Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

dkanter
Gerbil
Topic Author

Display does not turn on when waking up from sleep, win10

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:00 pm

System: Desktop Skylake Core i7 6700K on an Asus Z170-A, with an Nvidia GTX 680, running windows 10, 64-bit with latest updates, BIOS, and drivers

Power settings

Sleep after 30: minutes
Hybrid Sleep: Off
Hibernate: Disable

Device manager

Two keyboards, both HID Keyboard Device, and CAN wake up the system from sleep mode
Two mice, both HID-compliant mouse, and CAN wake up the system from sleep mode

Observed behavior

When the PC goes to sleep, the power light on the case starts to blink slowly, and the monitor shauts off. When I attempt to wake the PC up, the power light goes solid (and the CPU fan turns on), but the display does not show anything because there is no signal being received by the monitor. I believe that the system is actually 'awake', but since there is no display output, I cannot really tell and I cannot make any forward progress. Instead, I have to hard shut down the system.

I have the same problem when using the Intel integrated graphics, without the discrete GPU.

Thanks in advance,

David

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Display does not turn on when waking up from sleep, win1

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:45 pm

Can you "see" the system on your local network during that time when it (should be) awake? i.e., to verify that it actually has resumed and only the graphics subsystem is not responding?

I've only seen this once or twice on Windows 10 after automatic updates are installed. I do remember seeing this a couple times on my (older) desktop when I was still running Windows 7 but it wasn't persistent the way you're describing, so I just blind-keyed a shutdown sequence and then restarted without further thought. However I did turn up this:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/11608 ... ter-sleep/
You need to go to the "Power Options" in the "Control Panel", where you get the list of "Power Plans". Click "Change plan settings" and then "Change advanced power settings". Go to "PCI Express", "LInk State Power Management" and set it to "Off". I'm on Windows 8 so it may be slightly different on 7.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

dkanter
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:37 pm

Good question.

I tried disabling PCIe power management, and it didn't help. When the PC goes to sleep, it disappears from the network, but when I wake it up, it reappears (although no monitor as I mentioned).

XorCist
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:18 pm

i have that same issue. what i have to do instead of moving the mouse to get the computer on, is push the power button. if i try it by just moving the mouse, the LEDs on my keyboard, mouse, and case all turn on, but nothign happens until I hit the power button to get it out of sleep.

dkanter
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:28 pm

XorCist wrote:
i have that same issue. what i have to do instead of moving the mouse to get the computer on, is push the power button. if i try it by just moving the mouse, the LEDs on my keyboard, mouse, and case all turn on, but nothign happens until I hit the power button to get it out of sleep.

Yeah, that doesn't work for me. I have to do a hard shut down :(

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Could you please describe how you attempt to wake the PC?

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:33 pm

Have you tried disabling "Deep S4" under APM (Advance Power Management) in the ASUS motherboard's EFI?
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Using the DisplayPort interface out of curiosity?

I've seen DisplayPort exhibit this particular habit.

Try a DVI or HDMI cable instead.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

dkanter
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Thanks for all the responses:

1. I'm using an HDMI cable, although I would prefer to switch to display port, since my goal is to drive two monitors.

2. I can wake up the PC using keyboard/mouse. But again, the display stays blank. The problem is getting the display output working.

3. The Asus ErP support is disabled in APM configuration (which I believe controls S4).

Thanks again for the help!

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:44 pm

Was the Geforce GTX 680 shipped with a EFI compatible firmware on the ROM chip? I'm wondering if the Geforce GTX 680 is using the older legacy BIOS on the card has something to do with his resume from sleep issue? I've had the same problem with a blank screen on resume with a older Z77 motherboard (MSI) and a EVGA Geforce GTX 660 in the past. I don't remember how I resolved the issue though.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.

dkanter
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:01 pm

biffzinker wrote:
Was the Geforce GTX 680 shipped with a EFI compatible firmware on the ROM chip? I'm wondering if the Geforce GTX 680 is using the older legacy BIOS on the card has something to do with his resume from sleep issue? I've had the same problem with a blank screen on resume with a older Z77 motherboard (MSI) and a EVGA Geforce GTX 660 in the past. I don't remember how I resolved the issue though.

No clue, it's a loaner card. I could also try using the IGP.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:03 am

Had this issue on a secondary display connected via HDMI. I googled around and the explanation was basically something like Windows expecting monitors connected by HDMI to be 'external' or 'secondary' displays which get removed when the cable is disconnected, and this behaviour getting improperly extended to when an HDMI connected display goes into power saving. Somehow it just fixed itself after a couple of driver updates, but whenever the secondary display comes back on there's still a brief interruption as Windows reconnects it each time, unlike a display connected via DVI or DP which is persistent.

A change in cables might be worth a try.

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:29 am

It is a known-issue with using HDMI with computer monitors. Video cards expect devices connect via HDMI to be HDTVs and other A/V devices not computer monitors. I would suggest using Displayport, DVI or VGA if possible. HDMI was designed to be an interface for A/V devices.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

localhostrulez
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:01 am

I know HDMI and DisplayPort have this "feature", usually supported by the video card (but not always, as seems to be the case with nvidia/HDMI), where they disconnect the monitor when it's turned off. Could that be acting up?

dkanter
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:38 am

Just tested, and the same problem occurs when using Displayport. Good idea though!

David

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:55 pm

Did you have an OS on the system before Windows 10? Maybe Windows 7 or 8?
If so, I assume this issue only started after Win10 was installed? In that case it's obviously something software/OS based and not a hardware/cabling issue. I know I've had issues pop up since upgrading to Windows 10 when my PC wakes from sleep and the mouse pointer is nowhere to be found.
If not, I don't know what else to try.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:25 pm

I had a similar issue with a skylake cpu and gigabyte H170 mobo, but with Win8.1 pro. A restart would end up black screen also.

Disabling ErP in the BIOS did the trick for me, (but I enabled it and that's when issues started though) I'm thinking the PSU or something wasn't ErP compliant who knows.

Then again, could just be a monitor FW thing or a W10 thing.

Good luck
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Hondy
Gerbil In Training

Re: Display does not turn on when waking up from sleep, win10

Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:28 pm

I have had a similar problem since the major Windows 10 upgrade around 3rd October 2016. I switched from 8 to 10 in May but it worked fine till the upgrade. I have two monitors, one connected via a VGA cable and the second via an HDMI. The VGA never wakes up after the computer goes to sleep but works fine when the pc starts or reboots. The monitors doze off after 5 mins, the pc after 10. The problem only manifests after the pc has gone to sleep then wakes up. I have tried uninstalling the graphics driver, using a 3rd party product (DDU) to properly clean out following the uninstallation and reinstalling an up to date driver, but it didn't help. It doesn't matter whether I set the problem VGA monitor as primary or secondary.

Perhaps there is some kind of compatibility issue between the hardware, driver and the Win 10 update or maybe some Win 10 setting was changed. I could extend the sleep time but that seems a backward step, I don't mind it going to sleep to save energy. 

The problem keeps coming back to my VGA connection to the integrated graphics accelerator on the motherboard (no separate dedicated graphics card). 

It's driving me nuts.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:57 pm

When this kind of problem happens, does it go away once you unplug and plug in the monitor's video cable?

I've noticed that some cable connector and monitor combinations will do wacky things once the monitor is off for a significant period of time. It's like Windows suddenly decides that the monitor has been disconnected or is no longer Plug N Play.

I used to use an old Philips monitor with my desktop; in both Windows 8.1 and 10, on a HDMI connection, I've been using the monitor with no timeouts at all due to it potentially causing the desktop to reset to 1024x768 in secret, wrecking all windows' sizes and positions. Sometimes that 1024x768 even sticks around after the monitor is turned back on, only fixing itself when the monitor is unplugged and plugged in again. It's an extremely annoying issue as the monitor basically cannot be turned off.

Funnily enough, that problem went away when I swapped it out with a HP monitor I bought almost two months ago, despite using the exact same OS and video card (I did use the new monitor's provided HDMI cable, though) and the 1024x768/disconnect bug is nowhere to be seen.

I suspect this problem also has something to do with the monitor itself; seeing as not all monitors have the problem.
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

Hondy
Gerbil In Training

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:07 am

Thanks for the suggestion Noinoi, I have not tried that specifically but powering the monitor off then on does not seem to help which to me implies the card/software in the pc. The monitor and pc are new, my second monitor was bought in 2013 but has no issues. The timing of the start of the problem, immediately following that major upgrade, is awfully suspicious given that all was fine before it.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:37 am

Hondy wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion Noinoi, I have not tried that specifically but powering the monitor off then on does not seem to help which to me implies the card/software in the pc. The monitor and pc are new, my second monitor was bought in 2013 but has no issues. The timing of the start of the problem, immediately following that major upgrade, is awfully suspicious given that all was fine before it.

Yeah, I'm thinking it's also related to the card/software since it only happened after the upgrade. The suggestion is more of a workaround for when you still want to make use of sleep and maybe the act of plugging in the video cable again (on the computer end) will cause Windows to "redetect" things. Just a hunch.
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10

winintnvd
Gerbil In Training

Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:28 am

Hi there,

MY SOLUTION: I solved my problem by going into my monitor options itself (through monitor buttons) and disabling "auto-detect of input source", In my case I chose only VGA since I had a VGA cable connected to my monitor.

I got the idea from Noinoi when said that it's monitor dependent. Thank you Noinoi!

EXTRA info:
Of course I tried everything else mentioned above. Thanks everyone for your help.
I have a Dell Laptop with Windows 10 with Intel HD graphics and Nvidia Graphics.
I have a HDMI to VGA adapter for my secondary monitor.
And of-course I had the exact same issue when windows woke up, the monitor connected through HDMI adapter did not wake up.

Hope it helps someone!

MileageMayVary
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:01 am

I occasionally get such and my solution is just to unplug the power from the monitor for a few minutes. Plug it back in and it works. (Hopefully works for you too)
Main rig: Ryzen 3600X, R9 290@1100MHz, 16GB@2933MHz, 1080-1440-1080 Ultrasharps.

Flpcrm
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:18 pm

I have the same problem one of my monitor is connected with Display port and the other one is connected with HDMI , when the computer goes to sleep and when I try to wake them up only one of them stars the one that is connected with the HDMI cable so I have to unplug and turn off the Samsung monitor connected to the display port and turn it on in order to work.
I will try the solution of disable the option of Automatic Source Detection and I am switching to manual hope it works., Thanks

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:45 am

OP probably had this problem go away with later drivers long ago, but for the record, Kepler and Fermi did not properly wake from S3 sleep for a long time until recent drivers this year. For ~half a year before that, the drivers helpfully removed the Hybrid sleep option from Power Options (that's both S3 and hibernate in case power is lost), which would've "solved" the OP's problem by preventing S3. S1 sleep always worked fine but as the RAM is refreshing at full speed and all fans continue to run there it's hardly more energy saving than just shutting off the monitor with modern CPUs.

Never waking up was probably better than Tesla drivers which would wake my 260s up fine but regularly cause a BSOD about a minute afterwards. I had to set them all to hibernate only. Sheesh, and people complain about the Red Team's drivers.

Jim1973
Gerbil In Training

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:28 pm

My computer was fine while operating on the HDMI port on my computer. When I plugged in my Displayport to HDMI cable to the 2nd monitor, my computer refused to wake up using the keyboard or mouse. I was able to wake it up by unplugging the monitors and plugging them back in. This lead me to the solution that seems to be working 100%. I went to start, (the windows thing in the bottom left corner), Window Settings (that gear thing above the power button right above the windows picture), clicked on Devices, clicked on Device Manager (4th option down under related settings on the right side of the screen), clicked on Display Adapters, right clicked on whatever dropped down, clicked on update driver, and voila! it worked fine right after that. Hope this helps! Also: you can click on the circle to the right of the windows picture, type in Device manager, click on it to get into the device manager faster.

jmc2
Gerbil XP

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:16 am

I'm on Display Port,W7/64.4K Samsung monitor.

When my monitor does not light up from sleep I turn it off
(wait for the blinking light to go off) and then back on.
That "almost" always fixes it.

susanday1962
Gerbil In Training

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:49 pm

I have same problem now, how can I salve it?

Emerald_n*
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:30 am

susanday1962 wrote:
I have same problem now, how can I salve it?

i had same issue and it solved after enabling intel rapid start technology in bios

peter3499
Gerbil In Training

Sat May 15, 2021 4:05 am

try to check the power settings of you PC and also tell me that you have this problem on a single monitor only ?? if yes then try to replace your Montior