Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Klickey
Gerbil

Re: Need a new office chair.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:14 am

No matter which chair you buy, just make sure it supports the back by having a curve accordingly to human back. I'm getting backache and my neck hurts because of my office chair. The ladies in my office has the same problem, they keep asking when if ever we would have chairs that are separate for women and men. Have anyone know anything about these?
Every once in a while, a new technology, an old problem, and a big idea turn into an innovation - Dean Kamen :D

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:48 am

Chairs with chest support?
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
whm1974 wrote:
Thanks. I'll take a look at HON chairs. I take it that they are pricey?

Yep. Real office chairs at real office prices, but they last forever.

Only like 7 months late to this.

My biggest problem with chairs is the seal or whatever on the cylinders leak and they don't stay up right. Ned, seeing as you and I match similar physiques, you say the HONs don't have this issue?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:19 pm

dashbarron wrote:
My biggest problem with chairs is the seal or whatever on the cylinders leak and they don't stay up right. Ned, seeing as you and I match similar physiques, you say the HONs don't have this issue?

Every chair finally succumbs to my gravitational field, but the HON lasted longer than any other (that was in my price range).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

End User
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:55 pm

If you are going to spend the money on a HON chair then you might as well buy something good.

You don’t want a padded bottom. You want mesh. Buy a remastered Aeron.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP

Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 am

End User wrote:
If you are going to spend the money on a HON chair then you might as well buy something good.

It's weird.

I started with those plush "executive" chairs with lots of padding and they all took a big beating by year 3. I finally stepped up to a higher grade mesh chair and it has definitely lasted longer, maybe year 5 now? It's hard to tell, but it feels more supportive but less comfortable, if that makes sense? The plushness of the cheapos feel great, but much like a hooker deep down it feels kind of vapid and void.

Keeping these in mind when it's time to upgrade. Computer first, then chair :)

And thanks Ned.

End User

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:38 am

The nice thing about mesh is that it breathes. Long gaming sessions during the summer (even with air conditioning) are brutal in a chair that does not breathe. I go a step further and have a fan direct air towards the back of my chair - like a cooled seat in a car.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:59 am

End User wrote:
The nice thing about mesh is that it breathes. Long gaming sessions during the summer (even with air conditioning) are brutal in a chair that does not breathe. I go a step further and have a fan direct air towards the back of my chair - like a cooled seat in a car.

No matter how good your chair is, you should be getting up and walking around periodically (or using the "stand" feature of your desk, if you have it). Sitting in the same spot for hours on end is really bad for you.

That said, I've thought about getting a fan to circulate air around my seat and legs at work. The room I'm in has a bunch of people who like to keep the room way too warm. I already have one of these on my desk and it helps a lot, but only with my upper body.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

End User

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:09 am

just brew it! wrote:
No matter how good your chair is, you should be getting up and walking around periodically (or using the "stand" feature of your desk, if you have it). Sitting in the same spot for hours on end is really bad for you.

That goes without saying.

End User

Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:11 am

just brew it! wrote:
That said, I've thought about getting a fan to circulate air around my seat and legs at work.

I use a Dyson tower fan.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:21 pm

I've recently ordered another Herman Miller Aeron chair from MadisonSeating.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

LiamSnow
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:32 am

Hey! I have been using the Steelcase Gesture Chair from the past 2 years. I had back problems in the past but after using this chair, the back problems disappeared. The chair is a bit pricey, but it is worth the money as it provides brilliant comfort.
You may also opt for the Ergohuman Office Chair. Hope I Helped Someone :).
Also, Stay Safe!

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:47 pm

dashbarron wrote:
End User wrote:

It's weird.

I started with those plush "executive" chairs with lots of padding and they all took a big beating by year 3. I finally stepped up to a higher grade mesh chair and it has definitely lasted longer, maybe year 5 now? It's hard to tell, but it feels more supportive but less comfortable, if that makes sense? The plushness of the cheapos feel great, but much like a hooker deep down it feels kind of vapid and void.

Keeping these in mind when it's time to upgrade. Computer first, then chair :)

And thanks Ned.

Well in my case the Fabric covered office chair I brought at Big Lots around mid 2013 is still in good shape. I have no need to replace it just yet. Just think, I only paid ~$100 for the chair.

Igor_Kavinski

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:46 am

Klickey wrote:
No matter which chair you buy, just make sure it supports the back by having a curve accordingly to human back. I'm getting backache and my neck hurts because of my office chair. The ladies in my office has the same problem, they keep asking when if ever we would have chairs that are separate for women and men. Have anyone know anything about these?

No need for separate chairs. I use this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/go ... posture-cu

Pretty effective.

Also, I underwent this treatment (5 sessions) to fix my unbalanced spine: https://www.kktspine.com/global-locations/

After every session, I felt great. Apparently, the sound waves influence the the skeleton to re-adjust itself. You have to wait about 3 to 4 months for the necessary adjustments to take place naturally after 5 sessions before the doctor will decide if you need more sessions. Cost for me in Abu Dhabi without insurance was a bit less than $800.

kaiser77_1982
Gerbil In Training

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:07 am

For me, the best chair are professional. In Spain I said "Chairs of executives". They are expensive, but they are too good, better that the gaming.

campinggoal
Gerbil In Training

Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:40 am

Klickey wrote:

you are right office chairs are bought by just keeping budget in mind mostly. They dont keep in mind personal ergonomics. Thats why most of the workers end up with backpain. However there are a lot chairs available on amazon which help you minimize backpain or completely avoid it if you buy it at a right time.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:46 pm

campinggoal wrote:
Klickey wrote:

you are right office chairs are bought by just keeping budget in mind mostly. They dont keep in mind personal ergonomics. Thats why most of the workers end up with backpain. However there are a lot chairs available on amazon which help you minimize backpain or completely avoid it if you buy it at a right time.

Speaking of which, the $100 office chair with arms works a lot better then whatever chairs I happen to have at the time or was given. I can't believe that I never brought a chair before 2013...