Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Mouse Suggestion Please

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:02 pm

So I need to buy a new mouse. The button on my current mouse is worn out an not picking up clicks reliably. I've gone through fixing the buttons a couple times now, and I'm tired of doing that. So it's time or something new, one that may not get worn out so often.

For most, I imagine, it's simply a matter of finding one that you are comfortable with, and has the features you are looking for. Unfortunately, for me that is a bit difficult. I have limited movement in my thumb, so thumb buttons are difficult. That being said, I find additional mouse buttons quite useful. So I've been using this model:
LINK

I like the design, because I can program the top mounted buttons for additional function and reach them easy enough with my index and middle finger. Unfortunately, it seems to have a way of wearing out. I have other mice that have lasted for years and years, but I've had 2 of this model and repaired the buttons on both within 24 months.

I was hoping some Forum Gerbils knew of a mouse with similar top mounted buttons that is similar to what I've been using. I've done some searching, but I'm coming up a bit empty. Don't worry about budget, if it has what I need, I will pay.

Thanks in advance!

Max

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Mouse Suggestion Please

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:11 pm

I haven't used this model myself, but the Corsair Gaming Sabre looks like a good fit. Other Corsair mice I've had seemed to have good buttons, which is important when I used to play MMOs from holding down the right button (mouselook) for hours every day.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:35 pm

That one could work. Looks like those buttons are programmable. I've seen a lot that have a button or two there, but many aren't easily programmable.

fhohj
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:33 am

can confirm the dpi buttons are programmable. the button underneath the scroll wheel is unbound so you can program that to cycle dpi or be a profile cycling button. however, in the latter case, you must make sure it's set that way for each profile or you will not be able to cycle anymore.

however, do note that only a single profile can be saved to the mouse. so if you create 3 profiles, and set the button underneath the scroll wheel to cycle, it won't work without the software running. only a single set of static colours and other settings can be saved to the mouse's on-board memory. I think you can create more profiles than the g502 though.

the G502 also has two buttons in the exact same place, but also has a scroll wheel that clicks three ways. unlike the corsair mouse, the g502 can store three sets of profiles in its on-board memory, so theoretically you can set three different button combinations, which you can cycle through with a button. unlike the corsair mouse though, the logitech software will force any button you set as cycler to be the same for all profiles (which just makes sense, but I thought I'll mention it).

logitech also has one above the g502, the chaos spectrum, which may prove interesting to you. it doesn't have as good a configuration of top-facing buttons, but does possibly provide one button more through having two banks of configurable sets of side buttons or side button bank covers. I don't have that mouse personally so I can't say how easy they are to reach with fingers. maybe only the frontmost one would be realistic. which would tie it with the g502.

I think perhaps you should have a look at this fellow right here, and perhaps see if you can shoot an email or other communication off at the folks who reviewed them to see if there are any like them.

http://gamingshogun.com/2016/05/31/bloo ... -a-review/

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:44 am

MaxTheLimit wrote:
I was hoping some Forum Gerbils knew of a mouse with similar top mounted buttons that is similar to what I've been using. I've done some searching, but I'm coming up a bit empty. Don't worry about budget, if it has what I need, I will pay.

Roccat Kova (2 Smartcast buttons): http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Mice/Kova/. This is my daily driver. Default binding goes to PgUp/PgDn, can be remapped, and/or functionality expanded with their 'Shift' function. Main buttons are Omron but the secondaries are not. Pixelart optical sensor, not the most modern, but at 3500 dpi before overdrive, is more than enough for most users.

Roccat Tyon (4 Smartcast buttons): http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Mice/Tyon/. 8000 dpi Laser (ew) sensor.

All the Roccats have RGB lighting (eh) that can be turned off, and button and macro binding that can be recalled (not sure about binding) without needing their configuration software running (on-board ROM). I do like that pressing the 'Shift' function switches my lights to a different color, so the state is easily identifiable. You can also set the RGB to be profile-specific, e.g. Red for FPS, Blue for MMO, Green for desktop/Excel, etc.

Worth mentioning that there have been a lot of reports of Logitechs failing, because although they use Omron microswitches, the button design itself is not robust. YMMV.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Those Roccat offerings look interesting. I think the shape is one that I trend towards as well. May have to see about finding a way to hold one and decide if it feels right.

Thanks for the multiple options!

Voldenuit

Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:06 pm

MaxTheLimit wrote:
Those Roccat offerings look interesting. I think the shape is one that I trend towards as well. May have to see about finding a way to hold one and decide if it feels right.

Thanks for the multiple options!

From what I hear, the Tyon feels like a G502/503, and the Kova is quite close to the G402, but a bit longer, not as tall and broader in the back. Tyon for palmers and Kova for fingerers.

Also, sounds like you were the victim of Logitech's shoddy button design on your old mouse, I've been avoiding them for a while because of issues like yours (sticking buttons, not registering double clicks) being reported in forums.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

not@home
Gerbil

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:23 pm

Yeah, Logitech used those crappy Omron switches for a bunch of mice. My Performance MX stopped working with a month of warranty left. I contacted Logitech and they sent me a new one and did not ask for my old one. I repaired the old one twice now. The first time I took the switch apart and bent the spring and put it all back together. The second time I just purchased a half dozen new switches from Digikey and soldered a new switch on. I have not even taken the replacement mouse out of the box yet. I use a different mouse for gaming so that helps. I understand the thumb thing too. I smashed my left pointer finger a few years ago. That has slowed my typing down a lot.

Larochepiano
Gerbil In Training

Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:58 pm

I'm not an expert in mouses, but I've used my fair share of mouses in my life. For the past five years, I've used Razer product, and I can say I will probably try another brand soon.

If you liked the Logitech G300, you might like my recommendation. The Logitech G600 MMO Mouse. It has A LOT of programmable buttons, you can customize the button colors plus it's pretty comfortable. I am aware you have a limited thumb movement, but you could still benefit from this mouse.

Another suggestion would be the Razer Mamba Tournament Edition. It's a simple yet effective mouse. You can customize the buttons. Unfortunately, there isn't a huge amount of buttons.

Those would be my top two picks. Here is an article that could maybe help you on your pick. https://exposegaming.com/best-gaming-mouse-under-100/
You can explore the site, I know they have a couple articles about gaming mouses.

Anyways, good luck on your search!

RickyTick
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:16 pm

FWIW, I just bought a Logitech G502 because the reviews said it was great, awesome, blah, blah, blah. I like a lot of the things about it, but it's small and makes my hand cramp, and I have normal sized hands. Plus the thumb buttons are not easy to reach compared to the MX518 I had previously.
Corsair 450D | EVGA SuperNova G3 650W | Asus Z270 Prime-A | Intel i7-7700K | Cryorig H7 | MSI GTX1070 Gaming X 8G | 16gb GSkill TridentZ DDR4 3200 | Crucial MX300 M.2-2280 1TB | Corsair K70 Rapidfire | Logitech G502 | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q

agentbb007
Gerbil In Training

Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm

I have the Razer DeathAdder Elite and it's the most accurate mouse I've ever used, I'm totally in love with it.

LostCat

Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:52 pm

I just got a Corsair Katar myself and I have no complaints...except Mass Effect Andromeda won't launch if the Corsair Utility Engine is loaded, and you need that to keep the stupid LED off :lol:

Possible I could've just told it not to load at launch instead of uninstalling, not sure yet.

It's not button heavy if you really need that crap, but I don't so heh.
Meow.

Voldenuit

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:56 pm

not@home wrote:
Yeah, Logitech used those crappy Omron switches for a bunch of mice. My Performance MX stopped working with a month of warranty left. I contacted Logitech and they sent me a new one and did not ask for my old one. I repaired the old one twice now. The first time I took the switch apart and bent the spring and put it all back together. The second time I just purchased a half dozen new switches from Digikey and soldered a new switch on. I have not even taken the replacement mouse out of the box yet. I use a different mouse for gaming so that helps. I understand the thumb thing too. I smashed my left pointer finger a few years ago. That has slowed my typing down a lot.

The Omrons aren't the problem; they're the best micro switches in the industry and standard on nearly all high end gaming mice. The problem is Logitech's button design, which doesn't seem to be as robust as other brands.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:39 am

Voldenuit wrote:
The problem is Logitech's button design, which doesn't seem to be as robust as other brands.

I'm assuming this is something new, because I have some older Logitech mice that seem to be lasting forever.

not@home
Gerbil

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
not@home wrote:

The Omrons aren't the problem; they're the best micro switches in the industry and standard on nearly all high end gaming mice. The problem is Logitech's button design, which doesn't seem to be as robust as other brands.

I am 100% sure the problem is the Omron switch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82z-OpHdBgE

Voldenuit

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 pm

not@home wrote:
Voldenuit wrote:
not@home wrote:

I am 100% sure the problem is the Omron switch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82z-OpHdBgE

Neat, thanks for the info. Weird that I hadn't seen reports of widespread failures of other brands of mice, maybe it's just because logi sells more mice than anyone else?
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:17 pm

I really like my Corsair M95, however... I should have grabbed the M65 instead. Way too many button on this mouse that I rarely if ever use. The M65 was more up my alley. Ohh how I miss my Logitech G5 though :cry:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

AlexsandroRistafan
Gerbil In Training

Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:41 pm

If you want a close replica of the mouse you had except it's just a newer Logitech version I'd check out the Logitech G700s.

You also have the capability of making it wireless if you want. If you don't mind a mouse of that type that is. I've been using one for about a year and haven't had any issues with it. Fits my hand perfectly, and I like the ability to have mouse buttons on the side and on top just like you.