Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

cphite
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Dell laptop DVD drive not working

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:21 pm

My wife has a Dell Inspiron 15R Notebook - it still works well after 5 years, especially since I migrated her to an SSD... our biggest issue is that since she upgraded to Windows 10 (it was originally running 8 ) the DVD player no longer works. It's not a hardware issue - I can still see it in the BIOS and I can access it perfectly well if I boot the machine up to Linux. I fixed it once before by removing the device from Windows and rebooting, but there has apparently been an update since then and now it's not working again. Now when I remove and reboot, it's adding the drive back but it doesn't work.

Windows shows the device in Device Manager as working properly; it just won't read or even acknowledge that a disc has been inserted. CD or DVD, the drive will spin for a moment but then nothing, and if Windows was expecting a disc it prompts to insert one. Based on some browsing of various Dell forums, this seems to be "a thing" with Dell laptops and Windows 10 and I've seen (and tried) various other ways to resolve it... Dell has an app that's supposed to update the driver, that didn't resolve it. Have tried the generic "hardware fix" app from the MS website, as well as one geared more towards DVD drive specifically... no luck with any of it.

So my question is, has anyone else here seen this and found a reliable way to fix?

Barring that, was hoping for some recommendations to replace the laptop. It's been a long time since I've shopped for laptops and, while I can definitely find tons of reviews, I tend to get better information from this group.

Basically, she'd like something that runs Windows 10 (she isn't interested in Apple or Linux and has some apps that require Windows) and has a large (15"+) monitor. As far as performance goes she's basically running things like Excel, Quicken, and some genealogy software; and apart from that web browsing. No gaming or anything like that. Don't need an SSD as I will most likely recycle the one she has now. Not at all interested in another Dell; I am frankly tired of their **** when it comes to drivers (which is the root of this and so many other problems).

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Dell laptop DVD drive not working

Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:51 pm

You can try fully refreshing Windows 10 as a last resort, but otherwise it's probably new laptop time, especially if Dell doesn't list Windows 10 support for that model. There's an issue on the Latitude 64xx series under Windows 10 (if using a model with Intel HD3000 graphics) where the the display brightness hotkeys stop working after a hibernate, but come back after a reboot or lid-sleep. Should be an easy BIOS or driver fix but they've done nothing about it, and they don't list Windows 10 support for that model so they likely never will.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Get a new laptop, then put Linux on the old one and use it as a secondary laptop for web/e-mail (and anything else that doesn't require Windows).
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:31 pm

Could it be the drive motor failing? What you describe sounds like that, based on my experience about ten years ago with a failing DVD drive - Windows could see that the drive was there, but the drive motor itself was unable to spin up a disc properly in order to read it. It started intermittently, but got worse and worse until the drive was unusable.

I was able to replace the DVD drive easily and cheaply - would that be an option for you?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:57 pm

Chuckaluphagus wrote:
Could it be the drive motor failing? What you describe sounds like that, based on my experience about ten years ago with a failing DVD drive - Windows could see that the drive was there, but the drive motor itself was unable to spin up a disc properly in order to read it. It started intermittently, but got worse and worse until the drive was unusable.

I was able to replace the DVD drive easily and cheaply - would that be an option for you?

He said the drive works fine if he boots into Linux. That pretty much rules out a hardware problem with the drive.
If the world isn't making sense to you, you're either drinking too much or not drinking enough.

cphite
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:16 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Get a new laptop, then put Linux on the old one and use it as a secondary laptop for web/e-mail (and anything else that doesn't require Windows).

Not a bad idea :)

I do have a Linux laptop that I use for web stuff, but it's going on seven years old and both the drive and the screen are starting to die...

Based on conversations with the wife, I think she's wanting a new laptop anyway... I'd like to fix the DVD issue just because it's there - but I've reached the point where it's more frustrating than fun.

MaxTheLimit
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:19 pm

Have you already tried the upper / lower filter registry fix?

LINK

Chuckaluphagus
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:52 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Chuckaluphagus wrote:

He said the drive works fine if he boots into Linux. That pretty much rules out a hardware problem with the drive.

You're right, my reading error. Sorry about that.