Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

What's the last piece of tech you regret buying?

Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:55 pm

This can be anything that can be plugged in or uses a battery.

If you're in the stone age then anything that's mechanical.

So I'll start this off. I bought two 24" monitors b/c they were on sale. Same stuff but I've just been adding to my "collection." The problem is that it turns out I really didn't need these but I've owned them past their return date (by 5 months). So I sent two monitors to my mom's in case I'm there and need them. Still have 1 spare here.

Also bought a lot of jump drives. They just add up each time there's a "sale" somewhere. It's like I've got an OCD to buy another jump drive when it's on sale. Oh look, this 16GB jump drive that was $24.99 when it first came out is now $4.99. $Ka-Ching! ARGHHHHH!!!! Waiting for the 256GB 3.0 ones to go on sale for $30 (most likely this coming 2016 Black Friday) and I know I'm not going to be able to resist. Even the cat has his own set of jump drives. Looks like I'll need more cats soon.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: What's the last piece of tech you regret buying?

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:24 pm

I'm cheap and so tend to research carefully. The last such piece was... a fan? Bought it years ago, and it's a perfectly fine fan, I just wish I'd gotten a 4-pin one so it was automatically controlled instead of having a knob.

I've wasted far more money on Steam games that I don't like and/or don't play than I have hardware.
Hakkaa päälle!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|SanDisk Ultra II 480GB|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45|Logitech MX 518 & F310|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX

anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Wow that's a tough one.

Maybe my 3rd hand vehicle, too many options in it and it's distracting. Last LTZ Chev I get.
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

anotherengineer
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:31 pm

bthylafh wrote:
I'm cheap and so tend to research carefully. The last such piece was... a fan? Bought it years ago, and it's a perfectly fine fan, I just wish I'd gotten a 4-pin one so it was automatically controlled instead of having a knob.

I've wasted far more money on Steam games that I don't like and/or don't play than I have hardware.

Weird, all my 3-pin fans are voltage controlled by mobo/bios!! Been there with fans though hard to find one to suit personal preference. The issue I found with 3-pin voltage control is sometimes when booting the bios would set it to around 4V and the fan wouldn't start. I tried out a scythe Kama Flow 2 900 rpm fan, close to perfect as I ever found in a 120mm 3-pin. Bought 2 spares, good thing I did, since discontinued (well can't find them in Canada).........sigh, I even like them better than my noctua's which were collecting dust in their box, so put them in mom's and friends PC the other day.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... -1_14.html
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:25 pm

Just bought 2 motherboards for laptop repairs for other people last week. One got coffee spilled on it (no power on, obviously dead right?) while the second came to me "diagnosed" as a dead motherboard. The power light came on, but no fan and no screen.

Turns out the coffee laptop needed a little more drying time, and the other laptop had a LOOSE display cable. It didn't boot because the previous "fixer" had removed the HD to save data. Put the HD in, let it boot, connect HDMI cable and boom, works great. Pull apart the screen and plug the cable in an extra millimeter, laptop is fixed. Turns out the fan doesn't turn on immediately when you turn the laptop on, only when it gets warm enough (like when it boots properly).

I discovered both of these upon receiving the replacement boards. I then discovered one of the sellers had a no returns policy except for DOA. We'll see how that turns out shortly.
[ - THIS SPACE FOR RENT - ]

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:59 pm

This is "sort" of regret, and mostly because of the extra amount I paid.

I'd put off purchasing a system for a long time - since 2010. The old system finally gave-up (..tick, tick, went the hard disk), but the truth is that I hadn't played any new game on it for several years - always hoping that something significant would come-along. (..The Witcher 2 effectively broke my old computer game-wise, couldn't get more than 20 FPS from it and it often had low's well below 7 FPS.) :oops:

Well, at least something (in a certain respect) did "come-along": Skylake and lower power use. Now this isn't to replace a gaming build, but I'd wanted a VM server for several uses, not the least of which was a secure browsing experience that I could keep "on". A 24/7 machine and a machine that I could VNC into (from a tablet and gaming computer) and use without suffering all-manner of maleficent malware on that tablet and gaming system (..or the system colonoscopy of anti-viral programs intending to thwart that malware).

Because this system is of the 24/7 variety, I wanted ECC memory. That of course complicates things.

I could still get an i3 (which supports ECC memory), BUT I had to have a chipset on the motherboard that also supports it. Additionally I needed ECC memory that was supported by the motherboard itself. Skylake processors were slow to market.. so I waited (and after about 3 months they were available near their recommended price from Intel). Then I waited longer for a motherboard, particularly one that wasn't too costly (as in nearing $300). A few more months went by and finally Supermicro had C236 motherboards that could actually be purchased. As far as on-board chip-sets were concerned, I thought that was "it" with respect to ECC. Get a server board and then get compatible memory.

Of course the problem was that this is sort of a "utility" system I'm building here, cost is an issue and while the i3 was about $120, the m-board was almost double that and the memory was more than double that (..for 2 sticks of 16 GB). Still, I didn't foresee any reduction in price any time soon and to some extent I was correct.

While the memory I purchased has gotten cheaper, it hasn't gotten much cheaper. BUT there is one exception now at about only 2/3rds the price I paid. :oops:

Worse, about 3 months after making the purchase, m-board manufacturers released C232 m-boards. A chipset I'd never expected, nor one I'd ever heard from a tech source (including Techreport) as being something that will be manufactured with soon. :evil:

Long story short: I could have saved about $250 by waiting 3-4 months, and it was a wait I could have put up with. :oops:

-I'm just hoping I don't get hosed when I start my gaming-rig build. :P

On a more cheery note: I don't regret the $245 I paid for my wacom/"surface pro 2" digitizer tablet from China. Ironically it's now a $100 more expensive. :o (..the Cube i7 stylus.)

End User
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:11 pm

I use Windows ironically

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:29 pm

Seagate 3TB External Backup Drive, if only I'd of know the model of the hard drive before I bought it. :P
It would take you... 2233 continuous hours or 93 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could... Speed run Super Mario Bros (NES) 26,800 times.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:37 pm

End User wrote:

BOONDOGGLE!

Reminds me of my Creative Labs Sound Blaster XiFi Fatal1ty because it had that on-board memory that was going to be so important - and I was future-proofing my purchase. Uggg. :cry: :lol:

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:40 pm

End User wrote:

But you still get to have your PhysX if you have a Nvidia card. Unlike us AMD Radeon users who are artificially shut out.
Last edited by biffzinker on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It would take you... 2233 continuous hours or 93 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:42 pm

The 660, just cause I picked it up somewhere around two weeks before the 760 released.
I'm a reasonable human being...at least once a year. Most other times I'm a catgirl.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:43 pm

CScottG wrote:

Reminds me of my Creative Labs Sound Blaster XiFi Fatal1ty because it had that on-board memory that was going to be so important - and I was future-proofing my purchase. Uggg. :cry: :lol:

But the card is still great, infact i personally would rate it one of the best for gaming.

CScottG
Gerbil Elite

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 pm

Jigar wrote:
CScottG wrote:

But the card is still great, infact i personally would rate it one of the best for gaming.

A good card at the time, and even a good one now assuming you have an m-board with a pci slot.

Still, it wasn't $200 good at the time I purchased it, and it never became $200 good because the added memory was never used.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:57 pm

Savyg wrote:
The 660, just cause I picked it up somewhere around two weeks before the 760 released.

You forgot about the odd 192-bit memory bus that only managed peak memory bandwidth for the 1.5 GB, the last 512 MB was slow similar to a Geforce GTX 970.
Got me when I was trying to play Max Payne 3 with a Geforce GTX 660.

toki
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Well, I didn't do my homework when getting a motherboard recently. I like the motherboard I got. It's just that it's on the lower end of the spectrum, like bottom end really and it just doesn't let me do a few of the things I would really like to get in there and do and also let all of my other pieces run up to their possibilities. It's my own fault and I know it. I just really wish I would have done more research on the board and not been so impulsive about it.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:02 am

toki wrote:
Well, I didn't do my homework when getting a motherboard recently. I like the motherboard I got. It's just that it's on the lower end of the spectrum, like bottom end really and it just doesn't let me do a few of the things I would really like to get in there and do and also let all of my other pieces run up to their possibilities. It's my own fault and I know it. I just really wish I would have done more research on the board and not been so impulsive about it.

What board was it?

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:44 am

CScottG wrote:
Jigar wrote:
CScottG wrote:

A good card at the time, and even a good one now assuming you have an m-board with a pci slot.

Still, it wasn't $200 good at the time I purchased it, and it never became $200 good because the added memory was never used.

Do you have the IO console that came with it ?

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:19 am

A case fan, for full price, at Best Buy. Because I needed it before the end of the week.

Not only did it not work out for the PC in question, but I later went digging through a box of random PC/electronics heatsinks and brackets I had forgotten about in the workshop, and discovered a whole mess of case fans that had vanished from my radar.

Hence the regret.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Topinio
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:44 am

My latest regret is from 3 years ago, a pair of Toshiba Stor.E Canvio 3TB USB drives (HDWC130EW3J1) which suck due to compatibility silliness ( http://goughlui.com/2013/10/02/experime ... tb-drives/ ) that I only found out about after deployment: they are flakey in the extreme, though do recover after a day's chkdsk, and are also prone to exceeding spec temps unless stood on end with a fan pointing at them :cry:

Prior to that, a Creative Labs Cobra joypad in ?1999 where I bought the gameport version instead of the USB version on the shelf next to it and Creative then very quickly ceased support of the one I chose while continuing to provide drivers for the other one :evil: ; and the only other proper regret was the S3 ViRGE DX in 1998 :roll:
Desktop: E3-1270 v5, X11SAT-F, 32GB, RX Vega 56, 250GB BX100, 2TB Ultrastar, Xonar DGX, XL2730Z
HTPC: i5-2500K, DH67GD, 6GB, GT 1030 SC, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Barracuda, Xonar DX

toki
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:41 am

biffzinker wrote:
toki wrote:

What board was it?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4390#ov That is the one. It is a great board for what it is. I just really wish I could be able to push it more for my needs! It's my own fault for that one though.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:36 am

Iomega Zip drive to do backups. Pair of Seagate 7200.11's, and when they failed doing the warranty replacement dance.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:15 am

notfred wrote:
Iomega Zip drive to do backups. Pair of Seagate 7200.11's, and when they failed doing the warranty replacement dance.

Been there, done both of those!

More recently, I bought a cheap Socket AM3+ motherboard for an inexpensive micro-ATX build (I already had a spare CPU and RAM on hand). The mistake I made was assuming that on-board USB 3.0 support (via a 3rd party USB 3.0 chipset, of course) meant that the board had a USB 3.0 front panel connector. Duh. Why would you design a mobo with USB 3.0 support, and not include a front panel connector? :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chrispy_
Gold subscriber
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:44 am

A 7" tablet.
About two weeks later I was in possession of a new 5.5" company phone.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:57 am

Oh yes, I remember buying a "cheap" tablet as well. All the tablets at that time cost 300-400 and some big box chain had one for 100. So I was itching for one. Total waste of money. Almost returned it but I saw some guys on the net root theirs and I was going to do the same so I kept it. Forgot all about it till I saw Chrispy_'s post. Yup, it's still there in the drawer growing roots instead of getting rooted.
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:30 am

I couldn't think of any offhand because I tend to overthink my purchases and may spend weeks or even months deciding what to buy even if I had already narrowed the choice down to 2. There was one case where I made an impulse purchase when I was visiting my folks and I visited a computer store. They had a multi-purpose card that also supported an extra IDE port and I wanted one for my system. It came with no software but I thought Windows XP would have no problem figuring out the card. Turns out I was wrong and I never got the card to work in that old system. That memory helps keep me away from impulse buys. ;)

Dposcorp
Silver subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:48 am

cheap tablets for sure.........i cant recall how many my kids went thru. Thanks goodness for the extended warranties.
Last edited by Dposcorp on Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:59 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
A 7" tablet.

The original Nexus 7 I had was pretty damn good. The Toshiba Encore Mini, eh. (It did the job, but not really all that well.)
I'm a reasonable human being...at least once a year. Most other times I'm a catgirl.

spiritwalker2222
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:29 am

I bought a 4 year old Subaru Legacy. It was a lemon, and the local dealer are clueless. Spent about $25,000 in repairs in 2 1/2 years until I finally smartened up and sold it. And that's with some repairs being under the factory warranty or the 1 year garage warranty for stuff that repeatedly kept failing.
Desktop: Skylake 6600K, GTX 660, Samsung 950 Pro, GA-Z170M-D3H
Garage mini PC: Kabylake 7100, X25-M g2, ASUS B250I, Antec ISK 110

spiritwalker2222
Gerbil XP

Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:30 am

Savyg wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
A 7" tablet.

The original Nexus 7 I had was pretty damn good. The Toshiba Encore Mini, eh. (It did the job, but not really all that well.)

I bought a Nexus 7. No quarrels with the tablet. But I bought it from Groupon. There ad specifically said new, and they sent me a refurbished unit. First and last item I'll buy from Groupon.
Desktop: Skylake 6600K, GTX 660, Samsung 950 Pro, GA-Z170M-D3H
Garage mini PC: Kabylake 7100, X25-M g2, ASUS B250I, Antec ISK 110

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:01 pm

1) A Klipsh Synergy soundbar. Synergy is clearly a cheapo branch of the Klipsch name and I regret not getting something higher quality, this being our main TV. I'm still not 100% convinced it's the soundbar's fault or my TV's, but I frequently get a faint beeping sound in the background. It's quiet enough that you don't notice it during normal scenes, but when things go quiet...annoying. It follows a very specific pattern and happens more often when I have both my HTPC and DVR cable box on at the same time. Other times, the beeping isn't there, very sporadic. Pulling the optical cable from the soundbar seems to temporarily fix the beeping issue with some consistency, but not always.

2) Any computer hardware that is sitting in my closet unopened and unused. Apparently I had/have a weakness for buying case fans on sale. I have close to a dozen sitting in a box. I know I got a few Xigmatek ones for free after MIR, others were half price, etc etc, but if you're not using the item, it's still wasted money. I watch newegg sales RELIGIOUSLY, and being a system builder for a small group of family and friends, I get a strong urge to buy common items on good sales even though I have no immediate use for them. (Have a 850 EVO and Corsair CS450 sitting unopened in closet as well). I know it's not economical to keep "stock" when I don't know when my next build will be, but...

3) Rechargeable batteries. They don't seem to work in anything because they're all 1.2V (for AA) whereas standard AAs are 1.5V. (I know the whole working voltage and discharge stuff, but when the component won't operate with batteries fresh out of the charger....) I was able to find a couple devices that would actually work with them, but unfortunately my vision of being eco-conscious with rechargeable batteries has all but been ruined.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod