus Zenfone 6 and Asus Google Nexus 7 2013. Very fragile build quality. Nexus only survived for 12 months while Zenfone is having SIM card and microSD disconnection issues just 8 months in. And i don't abuse these things. I don't throw them around. I don't sit on them. (I dropped my Zenfone on a marble/porcelain floor last month though and things got even worse.)

In contrast, my kid threw my cheap Samsung tablet on the floor and I accidentally dropped it myself. Not a scratch on it. Same with my previous Samsung tablet (1st gen). I also usually put my previous Xperia (MT27i) in my denim pocket and I never had physical-related problems with it.

Asus needs to learn a thing or two about structural rigidity.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Ryhadar
Gerbil XP

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:45 am

Late 2006, my first PC build. I did most of my research on how to build it, but did very little on what to build it with. Despite doing most of my research online I somehow managed to miss that sites benchmark hardware *shrug*. As a result, I based my build on a Pentium 4 Prescott at 3.06GHz because "I've always had Intel and have been happy with them." :roll:

I knew AMD was better at the time, but disregarded it because I thought it'd be too expensive and learning about Hypertransport made me nervous I'd pick the wrong type of memory (for some reason FSB made more sense to me). Keep in mind too that Core 2 had basically just released and the motherboard I picked out would not support a drop in upgrade. :oops:

The 7600GT I picked out with my first build was a good buy, though I did regret not buying a 7900GS for about $30 more. I think I used that for 3-4 years before upgrading to a Radeon 4670, if I recall correctly.

...now that I think of it I wasn't very happy with my first build after I educated myself. Ah well, it all worked out.

*Edit* - After looking at my newegg account history I actually purchased a Pentium 4 Cedar Mill (the 65nm ones). So, that's better? I guess? :D
Last edited by Ryhadar on Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:51 am

Pluggable USB 3.0 2x1 Switch. It works well, but the problem is it has retina-searing blue LEDs that turn night into a blue day. Too cheap to send back, so I cracked it open (literally) to teach those LEDs a lesson. But they're integrated into the switches. It looks like my only recourse is to tape them over.

Takeshi7
Gerbil

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:17 am

I bought a PCI Geforce MX4000 for my old computer. Unfortunately the motherboards PCI slot can't provide enough power (or something) because it worked in 2D mode, but any 3D application would cause my computer to instantly reset.

Not worth the effort to return it because it was so cheap, and I know the card still works. So now it's just sitting there until I need a PCI graphics card for something.

wizardz
Gerbil

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:53 am

an 80gb zune!

i even spent extra to have it custom engraved with "Zune Originals" engraving..

thing is a beast tho.. has been my defacto incar music system for the past decade. then i got a smartphone and the Zune has most likely never seen daylight again, heck it's probably still in the glovebox compartement!

Vhalidictes
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:07 am

A 4-port SDHC (note, not SDXC, I noticed that when I bought it, nothing over 32GB for you!) to SATA Raid-0 drive shell.

Specifically, this thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2 ... UTF8&psc=1

The worst part is that it works perfectly. All of the specs were accurate. Small detail: the SATA side is SATA-1! Yes, no AHCI support. So it really doesn't matter that it works fine, it's also completely slow and useless.

At least I didn't have a specific use for it, if I had it wouldn't have worked.
I have never understood the mindset of folks who are very hostile to science and progress and yet still use the products produced by the use of science, and still live in a modern society as well.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:14 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
A 4-port SDHC (note, not SDXC, I noticed that when I bought it, nothing over 32GB for you!) to SATA Raid-0 drive shell.

Specifically, this thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2 ... UTF8&psc=1

The worst part is that it works perfectly. All of the specs were accurate. Small detail: the SATA side is SATA-1! Yes, no AHCI support. So it really doesn't matter that it works fine, it's also completely slow and useless.

At least I didn't have a specific use for it, if I had it wouldn't have worked.

Heh. So it's basically a "build your own really crappy 128GB SSD (flash chips not included)" kit!
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

Kretschmer
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:33 am

XFX 290X last year. Wicked cheap (~$270 after MIR), but I've run into a lot of quirks that weren't' even a possibility with the preceding 660Ti. Finally looks like I'll have to RMA it due to hardware graphical corruption. I should have just spent the extra $300 for a 970Ti/GSync Display.

Voldenuit

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:34 am

wizardz wrote:
an 80gb zune!

thing is a beast tho.. has been my defacto incar music system for the past decade. then i got a smartphone and the Zune has most likely never seen daylight again, heck it's probably still in the glovebox compartement!

Poo-brown, I hope.

It was a really pretty color despite the online disparagement it received. I liked the subtle green highlighting on the edges

As for me, my most recent snafu was a seagate (harhar) 8 TB hard drive. The drive did not have middle mounting holes on the sides or bottom, so did not fit the drive sleds or side panel mount on my Phanteks Enthoo Evolv (mATX) case. Returned it and got a 6 TB toshiba instead.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

wizardz
Gerbil

Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:36 am

Voldenuit wrote:
wizardz wrote:
an 80gb zune!

Poo-brown, I hope.

nah it was actually got the black one. iirc, the brown one was the 30gb version.

localhostrulez

Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:49 pm

ronch wrote:
Asus Zenfone 6 and Asus Google Nexus 7 2013. Very fragile build quality. Nexus only survived for 12 months while Zenfone is having SIM card and microSD disconnection issues just 8 months in. And i don't abuse these things. I don't throw them around. I don't sit on them. (I dropped my Zenfone on a marble/porcelain floor last month though and things got even worse.)

In contrast, my kid threw my cheap Samsung tablet on the floor and I accidentally dropped it myself. Not a scratch on it. Same with my previous Samsung tablet (1st gen). I also usually put my previous Xperia (MT27i) in my denim pocket and I never had physical-related problems with it.

Asus needs to learn a thing or two about structural rigidity.

I'm surprised about the Samsung - my mom bought a Galaxy Tab II 10". It was cheap to begin with, never was that nice, and then she got an iPad Air 2 (and loves it). The Samsung sat around for a while, we finally took it out to do something with it, and the battery had drained all the way and fried itself (couldn't get it to recharge). Talk about a crappy design.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:16 pm

localhostrulez wrote:
The Samsung sat around for a while, we finally took it out to do something with it, and the battery had drained all the way and fried itself (couldn't get it to recharge). Talk about a crappy design.

That's a known issue with Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries when stuck in storage for extended period of time without a healthy top up charge, and even then they deplete down to a zero charge unless you plug it in while it sits unused/storage it will become a dead/nonfunctional battery.

While nickel-based batteries can be stored in a fully discharged state with no apparent side effect, Li-ion cannot dip below 2V/cell for any length of time.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/ ... _batteries
Core i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz | ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 | 16GB DDR3-2133 MHz 9-10-10-29 @ 1.505mV | XFX Radeon RS RX 480 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB (Boot) | SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB | Phantek Eclipse P400S | EVGA 850 BQ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

localhostrulez

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:49 pm

It's very easy to do that if you forget about the device for a while, as we did. If you build a device and don't do *something* to protect against that, you're an idiot.

Thing is, I see this all the time on devices, often for many months, and it's fine. Probably not the best way to store it, but it doesn't outright kill it either. The Samsung only went a few weeks, and sent itself past the point of no return purely on its own. Must've drained itself to just *barely* above that point, shut off, and then self discharge knocked it right over the edge (then the safety kicked in and wouldn't let it recharge). Something along those lines. I seem to recall it's a known issue on that model.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:57 pm

Had it happen to a Toshiba laptop battery myself it ended up dead non-rechargeable for the same reason.
Core i7-4790K @ 4.6 GHz | ASUS Z97-E/USB3.1 | 16GB DDR3-2133 MHz 9-10-10-29 @ 1.505mV | XFX Radeon RS RX 480 8GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB (Boot) | SanDisk Ultra II 480 GB | Phantek Eclipse P400S | EVGA 850 BQ | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

TravelMug
Gerbil

Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:13 pm

The XFX R9 380X DD XXX OC card a few weeks ago. I needed something temporary with decent features, they've had this on stock and figured how bad can it be? Surely all cards are OKish nowadays. Big mistake. The card gets hot and the fans spin up quickly which means an annoying growling noise at around 50% and then that plus simply loud when they get to 65-70% under any gaming load. Custom profile for fans keeping them under or at 50% is not really a solution, because then it simply overheats. Bonus - apparently only the Sapphire TRIXX app is able to modify the voltage on this card and that app does not really save the voltage changes plus it has problems saving and restoring fan profiles as well. All in all, not a great purchase, may replace it sooner than at the end of this year as originally planned. Mostly running it at 972Mhz at -60mV to keep it at reasonable noise levels.

Frugal
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:47 pm

An Acer quad core Pentium Windows 10 convertible notebook.

At idle the battery discharges faster than the charger can charge, most of the time it's a shiny brick, I wasn't able to power it up the last time I tried.

mac_h8r1

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:33 pm

I don't know if I regret it, but I bought the Zalman Reserator 3 MAX self-contained liquid cooler for my CPU. Might have been 2 years ago at this point, I'm afraid to look up the receipt. It's still sitting under my desk, unopened.
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.

Voldenuit

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:08 pm

TravelMug wrote:
The XFX R9 380X DD XXX OC card a few weeks ago. I needed something temporary with decent features, they've had this on stock and figured how bad can it be? Surely all cards are OKish nowadays. Big mistake. The card gets hot and the fans spin up quickly which means an annoying growling noise at around 50% and then that plus simply loud when they get to 65-70% under any gaming load. Custom profile for fans keeping them under or at 50% is not really a solution, because then it simply overheats. Bonus - apparently only the Sapphire TRIXX app is able to modify the voltage on this card and that app does not really save the voltage changes plus it has problems saving and restoring fan profiles as well. All in all, not a great purchase, may replace it sooner than at the end of this year as originally planned. Mostly running it at 972Mhz at -60mV to keep it at reasonable noise levels.

Ouch. On the bright side, doesn't XFX have an upgrade program (not sure if you have to pay or sign up for it)? So you could get a RX 480 or 1060Ti/1070 in a few months' time.

Frugal wrote:

Ah, acer. Where the windows sticker is the sturdiest part of the notebook.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:30 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
Ah, acer. Where the windows sticker is the sturdiest part of the notebook.

In their defense, my Aspire 1410 is still holding up well.
Hakkaa päälle!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|SanDisk Ultra II 480GB|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45|Logitech MX 518 & F310|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX

localhostrulez

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm

Frugal wrote:

At idle the battery discharges faster than the charger can charge, most of the time it's a shiny brick, I wasn't able to power it up the last time I tried.

Is that on a USB charger or something?

If there's one thing those sorts of Atom/SoC machines are good at, it's battery life per Wh. I got ~2.5-7W draw on a Stream 11 (N2840/11" 1366); my t450s uses ~3.5W-12W in general (5200U + 14" 1080). Quite a sluggish machine though - I ended up selling it quickly. The t450s is "portable enough" as a travel machine. :wink:

TheRazorsEdge
Gerbil First Class

Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:27 am

MSI something-or-other netbook.

I thought "web on the go" would be awesome.

Abysmal performance, inadequate LCD brightness for outdoor use, unimpressive battery life, and limited wifi coverage (at the time) rendered it almost useless.

I could browse in bed---if I didn't want to watch any video or visit any sites with extensive PDF or Flash content.

I'm sure newer devices offer much better experiences, but the smartphone/tablet form factors are just far more convenient.

localhostrulez

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:06 am

On that note, I should add my iPad (mini 2) to the list.

The iPad serves as an awkward in between compared to my phone and 14" laptop - it doesn't fit in my pocket (not convenient), it doesn't fit in one hand, and it's awkward to use. I use the phone for quick stuff/on the go usage, and if I'm going to carry more, I jump straight to the laptop (which I need all the time for school anyway; I carry a backpack or nothing). As a result, the iPad sits around and never gets used. I keep telling myself it makes a good ereader and so I should keep it, but I end up using the laptop for textbooks anyway, so... time to finally sell the iPad?

astrotech66
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:09 am

Not much lately, but I have some regrets from years past:

1. SyQuest SparQ parallel port drive - it quit reading disks shortly after I bought it and then the company went out of business. It took me several years before I could bear to toss it out.
2. Zip750 parallel port drive - I backed up a few photos on a couple of disks and then never used it again. Another item I held on to way too long before tossing it.
3. WD Media Center 250GB USB drive - I never used it enough to justify buying it. I still have this in a box in my garage.
4. Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 memory - I bought 2 x 1GB DIMMS (I think) and then decided it wasn't enough, so I bought some other larger capacity memory immediately. It basically was never used, but I still have it sitting in a box nine years later.

The demise of the parallel port has greatly reduced my bad purchases.

The Egg
Gold subscriber

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:19 pm

Nexus 7 tablet (2013). Like localhostrulez, I found the 7" form factor to be an awkward in-between which isn't particularly useful (to me). Despite being a Nexus device, I still get irritated with Android at times, and it currently has an idle battery bug with 6.0.1 which forces me to completely shut down after each use, else it will idle through a battery in about ~24hrs.

I've tried master resets, clearing hidden caches, etc....no luck. I suppose the battery itself could be tired, but I haven't put enough charge cycles on it to justify that, and the in-use battery life seems relatively unaltered.

ryan2112
Gerbil In Training

Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:12 am

I regret buying a soundbar and fitness tracker.

1) A soundbar isn't as flexible compared to 2.1 or 5.1 channel speakers, hence you can't keep them anywhere other than under your tv or next to it. If you have a big house and sit away from your TV then you either need to up the volume of your speaker or move your furniture closer to it.

2) Secondly a fitness tracker isn't that capable of tracking everything that you need. I bought one just to use the pedometer function, and got to know it sucks in that department in more worse way than any other function, lately I also read an article that shows that different fitness trackers track different step count for same distance.

I won't recommend trackers to anyone.