Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Re: Aaaaaargh... gave my RK-9000 a beer bath!

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:09 am

The intermittent noise seems to be coming from the 'A' key, and maybe another one as well. Doesn't happen on every press, just a small percentage of them. If it continues (and once I figure out whether there's another key involved) I may solder in a replacement switch or two.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

morphine
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Well, I've been following Opeth more or less since Blackwater Park / Damnation.

But as insanely brilliant as Damnation was despite being an offshoot prog album, Akerfeldt never quite replicated that success with the latest albums. Mostly because, to put it simply, the songs aren't very good. In all the albums since and including Heritage and apart from a couple songs here or there it just sounds meandering and derivative. Sounds like I've heard it all before... even though I didn't live through the 70s.

While I'm on this rant, I might also talk about Akerfeldt's buddy Steven Wilson. Now, don't get me wrong—I think they're both musical geniuses. But Wilson's latest stuff is just so zzzz.... *snore*.....zzzZZ *snort* oh dear, what was I saying? Oh yes, sleep-inducing. It's like he's imitating himself over and over again, like just one big album that's released across several records.

If was asked "pick two of your favorite bands/artists that are on a low point," I'd definitely go with those.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:00 pm

morphine wrote:
While I'm on this rant, I might also talk about Akerfeldt's buddy Steven Wilson. Now, don't get me wrong—I think they're both musical geniuses. But Wilson's latest stuff is just so zzzz.... *snore*.....zzzZZ *snort* oh dear, what was I saying? Oh yes, sleep-inducing. It's like he's imitating himself over and over again, like just one big album that's released across several records.

Heh. Yeah, at least HCE has an overall unifying concept/narrative. And while I've enjoyed most of his solo projects (especially the earlier ones), I have to say I much prefer PT. I think your comment about him "imitating himself" more or less describes the rut he seems to have fallen into.

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm thinking you might need a hall effect keyboard...

Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:55 pm

One of the first places I worked out of college used Hall effect keyboards. Whenever they got one back for service that was all gunked up (typically a combination of coffee spills and cigarette ashes, this was the '80s and these keyboards were used by emergency services dispatchers), they would just chuck it into a big bucket of hot sudsy water and leave it for a couple of days. Other than the occasional cigarette burn on a keycap, they came out of the bucket as good as new.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:01 am

Might I suggest a new homebrew brand JBI?

The above is only rough demo. I am available at reasonable rates for further product development and market consulting.

tritonus
Gold subscriber
Gerbil In Training

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:29 am

Based on reading this thread, there are only 2 sorts of gerbils:

1) Those who have given their keyboard the Just Beer It™ treatment
2 ) Those who haven't ....yet.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 am

That's freaking cool, I hadn't heard of hall effect keyboards.

Glorious wrote:
Might I suggest a new homebrew brand JBI?

:lol:

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Bathing Your RK-9000, Part II

So yesterday, the RK-9000 I use at work (twin of the one that got the recent beer bath) got a soda bath. Brought it home last night, and gave it the same treatment (soak and rinse followed by several hours on the drying rack). This evening I tested it, and... the 'N' key was inoperative. :-?

My best guess is that a piece of board chow got washed down into the 'N' switch by the initial soda wave, got stuck/wedged in the switch contacts, and didn't come out in the soak. (It was diet soda, but Diet Mt. Dew has some orange juice in it so unlike most diet sodas it is slightly sticky when it dries.)

My initial thought was to open the existing switch up to try to clean the internals, but it is very difficult to get the top off a Cherry switch if you have a plate mount keyboard. I decided to try removing it from the keyboard, opening it up to clean the contacts, and putting it back; but when I tried to remove it I applied too much stress to it while one of the pins was still stuck to the PCB (due to incomplete removal of the existing solder), and ended up snapping the pin off. :roll:

Fortunately, I had a few spare MX blue switches on hand. (I guess that makes me a pretty hard-core keyboard geek... :lol:)

A few minutes with the soldering iron, and the office RK-9000 appears to be fully functional again. Swapped it for the home one, and will use it tonight to make sure it is tuly 100%; if all is well, I'll just take the other one to the office tomorrow.

Hopefully I'm done spilling drinks into my keyboards for a while. I went years without a spill, and then managed to have 2 in as many months. :oops:

On the plus side, both RK-9000s are now cleaner than they've been in years. :lol:

It'll be a relief to not be typing on the POS Dell rubber dome keyboard I've been using at the office for the past 2 days...

Edit: Alternative theory on the failed 'N' key... maybe the pin on the switch was already about to fail (due to years of pounding), and the stress of popping the keycap off was the final straw (so no contamination issue, just a mechanical failure).

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Edit: Alternative theory on the failed 'N' key... maybe the pin on the switch was already about to fail (due to years of pounding), and the stress of popping the keycap off was the final straw (so no contamination issue, just a mechanical failure).

Damnit JBI, cut down on spam new-ing up so many objects! :P

And assuming the springs wear out at the same rate, this means you are not cleaning them up by deleting them. :lol: You are in garbage-collection land nowadays?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Damn, I should've known that my habit of typing "nonagenarian" whenever I got bored was going to catch up with me someday... :wink:

...and no, I'm still primarily a C/C++ developer. No garbage collection. :lol:

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:20 pm

There are keyboards designed to cope with this sort of drinking problem:
http://www.wetkeys.com/Washable-Compute ... ds-s/3.htm
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, 960Pro SSD, 5TB HDD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:26 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
There are keyboards designed to cope with this sort of drinking problem:
http://www.wetkeys.com/Washable-Compute ... ds-s/3.htm

The problem is getting a spill-resistant mechanical. I'm really sold on MX blues, and TBH rather set in my ways at this point. :lol:

If I didn't care about tactile feedback, I could just buy another cheap rubber dome 'board whenever I spilled something into it.

As evidenced by this thread (and my other RK-9000 repair threads), well-designed Cherry-based keyboards are user-serviceable. I figure my pair of RK-9000s were a pretty good investment (all things considered), and I expect to get many more years out of both of them.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:20 pm

I am happy to report the just-cleaned and repaired keyboard worked fine yesterday evening at home. Its twin survived being stuffed into my backpack and brought in to the office on the train this morning. The crappy Dell keyboard I borrowed is back on the test server where it belongs, and I am in typing nirvana again. :wink:

not@home
Gerbil

Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:38 pm

I have been using an IBM model M13 for many years now. The only problem is it is not compatible with a lot of motherboards. Some will not detect it on a cold boot, but a reboot will get them going, some motherboards just don't have PS2 ports. A few years ago I bout a compatible usb adapter for it. This seems to work 95% of the time. Also the cord it all frayed and is probably going to stop working soon. My spare rubber dome keyboard from 2002 has been on the fritz for a while. Its ESC key does not work and the space bar only works half the time. 2 weeks ago Newegg had a sale on G.Skill Ripjaws with brown keys. so I bought one. I wish I had gotten one with blue keys. They are too light for me, and the audible feedback isn't there. I though the lack of audible feedback wouldn't be an issue, and it would be better considering my roommate and I have opposite sleeping habits, but I really miss it.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:49 am

not@home wrote:
I have been using an IBM model M13 for many years now. The only problem is it is not compatible with a lot of motherboards. Some will not detect it on a cold boot, but a reboot will get them going, some motherboards just don't have PS2 ports. A few years ago I bout a compatible usb adapter for it. This seems to work 95% of the time. Also the cord it all frayed and is probably going to stop working soon. My spare rubber dome keyboard from 2002 has been on the fritz for a while. Its ESC key does not work and the space bar only works half the time. 2 weeks ago Newegg had a sale on G.Skill Ripjaws with brown keys. so I bought one. I wish I had gotten one with blue keys. They are too light for me, and the audible feedback isn't there. I though the lack of audible feedback wouldn't be an issue, and it would be better considering my roommate and I have opposite sleeping habits, but I really miss it.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the browns either. A lot of people really love them though. Since you're clearly a Model M fan, you may want to consider one of Unicomp's Model M derivatives.

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:48 pm

i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, 960Pro SSD, 5TB HDD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:45 am

...and yet again. This time not so much a spill as a beer that erupted when I opened the can, with the keyboard within the blast radius. :roll:

The mishap happened Sunday evening. The keyboard has already been soaked, dried, and reassembled. No casualties among the switches this time.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:22 am

... Have you considered sippy cups?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
... Have you considered sippy cups?

:lol:

Wouldn't have helped with this latest one, since the mess occurred immediately upon opening the can! (Plus carbonated beverage in a sippy cup sounds like it could have its own issues...)

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:41 pm

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:57 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

"Not available with MX blue switches" == "no sale" as far as I'm concerned. OK, I suppose I might consider browns; but it isn't available with those either.

Anyhow, I'm now 3 for 3 resurrecting my RK-9000s after beverage spills... so who needs water resistance anyway? :lol:

Waco
Gold subscriber

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:47 pm

I had a similar experience with my Rosewill Apollo last weekend...a beer exploded upon popping the tab and soaked both my keyboard and my monitor. The keyboard took the brunt of it but a short disassemble and clean later, it lived.

I <3 MX browns, though, so the lack of obnoxious clickiness doesn't bother me. :)
Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon | 6700K @ 4.5 | 16 GB | GTX Titan X | Seasonix Gold 850 | XSPC RX360 | Heatkiller R3 | D5 + RP-452X2 | Cosmos II | Samsung 4K 40" | 480 + 240 + LSI 9207-8i (128x8) SSDs

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

IP32 isn't even worth advertising, as far as I'm concerned.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:47 pm

IP69K or gtfo. I want to be able to clean the keyboard!
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Asus STRIX GTX 970 4GB | 4 x Corsair LPX 8GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x Hitachi Deskstar 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | Dell UP2516D

Anovoca
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:27 am

All this talk about how much work you put into salvaging your keyboard, but I see very little effort was put forth to salvaging your spilled beer!
JBI I am disappointed in you :(
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:03 am

curtisb wrote:
IP69K or gtfo. I want to be able to clean the keyboard!

I tried one of these back in the day. Pretty much the polar opposite of a mechanical keyboard. Absolutely sucked to type on, but 100% hermetically sealed. Hmm... I wonder if I still have that thing in a box in the crawlspace, or if I chucked it somewhere along the line. Probably ditched it when we moved to the current house (got rid of a lot of old crap then).

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:32 am

I have one of these roll-up keyboards (mine has a way less crap layout though) that I use just as a general 'oops I need a keyboard for 10 minutes'. Typing on it is abysmal, but you can pretty much plop it down anywhere/abuse it and it doesn't care.

Plus since I use it like once every 4 months, I can just spray the accumulated dust off it with window cleaner and air dry it for about 2 minutes and it's good to go.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 10 x64

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:57 am

I bet that's still better to type on than the TASA was!

SuperSpy
Gold subscriber

Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:59 am

It's basically like trying to type on a zip-lock bag filled with peanut butter, but it's convenient when I need to drag a keyboard to a crappy location.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: i7 740QM | 12 GB | Mobility Radeon 5850 | Windows 10 x64