Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

PSU ticking sorta-problem-ish

Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:44 pm

Anyone here ever had a PSU tick/crackle when under really low loads (and it's not the fan)? I have this HX520 that does that unless an HDD is being actively accessed or system load otherwise rises from idle, on a Core i3-6100 box acting as a NAS. I've sort-of-fixed the problem because since this is a home server, I turned off the HDD spindown timeout in Windows, which indirectly solved the problem. I'd still like to gather gerbils' opinions.

I've read somewhere that "switching" power supplies exhibit this problem with really low loads, and I suppose that back in the 2007 age of 8800GTXs and the like, Corsair wasn't ever expecting a computer that would draw so little power.

Yes, the PSU may be old, but it's working okay and I'll probably die before it does. It was powering my main rig before with an i7-6700K (overclocked), and a GTX 970, and five HDDs + 1 SSD, plus a bunch of USB stuff.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: PSU ticking sorta-problem-ish

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:00 pm

I had one a while back (Silverstone, IIRC) that did that. Yes, it was annoying. I eventually pulled it and chucked it in the spares pile. Will probably re-use it the next time I'm building a server that I plan to stuff in the crawlspace.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:04 pm

Do you think that there's a problem, namely of the type "it's working now but it's about to blow up?"
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:10 pm

TBH I don't know for sure. The system it was in never misbehaved (other than the ticking sound). IIRC I assumed at the time that it had something to do with the fan running at really low RPMs, but I never investigated further.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:24 pm

It would be worthwhile to isolate the fan and see if the noise is from there, or from the switching circuitry.  The only way I can imagine the circuit to be making a noise like that is either by cutting out periodically, or by a static discharge in the HV transformer.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:50 am

A long time ago I had a PSU that did that (very steady tick tick tick every ~1/2 second), but I can't even remember what kind it was. Pretty sure I ended up swapping it out for my sanity's sake.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

morphine
TR Staff
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:07 am

Well, as I said, the problem's "fixed" since I turned off HDD spindown. Just wanted to be reasonably convinced that it wasn't going to blow up on me.