Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

dewey
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Actiontec C1000A Transparent Bridge

Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:20 pm

I want to use a separate Linksys router with an Actiontec C1000A modem/router.  Besides turning off the wireless radio, what other settings need to be changed to turn the Actiontec into a transparent bridge?

meerkt
Gerbil Elite

Re: Actiontec C1000A Transparent Bridge

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:44 pm

Advanced Setup \ WAN settings \ ISP Protocol: Transparent Bridging

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/int ... g-ctl.html

BTW, thread more suitable here: viewforum.php?f=14

dewey
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:17 pm

Thanks very much.
Do I also have to turn off the wireless radio, or is the transparent bridge setting enough to disable the router?

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:25 pm

Not sure, but I disabled mine when I converted it to bridge mode. After all, wifi is the devil.

Do be sure you've got your PPPOE credentials handy. If you need to access the modem again you can do so via a static IP address, though messing with any settings will generally turn bridge mode off again.

meerkt
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:39 pm

I disabled WiFi but maybe you can leave it on to connect directly to the C1000A to access its settings, assuming your router doesn't let you through.
I'm not sure there are other settings to change (regarding wired routing).

BTW, in ISP Protocol I see there's also Transparent Bridging Tagged-0, and Untagged. Not sure what they do since you have tagged/untagged settings also under "Broadband Configuration".

flyingron
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:30 am

I have an odd problem related to this. I got it into transparent bridging fine. However, the first time the modem power cycles, it reboots in an odd state. Normally, in transparent bridging the INTERNET light is off and the WAN light blinks with traffic. After a reboot, the INTERNET light starts alternating red/green. Traffic seems to flow but a ping test shows that it runs for about 35 seconds and then drops packets for 4-5 seconds and then goes back to running. I've found that just putting the thing back into IPOE w/Static IP for a second and then reenabling transparent bridging fixes the problem, but I have no clue why.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:16 pm

flyingron wrote:
I have an odd problem related to this. I got it into transparent bridging fine. However, the first time the modem power cycles, it reboots in an odd state. Normally, in transparent bridging the INTERNET light is off and the WAN light blinks with traffic. After a reboot, the INTERNET light starts alternating red/green. Traffic seems to flow but a ping test shows that it runs for about 35 seconds and then drops packets for 4-5 seconds and then goes back to running. I've found that just putting the thing back into IPOE w/Static IP for a second and then reenabling transparent bridging fixes the problem, but I have no clue why.

It sounds like either a firmware bug in the modem, or a synchronization problem between the modem and the router. Have you looked up your modem's manual to see if the light indicates a specific error condition? Have you checked to see if any firmware updates are available for the modem and the router?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

flyingron
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Actually mine is a C1900 and Actiontec doesn't believe in documentation apparently.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:33 pm

flyingron wrote:
Actually mine is a C1900 and Actiontec doesn't believe in documentation apparently.

It may or may not have shipped with hardcopy or digital media, but this should be what you need?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

flyingron
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:35 pm

There's no "documentation" on that page. All it has is a sales brochure and a wall mounting template in the DOCs section.

ludi
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Ah, so it is. It's possible they don't post a detailed sheet because DSL providers sometimes modify the firmware. Your DSL provider may offer something if they also supplied that modem, otherwise I would try the Actiontec tech support request link, next (bottom of same page).

flyingron
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Neither CenturyLink nor Actiontec provide any useful support.

flyingron
Gerbil In Training

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:55 am

Here's a hint. If you have the Actiontec (C1900A or the like) CenturyLink modem and you're trying to run it in transparent bridge mode and find it's dropping packets (and the internet light is alternating RED/GREEN) this turns out to be a bug in the broadband settings autoconfiguration code. Here's how you fix it:

1. Reset your modem (stick a paper clip in the reset hole until the power light turns from green to orange).
2. After it boots up, config the thing up NOT in transparent bridge mode.
3. After it comes up, go to ADVANCED SETTINGS/BROADBAND SETTINGS
4. Note that several menu settings on this page are set to AUTO. Under that it displays (in red) what they got auto set to. Switch these settings from AUTO to what it is currently set to.
5. Set back to transparent bridge.

Now your modem will survive reboots without going into doofus mode.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for following up on this old thread with the fix.

Somewhere I have a file with all the oddball non-default settings that CenturyLink requires for their modems, which I always used to use when setting up non-"Authorized" 3rd party DSL modems that weren't "supported" by CL but also weren't Actiontec crap. It's nice they've progressed to the point where their own modems will at least autoconfigure if set to the right mode.