Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: What's the last piece of tech you regret buying?

Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:51 am

ryan2112 wrote:
I regret buying a soundbar and fitness tracker.
I won't recommend trackers to anyone.

Soundbars generally offer poor quality sound for the price compared to other options.  I'm willing to live with the large floor-standing speakers and subwoofer in my home theater because they sound awesome.  When I purchased them, sound quality was more important to me than compactness or aesthetics.

On the fitness tracker front, I will not condemn them entirely.  Since I bought a Garmin device four months ago, I've lost 33 lbs.  It doesn't matter to me whether or not the step count is completely accurate.  The fact that it provides a fairly consistent measure of activity and integrates with the MyFitnessPal app is sufficient for the purpose.

I believe that I tend to enjoy my tech purchases more than most folks do.  I'm disappointed with my original Nexus 7 tablet because its performance has become so poor as to be unusable, but it wasn't bad when it was new.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:38 am

OTOH, soundbars are perfect for people who don't have a lot of space and just want something that sounds better than the crappy speakers built in to the TV. There's a reason they are so popular.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
Soundbars are perfect for people who don't have a lot of space and just want something that sounds better than the crappy speakers built in to the TV. There's a reason they are so popular.

Adding a powered subwoofer can go surprisingly far to improving the audio experience with tinny built-in speakers in televisions and monitors.
i7-6700K, NT06-Pro, GA-Z170N-Gaming5, 32 GiB, 980Ti, SM951, 5TB HDD, Blu-ray, FTZ01, SX600-G, 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:22 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Soundbars are perfect for people who don't have a lot of space and just want something that sounds better than the crappy speakers built in to the TV. There's a reason they are so popular.

Adding a powered subwoofer can go surprisingly far to improving the audio experience with tinny built-in speakers in televisions and monitors.

Depends. I've seen TVs where the problem wasn't just lack of bass; the sound coming from the built in speakers was so muddy and muffled that you could barely understand dialogue. A sub isn't going to help much (if at all) with that.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

yogibbear
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:45 am

I'm struggling to think of anything... (I spend quite a bit of time researching things before I buy them).... maybe a pull saw that I got on a whim while buying some sand paper that cost $20. But more because I probs used it on the wrong surface and de-teethed it doing the 1 job I needed it for.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Hallucin8
Gerbil

Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:56 am

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
MSI something-or-other netbook.

I thought "web on the go" would be awesome.

Abysmal performance, inadequate LCD brightness for outdoor use, unimpressive battery life, and limited wifi coverage (at the time) rendered it almost useless.

I could browse in bed---if I didn't want to watch any video or visit any sites with extensive PDF or Flash content.

I'm sure newer devices offer much better experiences, but the smartphone/tablet form factors are just far more convenient.

Same boat - wasn't powerful enough to do much, but was small, wife used it for a few months until the novelty wore off. Now it collects dust, unless I can try and trick somebody into buying it.

Kretschmer
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:32 am

I bought a 60hz 34" 21:9 IPS to replace my 144Hz 27" IPS and feel like it is too large of a gaming downgrade, despite showing amazing color and destroying all productivity tasks.

Duct Tape Dude
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:40 am

Kretschmer wrote:
I bought a 60hz 34" 21:9 IPS to replace my 144Hz 27" IPS and feel like it is too large of a gaming downgrade, despite showing amazing color and destroying all productivity tasks.

I'm trying to avoid expensive mistakes, so a question for you: suppose the monitor was 100Hz instead of 60Hz. Would you feel that 34" 21:9 1440p is still worthwhile for gaming and especially productivity?

Acidicheartburn
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:32 pm

Last one I can think of was buying the 256 GB 850 Pro (even on sale for $150) for my old laptop thinking I could spruce it up with an SSD and upgrade to Win 8 for much faster startup times.  I didn't check beforehand if my laptop is compatible with Win 8 (it's not, the Wifi won't work on Win 8 ) and I didn't check to see if my laptop has SATA III (it doesn't).  So I am left with a $150 charge for an SSD that isn't able to reach its potential in a laptop that can't even run the OS I wanted to install on it.  My laptop is still faster than with the 500GB WD Black that was in there, but I'm not getting anywhere near the start times I expected.  :(    First world problems.

trackerben
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:40 pm

Not just any BTX case, but a micro BTX from Coolermaster. Never found a decent Intel 9-series board to install in it.

Kretschmer
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:06 am

Duct Tape Dude wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:

I'm trying to avoid expensive mistakes, so a question for you: suppose the monitor was 100Hz instead of 60Hz. Would you feel that 34" 21:9 1440p is still worthwhile for gaming and especially productivity?

Yes and no.
For gaming, you're only as happy as your GPU horsepower.  Meaning if I have to choose between 2560x1440 @ 100Hz and 3440x1440 @ 60Hz, I'll choose the fluidity of the former every time.  Also note that many games flat out refuse to render 21:9 for competitive reasons, so even a tri-SLI GPU god would still not be using the real estate.  Assuming equal price, the smaller screens always have better responsiveness for gaming.
Similarly, the paucity of 21:9 content on streaming sites and the like makes the format ill advised for that purpose.  While you can run your content at 16:9, that suggests that you're paying for space that isn't in use.
For productivity, nothing beats a 21:9 1440P display.  You can fit multiple windows side-by-side or host a giant window with bezels or windows multiscreen issues.  It's an amazing setup, and you learn to miss Windows + <rightarrow> on smaller displays.
With an unlimited budget for GPU and monitor, there's no reason to avoid a 100+Hz 1440P 21:9 screen.  If you're monetarily constrained and care about more than productivity, a smaller, more focused screen will be the better buy.

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:20 am

Kretschmer wrote:
Also note that many games flat out refuse to render 21:9 for competitive reasons

Which I continue to find amazingly dumb, but I digress..

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:49 am

trackerben wrote:
Not just any BTX case, but a micro BTX from Coolermaster. Never found a decent Intel 9-series board to install in it.

I had no idea micro-BTX cases were even a thing. I never saw a BTX case of any size in the wild, actually - I and everyone else I knew were going AMD builds then.

Krogoth
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:58 am

DrCR wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:
Also note that many games flat out refuse to render 21:9 for competitive reasons

No, the real reason is because it is an still tiny minority in the aspect ratio world. Developers or publisher never bother spending the extra time for QA or code the GUI for it.

16:10 was in the sane boat before HDTVs (16:9) became commonplace when lead to widescreen gaming. The rest of the world back then was riding on 5:4 and 4:3.

Aspect ratio =! FOV in gaming
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC3-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:59 am

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
trackerben wrote:

I had no idea micro-BTX cases were even a thing. I never saw a BTX case of any size in the wild, actually - I and everyone else I knew were going AMD builds then.

We had a few BTX form factor HP desktops where I used to work in the mid-aughts. IIRC (I may be mistaken) at least one of them was even an AMD-based system.

Krogoth
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:
trackerben wrote:

We had a few BTX form factor HP desktops where I used to work in the mid-aughts. IIRC (I may be mistaken) at least one of them was even an AMD-based system.

AMD never had any BTX boards. The chassis probably have support ATX/BTX factors. One of the reasons why BTX died is because the DIMM slots were too far away from CPU socket which posed a problem to silicon that used integrated memory controllers. It is the main reason why AMD never pick it up. Intel faced the same problems with Nehalem project (which lead to Bloomfield/Lynnfield) which forced them to abandon BTX.

BTX had many cool ideas and it still superior to ATX. I'm really surprised that Intel hasn't tried to new factor factor yet (more minimization).
Ivy Bridge i5-3570K@4.0Ghz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GiB of PC3-12800, EVGA 660Ti, Corsair CX-600 and Fractal Refined R4 (W). Kentsfield Q6600@3Ghz, HD 4850 2x2GiB PC2-6400, Gigabyte EP45-DS4P, OCZ Modstream 700W, and PC-7B.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:16 am

Krogoth wrote:
AMD never had any BTX boards.

Incorrect.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 38164.html

Kretschmer
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:25 am

Krogoth wrote:
DrCR wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:

No, the real reason is because it is an still tiny minority in the aspect ratio world. Developers or publisher never bother spending the extra time for QA or code the GUI for it.

16:10 was in the sane boat before HDTVs (16:9) became commonplace when lead to widescreen gaming. The rest of the world back then was riding on 5:4 and 4:3.

No, we've seen games like Overwatch where 21:9 was working...before being removed as an option for competitive reasons.

Concupiscence
Gerbil XP

Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:26 am

It wasn't the last piece of tech I regretted buying, but I really wonder why purchasing an XGI graphics card seemed like a good idea to me at the time. To date the Volari V5 Ultra is the only piece of (ostensibly) working graphics hardware I've returned less than 24 hours after purchase.
Workstation: Ryzen 1700X, 16 gigs DDR4-2400, RX 480, Win10 Pro x64 / Xubuntu 17.04
Plaything: 2008 Mac Pro, 2x Xeon E5462s, 6 gigs ECC DDR2-800, GTX 660 Ti, El Capitan / Win10 Pro x64
HTPC: i3 4170, 8 gigs RAM, Geforce GTX 1050 Ti, Windows 8.1 x64

Krogoth
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elder

Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:27 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
Krogoth wrote:
DrCR wrote:

No, we've seen games like Overwatch where 21:9 was working...before being removed as an option for competitive reasons.

That's bloody silly. Aspect ratio does nothing for twitch shooters. It is the FOV. I think Blizzard just took the easy way out instead of fixing it with proper FOV settings.

IMO, eSports is the cancer killing video gaming. Overwatch is just joke as far as competitive games are concerned.
Last edited by Krogoth on Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kretschmer
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:32 pm

Yeah, DOTA 2 doesn't support real 21:9, as well (the game zooms in, reducing real estate).  You can't even place a 16:9 gaming area in the middle of the 21:9 screen in exclusive fullscreen mode, creating some non-obvious annoyances.  Since 21:9 users are minimal (there are dozens of us!  dozens!), it's probably easier to stiff them than manage any sort of controvery.
Between aspect ratio limiting, extra GPU load, lower refresh rate, ghosting, and a paucity of 21:9 video content, I'm looking to offload my gorgeous 34" screen for a return to the MG279Q.  It's a shame, because the 34UM88 is easily the most gorgeous screen that I've ever owned and an absolute dream for productivity/daily use (e.g. forums and movies side-by-side, or Excel workbooks and a presentation).

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:08 pm

Back in the day my Dad bought a Cyrix 5x86 computer, with a PCChips motherboard that had the fake cache SRAM. This was about the time that Windows 95 was current, so that's what I had on it. That thing was as unstable as nitroglycerine. I used it for homework at the time, and I lost many an essay to that stupid thing (didn't have a fancy word processor with autosave... think it was mostly AbiWord that came on a 3.5"?). If I knew then what I know now, I would have removed the motherboard and CPU and backed over them a few times

Pytho
Gerbil In Training

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:11 pm

Windows 10

Dysthymia
Gerbil

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 pm

I regretted building my first gaming PC on the Socket 939 platform, since it's successor was released within two or three months. Then Intel's Core processors started coming out. Now I know to anticipate release cycles and time my purchases more optimally. ( :

Captain Ned
Gold subscriber
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:59 pm

Regret?

The Wii Fit in the year it first came out. I was under strict orders from SWMBO that failure to procure a Wii Fit during that Christmas season would not be tolerated. I acquired the Wii Fit at a substantial markup to list price to meet the demands of SWMBO. It was used in a desultory manner for a few months and then stuffed into the end cabinet by the couch, where it remains to this day. It still has the original AA batteries in it, so I'm sure it's a bloody green oxide mess that might not even be recoverable by now.
If the Earth were flat, cats would have pushed everything off of it by now.

Mikael33
Gerbil

Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:35 pm

Logitech G502 perhaps, the additional buttons are kind of nice, I use the back and forward ones a ton but as for the much better sensor it has (compared to the mouse I had with a $20 logitech KB/Mouse combo) I don't even really play FPS games so it hasn't really helped me "rek noobs" or whatever. In the MMO's I used to play (SWTOR and WoW) I didn't use the additional buttons either, felt awkward to use, but at least it wasn't that expensive, I think I paid like $60 for a refurbished model on ebay, learned when I got it that it didn't include the weights though.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Regret?

The Wii Fit in the year it first came out. I was under strict orders from SWMBO that failure to procure a Wii Fit during that Christmas season would not be tolerated. I acquired the Wii Fit at a substantial markup to list price to meet the demands of SWMBO. It was used in a desultory manner for a few months and then stuffed into the end cabinet by the couch, where it remains to this day. It still has the original AA batteries in it, so I'm sure it's a bloody green oxide mess that might not even be recoverable by now.

Interested in parting with it? My son loves his Wii.

Duct Tape Dude
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:53 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
Yes and no.
For gaming, you're only as happy as your GPU horsepower.  Meaning if I have to choose between 2560x1440 @ 100Hz and 3440x1440 @ 60Hz, I'll choose the fluidity of the former every time.  Also note that many games flat out refuse to render 21:9 for competitive reasons, so even a tri-SLI GPU god would still not be using the real estate.  Assuming equal price, the smaller screens always have better responsiveness for gaming.
Similarly, the paucity of 21:9 content on streaming sites and the like makes the format ill advised for that purpose.  While you can run your content at 16:9, that suggests that you're paying for space that isn't in use.
For productivity, nothing beats a 21:9 1440P display.  You can fit multiple windows side-by-side or host a giant window with bezels or windows multiscreen issues.  It's an amazing setup, and you learn to miss Windows + <rightarrow> on smaller displays.
With an unlimited budget for GPU and monitor, there's no reason to avoid a 100+Hz 1440P 21:9 screen.  If you're monetarily constrained and care about more than productivity, a smaller, more focused screen will be the better buy.
Awesome! Thanks for the perspective, Kretschmer. I've got the Samsung CF791 on preorder after stacking 2-3 different 10% off offers, hoping it'll be a boon to working from home and moderate gaming alike.
I rely heavily on Win+arrowkeys and Windows 10/Linux Mint's tiling+workspaces at 1080p right now, and it's a lifesaver. Makes me hate working in OSX.

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:39 am

I use a Logitech gaming mouse (older model) myself for work, and I cannot imagine being without it -- but then I have 4 monitors side by side, so being able to readily twitch across that much screen real estate is really nice.

I started by max weighting the mouse and then slow upping my mouse sensitivity every week or so as I got used to it incrementally. For the past few years now I've had the mouse maxed out and window's mouse setting slider just shy of maxed out, and that feels just right. What would have seemed to heavy and utterly too twitchy initially is now something I would not want to be without.

So depending on how much screen real estate you have, you may want to find some weights on the cheap and see if the mouse comes into its own as you up the sensitivity. But then if your work is slow paced, it may simply not matter for you.

Mikael33 wrote:
Logitech G502 perhaps, the additional buttons are kind of nice, I use the back and forward ones a ton but as for the much better sensor it has (compared to the mouse I had with a $20 logitech KB/Mouse combo) I don't even really play FPS games so it hasn't really helped me "rek noobs" or whatever. In the MMO's I used to play (SWTOR and WoW) I didn't use the additional buttons either, felt awkward to use, but at least it wasn't that expensive, I think I paid like $60 for a refurbished model on ebay, learned when I got it that it didn't include the weights though.

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:47 am

Krogoth wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:
Krogoth wrote:

That's bloody silly. Aspect ratio does nothing for twitch shooters. It is the FOV. I think Blizzard just took the easy way out instead of fixing with proper FOV settings.

IMO, eSports is the cancer killing video gaming. Overwatch is just joke as far as competitive games are concered.

I find eSports fine in a narrow scope. The International was really fun to watch, for example. Games like Overwatch just seem really dumb to me. I feel like I could just fire up Urban Terror or any other such game on a decade old computer if I wanted that kind of gaming. But then maybe I'm just getting older and becoming more krogothed with age.