Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Internet disconnect Reconnect every few minutes

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:35 am

Hi,
My internet connection thru phone line keeps disconnecting every few minutes. ( DSL keeps dropping )
I changed all the cables & bought a new modem few months ago when I had the same problem & it did not solve the problem. But miracusly it went away.
Then & again this time I had my ISP replace the phone lines but that did not help either.
My Router Modem is : D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router (Black)
My Bandwidth is 8 Mbps ( but I get only 4 Mbps )
My system is Dell T-7500 Workstation.
My system has built in network card in motherboard & Dell offered to change the motherboard last time but I said no because they usually give you a Refurbished parts & this system has been used by me only & never had a problem in last 4 years so I prefer not to mess with it & bring in someone else’s mother board which might have even bigger problems.
I really need help please.
Thank You.
P.S.
Funny thing is that  following procedure sometimes gives me an hour to 2 hours relief.
I switch off the modem router, I take the splitter out & connect the phone line directly into modem router & turn it back on.
I switch off the modem & put in another phone cable into splitter & connect the new cable  to modem router.
These same cables work fine when the real problem corrects by itself & things would be fine for a month OR two.
I do not use Wi-Fi at all.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Internet disconnect Reconnect every few minutes

Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:01 am

When you lose the connection do the modem status lights still indicate that you have a DSL connection? Can you still get to the internet using another device (laptop, 2nd PC)? This would help us narrow the problem down to the workstation or the DSL connection.

Since the modem and phone line have already been replaced, if we rule out the workstation then the problem is probably at the ISPs end.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:40 pm

When you lose the connection do the modem status lights still indicate that you have a DSL connection ?
Two extreme right lines are DSL & Internet. All other lights on left are 4 for Ethernet port, one for WI-FI and one for Power.
So when I lose connection all the lights are on except extreme right which is Internet. It goes off & I lose connection. Then light on left of Internet which is DSL light starts flickering showing that it is trying to connect. Then when the connection resumes, the Internet light starts flickering showing that Internet is on & I can surf or download.
Can you still get to the internet using another device (laptop, 2nd PC) ?
I don't have a Laptop or another desktop. But my cell phone WI-FI does lose connection when I lose internet.
My ISP Guy has tried everything he could by changing the cables, making sure there are no lose connection, even swapped my connection line with someone else's & checked the modem where they have the exchange equipment.
I was with him so I know that.
Really appreciate you taking time these holidays.
[size=120]So where do we go from here ? [/size]

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:00 am

dan99t wrote:
Two extreme right lines are DSL & Internet. All other lights on left are 4 for Ethernet port, one for WI-FI and one for Power.
So when I lose connection all the lights are on except extreme right which is Internet. It goes off & I lose connection. Then light on left of Internet which is DSL light starts flickering showing that it is trying to connect. Then when the connection resumes, the Internet light starts flickering showing that Internet is on & I can surf or download.

If you're losing the "Internet" or "DSL" lights and then reconnecting, and the modem and incoming phone line have been eliminated as culprits, then the problem is probably upstream -- could be an issue in a telco junciton box, a DSL repeater, or the ISP's equipment.

Before escalating the support ticket, the last thing you could try is putting the modem on a small UPS to ensure that brief power glitches aren't disrupting the modem.  Usually the modem would go through a full reset cycle if that were the case, but it doesn't hurt to have a UPS regardless.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

dan99t
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:18 am

Excellent point & although I don't have an UPS because of my entire setup, I have modem right underneath one of my screens so I can see which lights are going on or off. The modem power light which is on extreme left corner on my modem, it never goes off. Is that what you mean ? And most of the time connection drops for less than one minute. But it does so anywhere from 5 to 16 times in a minute like it did last night from 01:00 AM to 04:00 AM. I keep my workstation running 24 Hrs. a day.
If this helps here is my configuration.
It is Dell T-7500 workstation.
Intel Xeon E5645 @ 2.4 GHz
RAM : 12 GB
Windows 7 ( Ultimate ) 64 bit
I run 12 Monitors using 3 AMD Fire Pro 2460 graphics Cards
I have been running this configuration without any problems for Last 4 years.
Only exception is this nagging Internet problem for last one year or so. When it works it does fine for 2 to 3 months but once it starts it is a nightmare.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:25 am

There should be another light (besides the power light) on the modem that indicates whether you have an active DSL connection. Does that light stay on or go out during the outages? On most DSL modems I've seen it stays on steady if the connection is up, goes out when you lose the connection, and flashes while the modem is trying to reconnect after an outage.

Also, power variations which are too short to see just by looking at the power LED on the modem could still disrupt the connection.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

anhbloginc
Gerbil

Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:58 am

If you have access to router/modem, I would suggest check the logs for further information. It's always a good place to start diagnose the cause.