Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

boing
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Using standard DIMM in printer

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:52 am

I use a Samsung CLX-6260ND printer at home, quite heavily. When printing some large PS or PDF images, I get an out of memory error and have to spend time reducing the size of the file before printing.

I'm looking into expanding the memory to 1 GB. But the cost of the branded memory upgrade, ML-MEM380, is ridiculous. Instead of paying €300-500 I thought I could buy a cheap, generic DDR3 DIMM and put it in.

Does anyone here have experience of doing so? Will it work or will the printer reject it? I read the service manual and checked the markings on the current 512 MB DIMM in it, but can't find anything declaring it to be registered, ECC or anything exotic. It appears to be a single-sided SO-DIMM but that's about it.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Using standard DIMM in printer

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:59 am

SODIMMs do not come in ECC, there aren't enough extra pins. I doubt there are registered variants either (but could be wrong). It is basically going to come down to whether the printer sees something it doesn't like in the SPD.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:16 am

I've serviced various models of laser and inkjet printer.

Some printers will use standard memory, others absolutely will not work with anything but what the manufacturer requires.
(Lexmark and HP are notorious.)

I would check on ebay and amazon and see if you can find the memory cheaper and get a money guarantee if it does not work.
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

bfg-9000
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:31 am

I have never seen a DDR3 SO-DIMM with only one BGA chip on it before.  Does the original work in a laptop?   It's the kind of thing you'd only try if it's still warranted.

I just pulled a couple FPM SIMMs out of a spare 22yo computer (surprisingly the DS1287 Dallas RTC still holds time) for a HP DesignJet.  I had to solder some presence detect bridges so they would identify themselves as 70ns.

boing
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:22 am

bfg-9000 wrote:
I have never seen a DDR3 SO-DIMM with only one BGA chip on it before.  Does the original work in a laptop?

If I could, I would. Unfortunately, the Macbook Air I have has its RAM soldered onto the motherboard.
The original chip is marked DDR3_CHORUS3_NEXT_ONLY. Chorus3 Next being the CPU of the printer.
Here's a quick, blurry pic I took of it: http://i67.tinypic.com/2en6ypc.jpg

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:40 am

That is one weird looking SODIMM.

IMO your odds of getting something else to work are probably not good, that looks like a one-off special module that just happens to use a SODIMM connector.

boing
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:17 am

I'll buy a 1 GB SODIMM off ebay for €1 and give it a shot. I promise to post an update once I tried it.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:40 am

Sounds like a plan. I'd be slightly worried that it is different enough electrically to cause damage, but that would be a really dick move on the part of the printer vendor, especially if the connector physically fits. Your call if you want to take the risk to potentially save some $.

boing
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:40 am

Wouldn't a different voltage fry just the SODIMM?

I figure the worst case scenario, a bricked printer, happens, I can buy a brand new Canon or HP colour laser printer with twice the memory, for less money than I'd pay for a Samsung ML-MEM380 SODIMM.

For now, I'll settle for taking deep breaths in a paper bag and wave my fist around in the air whilst shouting how Samsung wants to rip me off.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 am

boing wrote:
Wouldn't a different voltage fry just the SODIMM?

Assuming it is still using the standard SODIMM pinout, then yes.

If they're just using a physical SODIMM connector with a completely different pinout, it could potentially fry the printer too. I'd say it is unlikely, but vendors have done brain-dead stuff like that before. Back in the day, Dell used a standard PSU connector with a non-standard pinout for some of their systems; using a standard PSU would fry the motherboard.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:25 pm

boing wrote:

I see an SPD and two BGA memory chips, which is a good start, but then I see only about half as many termination resistors as usual.  That suggests only half of the pin space is being used, and they simply put it in an SO-DIMM layout to save on manufacturing costs.  The pinout could be literally anything and it would be very risky to install a regular SO-DIMM part in there.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

boing
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:59 am

Thanks guys.

I checked the Service manual, but it barely mentions the memory configuration. This is the page plus the main board diagram picture below:

Chorus3–Next(C3N) chip is adopted as the main processor. Its process speed is 533 MHz. It is integrated engine controller,
video controller, scan controller.
DDR3 512MB is adopted for high speed data processing. Boot adopted the 128MB NAND Flash.
USB is the embedded type and wired network supports 1000M full duplex.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2u6pi06.png

(I emailed Samsung's support and asked them, I don't expect more than a standard answer declaring it's not supported and I lose my warranty. I'll post it here once they reply)

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:27 am

ludi wrote:
boing wrote:

I see an SPD and two BGA memory chips, which is a good start, but then I see only about half as many termination resistors as usual.  That suggests only half of the pin space is being used, and they simply put it in an SO-DIMM layout to save on manufacturing costs.  The pinout could be literally anything and it would be very risky to install a regular SO-DIMM part in there.

My guess is that the processor only has a 32-bit memory bus, so they basically made a half SODIMM, with part of the bus missing. If they used the standard pins for what's there, inserting a regular SODIMM at least won't blow anything up; but it'll show up as having only half of its rated capacity, if it shows up at all.

boing
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:36 am

The diagram says 64M x 16bit, so I googled both 16 bit and 32 bit DDR3 SODIMM's trying to find a picture of one with half the number of resistors. No luck. Other printer-specific SODIMM's for Lexmark and Dell that showed up, look like regular ones.
It seems to be a unique Samsung thingy, can't even find any information about the Chorus 3 Next chip.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:52 am

If it is really looking for a 16 bit module, a standard SODIMM is going to show up at only 1/4 of its rated capacity (if it is recognized at all).

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Last time I bought memory for a printer, I just looked the printer up on Crucial Technology's website.Theirs memory is guarenteed for life and they have pretty good prices and fast shipping.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
Last time I bought memory for a printer, I just looked the printer up on Crucial Technology's website.Theirs memory is guarenteed for life and they have pretty good prices and fast shipping.

That particular printer doesn't seem to be in their database, as CLX-series printers doesn't appear to be in their list of product lines for Samsung.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

That particular printer doesn't seem to be in their database, as CLX-series printers doesn't appear to be in their list of product lines for Samsung.

Is it a rebadge from a different manufacturer, maybe? I have a Dell office laser that's manufactured by Lexmark, for instance.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:01 pm

This place appears to have that module for $49:

http://www.iteminconline.com/jc92-02472 ... AtlX8P8HAQ

No idea if they'll ship to you.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Mr Bill wrote:

I suggest the OP try contacting them under support. I was looking for compatible memory for my Asus motherboard and was unsure if the memory on Amazon was a fit. They looked it up and assured me it was the right module and guarenteed it would work or they would make it right. After looking at Samsungs price (I found $750 for 1GB) its worth a try. :D
bthylafh wrote:

Thats more like the price I would expect!
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro

boing
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:11 am

bthylafh wrote:

Thanks for trying to find one. That one in particular is only 512 mb. The same webstore does have the 1 gb SODIMM, which they charge $375 for. Albeit it's signifantly less than other suppliers I've found, I can still buy a brand new laser colour printer with 1 gb of memory for that kind of money.
I did get a reply from Samsung support. They say that they have no information or documents that confirms that a general memory stick will work, and they don't think it will. I'm welcome to try, but do so on my own risk and it's nothing they recommend.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:23 am

I suppose you could compare the visible layers of the PCB against a SODIMM pinout, and verify that the power rails seem to be in the right place, and the control and data lines are connected to the termination resistors. Obviously you can't verify the connections all the way through to the DRAM chip with an ohmmeter since it is a BGA chip, but if the power and data connections look "reasonable" at least that would reduce the risk of frying something by inserting a standard DIMM.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:31 am

boing wrote:
Thanks for trying to find one. That one in particular is only 512 mb. The same webstore does have the 1 gb SODIMM, which they charge $375 for. Albeit it's signifantly less than other suppliers I've found, I can still buy a brand new laser colour printer with 1 gb of memory for that kind of money.

Have you confirmed that you need a full 1GB upgrade to get the printer's performance up to par?  512MB might be enough.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:37 am

ludi wrote:
boing wrote:

Have you confirmed that you need a full 1GB upgrade to get the printer's performance up to par?  512MB might be enough.

I just assumed it has only a single slot (he already has 512MB).

the
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:
SODIMMs do not come in ECC, there aren't enough extra pins. I doubt there are registered variants either (but could be wrong). It is basically going to come down to whether the printer sees something it doesn't like in the SPD.

There are ECC DDR3 and DDR4 SODIMMs.

For example:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820239702

I know that there are registered + ECC DDR4 SODIMMs but not sure about registered + ECC DDR3 SODIMMS (haven't really looked either).
Dual Opteron 6376, 96 GB DDR3, Asus KGPE-D16, GTX 970
Mac Pro Dual Xeon E5645, 48 GB DDR3, GTX 770
Core i7 3930K@4.2 Ghz, 32 GB DDR3, GA-X79-UP5-Wifi
Core i7 2600K@4.4 Ghz, 16 GB DDR3, GTX 970, GA-X68XP-UD4

boing
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:33 pm

just brew it! wrote:
ludi wrote:
boing wrote:

Correct.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:45 pm

the wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

There are ECC DDR3 and DDR4 SODIMMs.

For example:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6820239702

I know that there are registered + ECC DDR4 SODIMMs but not sure about registered + ECC DDR3 SODIMMS (haven't really looked either).

:oops:

I stand... corrected. (heh)

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:52 pm

boing wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
ludi wrote:

Correct.

Ah.  That might explain why the 512MB modules are so cheap, then -- they're probably being recovered out of scrapped printers.

neo2000
Gerbil In Training

Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:51 am

Hi there, I know that this thread is a bit old, but I recently bought a CX517de and thought I could use notebook ddr3l memory, but the printer does not boot up at all. So I found your discussion here and was wondering if anybody succeeded in modding his memory with the following tools zkemble/RAMSPDMod/tree/master/tools on github. I was able to read and to edit the SPD of my memory module after placing it inside a laptop. But I don't know which values the printer exspects when reading the modul's SPD. The module itself is a fast one that could be forced to use slow values (DDR3L 1Rx8 12800 PC3L 2048MB). So I'm in need of the SPD file of an original or compatible Lexmark memory module (57X9012) and I would be cheerful if someone could do the trick reading the SPD and send or puplish the file in this thread.

Awaiting your answers, best regards Timo
Am Ende ist Alles gut, ist es nicht gut, war es nicht das Ende :wink: