Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

This IoT meme is getting rather silly.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Yawn, Yet Another Silly IoT Appliance: YASIA.
https://www.extremetech.com/electronics ... technology
Will someone please tell me why I need a smart toaster? Is it just me, or is everybody going nuts trying to find ways to connect anything and everything to the internet, irregardless or not it needs to be or even should be connected in the first place? I swear, the internet is going to end up being taken over by botnets running on an endless sea of IoT devices.

Well Star Trek fans, we finally found out how the Borg got started. It's is just a huge massive botnet running on trillions of pointless devices.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: This IoT meme is getting rather silly.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:32 pm

I predict that within 3 years, either the Bluetooth chip in this thing will die (because, well, it's in a toaster, and toasters get REALLY FRIKKIN' HOT), or a future version of iOS/Android will break the smartphone app and the company will neglect to release a new version (likely because they've gone out of business).
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:39 pm

Let's hope it has some kind of auto shut-off timer as well.  If it doesn't, then I can see how this thing might get confused by an Internet outage and torch its self like an IoT roman candle.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Actually, reading the article more closely it seems that this isn't really an IoT device at all. It doesn't have WiFi; it ONLY has Bluetooth.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Actually, reading the article more closely it seems that this isn't really an IoT device at all. There's no mention of WiFi, just Bluetooth.

I think that is just the cheaper model. In any case we can expect them put in WiFi soon or later.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I predict that within 3 years, either the Bluetooth chip in this thing will die (because, well, it's in a toaster, and toasters get REALLY FRIKKIN' HOT), or a future version of iOS/Android will break the smartphone app and the company will neglect to release a new version (likely because they've gone out of business).

This just come to mind, but is anyone actually buying these devices?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:55 pm

Toaster? Look no further than the 1930's-vintage Toastmaster 1B9. Used a clockwork mechanism instead of a bimetallic strip to set the toast time. Nana had one and after she passed it was offered to me when I left home to set out on my own. Like a fool, I said no. If it still lives, it is still making perfect toast (assuming you're starting with Pepperidge Farm white bread). Elwood Blues would grok this toaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw8SRYQxNcM
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:09 pm

· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:41 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Not ever in my household. No way. These things are where my personal Luddite line is crossed (and what was Mr. Ludd's first name?).

The promise I saw in such devices in Star Trek and 2001 in my youth has been mutated into an always-on data collection system for advertising/marketing/more sinister purposes. I'll stick with the keyboard. Let End User be the first one to find out the hard way.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The promise I saw in such devices in Star Trek and 2001 in my youth has been mutated into an always-on data collection system for advertising/marketing/more sinister purposes. I'll stick with the keyboard. Let End User be the first one to find out the hard way.

With our luck he'll be the first one to upload into the Singularity, and consequently will have the power to refuse entry to anyone who disagreed with him here on the TR forums. :lol:

Redocbew

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Anyone who is interested might want to keep it away from the TV also.

http://www.cw6sandiego.com/news-anchor- ... ollhouses/
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:50 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
The promise I saw in such devices in Star Trek and 2001 in my youth has been mutated into an always-on data collection system for advertising/marketing/more sinister purposes.  I'll stick with the keyboard.  Let End User be the first one to find out the hard way.

With our luck he'll be the first one to upload into the Singularity, and consequently will have the power to refuse entry to anyone who disagreed with him here on the TR forums. :lol:

I'm sure we could just hack into the Singularity once in awhile just to say hi to him.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:55 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Anyone who is interested might want to keep it away from the TV also.

http://www.cw6sandiego.com/news-anchor- ... ollhouses/

And I was just waiting for something like this happen. Ah does Amazon sell any type of "Adult Only" stuff? I hope not for parents of teenagers sake.

Redocbew

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm not sure exactly what Amazon's policy is for that type of listing, but the answer to most questions starting with "Does Amazon sell" is "yes" which is the whole point of the echo devices in the first place.
Last edited by Redocbew on Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:59 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Ah does Amazon sell any type of "Adult Only" stuff? I hope not for parents of teenagers sake.

Of course they do. They sell everything!

Edit: Looks like some are even available with Prime shipping, for those "adult toy emergencies". (Yes, I just *had* to check...) :lol:

Redocbew

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:04 pm

I'd like to see what kind recommendations Amazon starts sending you now.   :P

Edit: Come to think of it, this is just the sort of thing which would work well for Amazon's "Air Prime" drone delivery also. Wouldn't that be a surprise for a drone hunter to intercept that package...

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:40 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Will someone please tell me why I need a smart toaster? Is it just me, or is everybody going nuts trying to find ways to connect anything and everything to the internet, irregardless or not it needs to be or even should be connected in the first place?

Previously, in the boardroom of a major appliance vendor:

CEO: This will not be our best year ever unless we start thinking outside the box, people. GE, Maytag, Kenmore, Sunbeam, you name it. All of our competition sells the same things we do and half of it is coming from the same Chinese factories.  My mother-in-law just bought a Huawei fridge.  Huawei!  As if Samsung undercutting us wasn't bad enough.

Lackey #1: I hear what you're saying, boss. We need to differentiate our products again.

Lackey #2: Yeah, but differentiate what?  Color?  Everyone wants either white, gloss black, or stainless steel.  Bagel Setting on your toaster?  Icemaker in your fridge?  Everyone's got that.

CEO: Speaking of, did we already implement expensive replacement filters for those icemakers?

Lackey #2: Six years ago.  Last year we even reduced the cartridge size again and added a DRM software block so they have to replace them twice as often with officially licensed units.

Lackey #1: And planned obsolescence was fully integrated into our product lines a decade ago.  If you can find a 2013-vintage #4017D-53 food processor that's still running, take it, because it somehow ascended to immortality.

CEO: What about more buttons and displays?  Everyone likes buttons and displays.

Lackey #2: We're reaching design limits there, too.  This morning I couldn't even remember how to get a cup of coffee out of our Coffee Supreme v2.0.  I cycled through five submenus of automatic programming before figuring out that I was only changing the "brew complete" ringtone.  The display just kept telling me "good morning" when I clearly wasn't having one.

CEO: What about this "Internet of Things" everyone is talking about?  I can control the light bulbs from my phone.  See? <room shifts to soft green color>

Lackey #1: We did an IoT upgrade to our higher-end refrigerators a year or two ago, even used Windows 10 embedded.  There's one in the call center breakroom on the fourth floor, the employees keep a pool on when the next automatic update cycle will hit. 

CEO: Hey, if it entertains people, then that's enough to make a few quick sales.  Do we sell, say, a Bluetooth toaster yet?
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Ah does Amazon sell any type of "Adult Only" stuff? I hope not for parents of teenagers sake.

Edit: Looks like some are even available with Prime shipping, for those "adult toy emergencies". (Yes, I just *had* to check...) :lol:

I hate to be the parents who own an Alexa or Echo who have small children that are starting to cuss...

Philldoe
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:03 pm

whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

I hate to be the parents who own an Alexa or Echo who have small children that are starting to cuss...

NSFW Language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMLzJ8i9Xl4

Yep. That happened.
Fastfreak39: I feel like they should change the phrase "jumping on the band wagon" to "sailing on the pirate ship"

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:11 pm

just brew it! wrote:

And the problem is?

Using Vernor Vinge's Zones of Thought universe, let him flit off to the High Beyond or the Transcend. I'll gladly stay here in the Slow Zone.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:18 pm

Philldoe wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

NSFW Language: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMLzJ8i9Xl4

Yep. That happened.

People should really watch they say around small children, they do after all tend to repeat stuff they hear.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:27 pm

whm1974 wrote:
People should really watch they say around small children, they do after all tend to repeat stuff they hear.

And how would you know?

viewtopic.php?p=1280770#p1280770

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:

And how would you know?

viewtopic.php?p=1280770#p1280770

I've been around small children before who cuss like a sailor just like their parents. 

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:05 pm

IOT makes me LOL.

It's also obvious surveillance is obvious, get the sheeple to think they're getting something for 'free' in return and they'll do anything you ask.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm going to plant ten Echos and ten Google Homes in WHM's house to teach him about the things he makes these threads for.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:42 pm

whm1974 wrote:
Yawn, Yet Another Silly IoT Appliance: YASIA.
https://www.extremetech.com/electronics ... technology
Will someone please tell me why I need a smart toaster? Is it just me, or is everybody going nuts trying to find ways to connect anything and everything to the internet, irregardless or not it needs to be or even should be connected in the first place? I swear, the internet is going to end up being taken over by botnets running on an endless sea of IoT devices.

Well Star Trek fans, we finally found out how the Borg got started. It's is just a huge massive botnet running on trillions of pointless devices.

Why?

Toaster is just a fancy electrical resistor.
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Not ever in my household.  No way.  These things are where my personal Luddite line is crossed (and what was Mr. Ludd's first name?).

The promise I saw in such devices in Star Trek and 2001 in my youth has been mutated into an always-on data collection system for advertising/marketing/more sinister purposes.  I'll stick with the keyboard.  Let End User be the first one to find out the hard way.

I be surprised if at least like 50% of existing server/infra storage and bandwidth wasn't used for ads and datamining purposes by now.
BTW the last thing I would do in a Star Trek era world is to join some regimental organization on some dangerous foolhardy mission where I can do virtually everything else I can imagine.
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:49 am

Krogoth wrote:
Why?

Toaster is just a fancy electrical resistor.

Someday we will live in a utopian future where all of our resistors can be controlled via a smartphone app. ;-)

LostCat

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:55 am

just brew it! wrote:
Someday we will live in a utopian future where all of our resistors can be controlled via a smartphone app. ;-)

I'd rather have the utopian future where smartphones and tablets were actually secure after six months or so.
Oh wait, aren't we dinging IoT **** for pretty much the same thing?  Hah.
Meow.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:39 am

LostCat wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

I'd rather have the utopian future where smartphones and tablets were actually secure after six months or so.
Oh wait, aren't we dinging IoT **** for pretty much the same thing?  Hah.

I guess you missed the sarcasm...