Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

morphine
TR Staff

Re: Machine "feel" and "platform latency"

Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:35 pm

To appropriate a quote, "Unix gives you as much rope you need to hang yourself, plus a couple meters more just to be sure."
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:10 pm

morphine wrote:
To appropriate a quote, "Unix gives you as much rope you need to hang yourself, plus a couple meters more just to be sure."

Too much rope and your feet are on the floor. :D

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:05 pm

notfred wrote:
I'm guessing, but I wonder if poor power meant it couldn't up the voltage to the cores when it needed to and so the clocks didn't ramp up like they were meant to and that gave you poor latency.

Well, it wasn't that, anyway. I had no trouble overclocking my CPU and it gave the expected performance in benchmarks. Overclocked RAM too, but only a little. (2T -> 1T)

I think morphine might be on the right track tho. (*'▽')

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:36 am

morphine wrote:
Interesting, I wasn't fully aware of this. What if the file is multiple GBs in size? (I'm assuming the OS copies the now-deleted contents into memory?)

It's a bit more subtle. Since the directory entry (or entries, in the case of multiple hard links) for a file are stored separately from the rest of the meta-data (a.k.a. i-node), you can delete a directory entry without touching the file. The file continues to exist as it was, but only processes which had it open at the time of deletion continue to have access to it, since there's no way for other processes to find it any more.

When the last process that is referencing the deleted file closes it, the i-node is marked free, and the disk space gets reclaimed.

In the meantime, it is perfectly legal to create a new directory entry with the same name as the deleted one (and corresponding file with different content), even if some processes are still referencing the old version.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

morphine
TR Staff

Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:37 am

You learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info, JBI!
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(