Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

BoyGenius
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

My pc building nightmare

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:34 am

I installed everything as the video said but when i flick my evga 500w powersupply's switch, the fan doesn't turn on inside the power supply. i dont know if it is my msi skylake b150 causing the problem, or just faulty wiring in my supply. I have undergone the paperclip test, but it worked. i have tried 2 different power supplies and have the same reaction. it could be my msi gtx 1050. I really need help. the only thing i have not installed is my dvd rom.

bfg-9000
Gerbil

Re: My pc building nightmare

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:13 am

Assuming you are not using an AT power supply from 1991, ATX supplies simply do not turn on their fans with just the rear switch, because the 5vsb draws so little power.

In fact, if your EVGA is one of the Leadex-made models instead of HEC, they may not even turn on the fan when the motherboard is running, until you exceed a minimum power draw.

DPete27
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:50 am

Yes, please confirm that your computer turns on at least? Your only problem is that the PSU fan doesn't spin?

What is the exact model of the PSU?
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Chrispy_
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:12 am

Sounds like you've put everything together and when you hit the power switch on the case, it's dead.

This is not uncommon, so don't panic.

If you are not in a hurry,
  1. take the time to carefully remove the RAM, cooler, CPU and motherboard.
  2. Inspect the case for any loose screws that could have been stuck between the motherboard and tray.
  3. Check that all the motherboard standoff pins correspond to holes in the board. An extra standoff will cause a ground short and prevent bootup.
  4. Inspect the CPU socket for bent pins, and reinstall the CPU into the socket.
  5. Reinstall the motherboard, ensure that no cables or anything else is trapped between it and the tray.
  6. Install just one stick of RAM and reinstall the CPU cooler.
  7. Connect just the 20+4 pin ATX power connector, the 4/8pin CPU power connector, and the case power button. NOTHING ELSE!!
  8. Try a power-on test.

Hopefully your PSU and CPU fans are now spinning, so turn it off again and add components and cables one at a time, testing each time you make a change. If you have any faults, this will isolate the faulty part. With a bit of luck, there was a just something causing a short or in need of reseating and you'll end up with a fully-working build. I've seen a shortout in a case USB port that prevented power-on, so don't just plug everything in hope for the best - if you test each item you plug in individually you'll know EXACTLY what the problem is without having to backtrack all over again.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:44 am

We really need to back up here and start from the beginning. It is very difficult to tell from your post what you have or haven't tried already. It sounds like maybe you expected the system (or at least the PSU fan) to start when you turn on the switch on the back of the PSU? This is not how things normally work.

It is NORMAL for the fan in the PSU to not spin when you turn on the switch on the PSU. The PSU fan (and rest of the system) should not start until you press the power button on the front of the case. Did you press the power button on the front of the case? If yes, did you double-check that you connected the front panel power button to the correct pins on the motherboard?

Did you remember to connect the ATX12V power connector to the motherboard? (This is a smaller, 4 or 8 pin connector located near the CPU socket.)

Please post the brand and model number of all major components, and be more detailed about what you actually did (or didn't) do. It is difficult for us to help you if you don't provide complete information.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

BoyGenius
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:21 pm

k, so i went back and checked the system, i have connected the atx 2 volt socket with its counterpart. then i plugged in my motherboard (MSI Intel Skylake B150 LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard) and the 24 pin is hooked in as far as i can tell. the evga psu has some snug wires so it is hard to tell if they are on all the way. my thermatake cpu fan is plugged into the cpufan1 port.my PCI E connector is hooked to my graphics card (MSI Computer Video Graphic Cards GeForce GTX 1050 TI) and is snug.my power button is attached to jfp1 in the correct spot says the manual. my power supply is connected to an extension cable. and my 1tb hard drive is connected to my sata 3 port and the power cable. so ya
If their is anything else i need to do plz let me know.

bfg-9000
Gerbil

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Then there is no problem at all, as you have not described one or answered any question besides JBI's. Why did you try a different power supply?

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:07 pm

have you made sure you connected the "system panel connector" correctly ?
InWin 303 - Asus z170a - G.Skill 32GB 2400 - i7-6700k - H60 - EVGA GTX 1070 FTW - EVGA Supernova G2 750w - M.2 950 Pro 256GB - Audioengine A5+ - Sennheiser HD 280pro - Win 10

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:28 am

So does ANYTHING happen when you push the power button on the front panel of the case? All you've indicated so far is that nothing happens when you turn on the switch on the PSU (which is normal).

According to the manual for that motherboard, there are some diagnostic LEDs near the DIMM slots; do any of them light up? Do any other LEDs turn on? Are there any noises or movement from any of the fans in the system?

It is possible (though unlikely) that the power button (or associated wiring) on the case is defective. You can try to start the system without it by removing the front panel power button connector from the motherboard header, and VERY CAREFULLY shorting the relevant bare pins on the motherboard header briefly with the tip of a screwdriver.
-- Steven Wilson

BoyGenius
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:54 am

So i finished the building process (Thanks) now i have to enter the bios which i cant presently do
the pc starts but nothing is displayed on my monitor even after trying f1 f2 f3 f4 delete or any other bios entry key. I will try removing some ram and see where it goes from their.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:58 am

What about the diagnostic LEDs? They are there to help you figure out why the system won't POST!
-- Steven Wilson

BoyGenius
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:13 am

so i looked and it is blinking on vga
i have it hooked to my tv via HDMI

DPete27

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:28 am

Remove the graphics card and plug the HDMI cable into the port on the motherboard's rear panel. Does that fix the issue? If it does, your mobo might be trying to launch from the CPU's integrated graphics instead of your GTX1050Ti. There is a BIOS setting under the "Advanced Settings" tab called "Integrated Graphics Configuration" and "Initiate Graphic Adapter [PEG]" which can be set to IGD (integrated graphics as primary boot device) or PEG (your GTX1050Ti as primary boot device). You'll want it set to PEG. After making the change, save your settings, shut down, and re-install the GTX1050Ti (with power cable) in the top long PCI-e x16 slot (closest to the processor) and try again.

I assume since you said you'd hooked power up to your MSI GTX1050Ti that you've got the MSI GTX1050Ti Gaming X?

The way to tell if the PSU power connectors are in all the way is to look at the latch. Every plug end has a latching tab, If the latch is behind the tab, you're good.
Last edited by DPete27 on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:40 am

Make sure the card is fully seated in the PCIe slot. Which slot did you use? The primary display card should go in PCI_E2 (the full-length slot closest to the CPU).

Can you get into the BIOS if you remove the GTX 1050 and use the onboard display connector? This would at least prove that the CPU, motherboard, and RAM are functioning.
-- Steven Wilson

Kretschmer
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:11 pm

If I had a buck for every build where I flipped the switch and nothing happened, I'd have enough for a small coffee. Every time? That dang front panel header!

BoyGenius
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 pm

so without the graphics card (msi gtx 1050 ti ) the computer starts. when i went to the bios to set it to peg i pressed save and reboot then reinstalled graphics card. same reaction

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:08 am

Kretschmer wrote:
Every time? That dang front panel header!

I put the motherboard in. I connect ATX power. I connect +12V power. Maybe I connect a few sata cables. Then I think, "oh wait, where's the panel header on this board?"

Exactly where I can't get to it with all that stuff in the way. ARG!
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

bfg-9000
Gerbil

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:22 am

k, so one end of the HDMI cable is attached to the TV. What is the other end attached to when the graphics card is installed?

You are sure typing a lot yet still not answering many of our questions. So far we still don't know what model EVGA PSU you have, which of the 18 MSI B150 motherboards you have, and we have to assume you have one of the two MSI 1050Ti cards that have 6-pin power connectors, and not a 1050 as you said before. It's taken two days to even find that the computer turns on but you have a black screen when the graphics card is installed. So ya, you're going to have to be more cooperative if you want some help.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:24 am

Try leaving the GPU installed, but connect the HDMI cable to the onboard port instead. Is the system starting, but still using the onboard video?
-- Steven Wilson

Kretschmer
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:49 am

Redocbew wrote:
Kretschmer wrote:
Every time? That dang front panel header!

I put the motherboard in. I connect ATX power. I connect +12V power. Maybe I connect a few sata cables. Then I think, "oh wait, where's the panel header on this board?"

Exactly where I can't get to it with all that stuff in the way. ARG!

I really wish that these internal pin headers would be replaced by ports. I bent a USB3 pin on my last build and never got around to fixing it, because giant fingers. Why not an internal USB3 port that connects to the front panel header? I'd gladly pay the $1/board. And don't get me started on all the tiny pins for front audio/power/hddstatus/et cetera. Always on the edge of the mobo; always too small for my mitts.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
I really wish that these internal pin headers would be replaced by ports. I bent a USB3 pin on my last build and never got around to fixing it, because giant fingers. Why not an internal USB3 port that connects to the front panel header?

The problem with this is that most cases wouldn't be compatible with it. You'd need to get the entire industry to switch over at once. This could be addressed with an additional adapter, but that would degrade signal integrity and (indirectly) reduce the usable length of USB device cables.

Kretschmer wrote:
I'd gladly pay the $1/board. And don't get me started on all the tiny pins for front audio/power/hddstatus/et cetera. Always on the edge of the mobo; always too small for my mitts.

The audio ones are at least standardized now.

Some motherboards provide a monolithic adapter block that you plug all the wires into, then plug the adapter block onto the motherboard header. This helps a lot, since you're not trying to individually plug all those tiny connectors onto a header that is buried inside your case.
-- Steven Wilson

MileageMayVary
Gerbil First Class

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
And don't get me started on all the tiny pins for front audio/power/hddstatus/et cetera. Always on the edge of the mobo; always too small for my mitts.

Main rig: Ryzen 1600, R9 290, 16GB 2666MHz, 1440 Dell Ultrasharp.

bfg-9000
Gerbil

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Kretschmer wrote:
Why not an internal USB3 port that connects to the front panel header? I'd gladly pay the $1/board.

In the early days of USB 3.0 (before they became integrated into the chipset), cases with header cables weren't common yet so boards often came with two internal USB 3.0 ports. I've had to use adapters to convert them to modern cases: Image.
Nowadays there are adapters to convert the other way, because some old cases were made with port cables because of this: Image

I've straightened a lot of bent pins--CPU pins are the worst as they tend to be so thin you can only bend them a couple more times before they snap off. I saw a lot of bent end pins on floppy and IDE headers before they started putting a plastic wall around the pins (the pins themselves are a lot sturdier than the tiny USB ones), which are easier to fix than a blind indexing plug punching the wrong pin in. I don't understand how people manage to mash the pins in something like a CF card reader or PCMCIA as you're only supposed to be able to insert it one way--I suppose some people think using as much force as necessary is normal, which would also explain things like plugging an EPS connector into PCIe.

I have a large collection of picks and tweezers I use to fix bent pins, but the set of alligator forceps is invaluable for reaching jumpers and pin headers without disassembling everything first

DPete27

Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 pm

Those small straws that are given out as stir sticks for coffee work very well for straightening out bent CPU pins. Header pins on a mobo are more sturdy than CPU pins, but it would be worth giving the stir straw a try. They're certainly more accurate / less clunky than any pliers.

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:23 pm

DPete27 wrote:
Those small straws that are given out as stir sticks for coffee work very well for straightening out bent CPU pins. Header pins on a mobo are more sturdy than CPU pins, but it would be worth giving the stir straw a try. They're certainly more accurate / less clunky than any pliers.

That's an amazing idea I'm gonna have to borrow from ya. :wink:

Redocbew
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:57 pm

Empty mechanical pencils are good for that also. I used to always have a few mechanical pencils lying around somewhere while I was still in school. It was the only way to make my stereotypically terrible geek handwriting somewhat legible.

The tiny-straw-stir-sticks might be more readily available. Who still writes on dead trees these days anyway. :P
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

not@home
Gerbil

Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:45 pm

It seems he is having the same problem I am having with my MSI z270PCMate. I hooked a monitor up to each output (mobo and GPU) to help troubleshoot, but it just doesn't post with the GPU installed.

Edit 1 for spelling

Edit 2 for my solution, which may help. I found the problem on my build. I went to Advanced Mode (F7) > Settings > Advanced > PCI Subsystem Settings > PEG0 - Max Link Speed and switched it to Gen2. Now it works.

southrncomfortjm
Silver subscriber
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:04 pm

I had a similar issue with my old Rosewill Tachyon 550w - PC wouldn't start with GPU installed, but worked fine without it. I never really did figure out what the issue was, but since it was within warranty, I got a replacement from Rosewill, and a 650w at that. That was after I tried a different mother board too (luckily it was a Microcenter openbox, so I just took it back, no harm no foul).

IMO, RMA it.
Gaming: i5-3570k/Z77/212 Evo/Corsair 500R/16GB 1600 CL8/RX 480 8GB/840 250gb, EVO 500gb, SG 3tb/Tachyon 650w/Win10

HTPC: i3 3225/H77/8gb g.skill 1.25v/1+2TB HDD/Asus BR/Silverstone GD05B/Antec 380w/Win10

Kougar
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 pm

Redocbew wrote:
Empty mechanical pencils are good for that also.

Yeah, I still have mine from school as well. What size though, as I know they come in 7mm, 5mm, and I think 9mm? I'm would guess 5mm won't fit?