Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Takeshi7
Gerbil
Topic Author

Does a product like this exist? (PCI supplemental power card/extension?)

Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:52 am

Hello. I have a PCI card that requires more power than my motherboard can handle. I found this PCIe to PCI adapter card that uses a Molex connector for power.

Startech PCIe to PCI adapter:

Is there anything like this that's just straight PCI to PCI, with either a Molex or SATA power connector so that it can provide the extra power my motherboard can't supply? If not I'll probably have to break out my multimeter and figure out how to jankily solder a SATA power connector to the card.

Just in case it's relevant the card I need power for is a Diamond Stealth S80 PCI Radeon 9200SE 128MB, and my motherboard is a PCChips M789CG v3.0A

ozzuneoj
Gerbil XP

Re: Does a product like this exist? (PCI supplemental power card/extension?)

Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:40 pm

Are you certain that the PCI slots aren't providing enough power? A 9200SE was pretty standard as far as PCI graphics cards from the early 2000s are concerned.

Also, that's quite a beastly system you're putting together. What do you intend to do with the 9200se in there? :)
Desktop - i5 2500K@4.2Ghz - MSI P67A-G43 - 16GB DDR3-1866 - PNY GTX 970 - Samsung SM841 128GB
Laptop - Asus Q500A - Core i5 3210M - 6GB DDR3-1600 - 840 EVO 256GB - AUO 1080P
HTPC - i5 4590 - Asus B85 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 64GB Crucial C300 - EVGA GT 740 GDDR5

Takeshi7
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm not 100% certain that it's a power problem, but I'm pretty sure. The system works fine in 2D mode, but as soon as I open anything that uses 3D the system instantly reboots and BIOS POSTS again. I also tried a Geforce 4 MX4000 and that had similar issues with instant reboots. I just don't think this motherboard was designed with power hungry PCI cards in mind. I plan to use this PC as a cheap Windows 98 / Windows XP gaming PC. I know it's not top hardware but it is mostly spare stuff I had lying around.

Edit. Also the PSU is 350 watts which should be more than enough, which is why I think it's the motherboard PCI slot and not the PSU.
Last edited by Takeshi7 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Aren't PCI cards typically powered directly off of the 3.3V/5V/12V rails? This sounds more like a PSU problem to me.
The years just pass like trains. I wave, but they don't slow down.
-- Steven Wilson

Takeshi7
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Aren't PCI cards typically powered directly off of the 3.3V/5V/12V rails? This sounds more like a PSU problem to me.

I edited my post after your post. My PSU at 350W should be more than adequate for this system.
Last edited by Takeshi7 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:01 pm

That depends. If your PSU is as bottom-end as your motherboard (PC Chips 'boards are truly awful), it's not going to be adequate.
Hakkaa päälle!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|SanDisk Ultra II 480GB|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45|Logitech MX 518 & F310|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

Depends on the Rails. Some PSUs(Cheap ones) can't supply their rated wattage and/or properly supply the voltage on the 12v/5v/3.3v rails.

I.S.T.
Gerbil XP

bthylafh wrote:
That depends. If your PSU is as bottom-end as your motherboard (PC Chips 'boards are truly awful), it's not going to be adequate.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR POSTING AS I POST ;)

Takeshi7
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:20 pm

It's a Logisys PSU. I'm not sure of the exact model, but it was the cheapest PSU Newegg sold at the time. (This motherboard was also at one point the cheapest motherboard/CPU/VGA combo on Newegg) I have never seen this motherboard/CPU/HDD draw more than 25 Watts, even under full load, I'm just going to figure out how to solder a SATA power connector to the PCI card since that will be the cheapest route. If I do that without breaking the card and it still crashes when I run 3D things, then I will consider investing in a better PSU.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:38 pm

How old is this PSU? Does the PSU at least have native SATA connectors or were you planning to use a 4-pin Molex to SATA adapter? Molex to SATA adapter omits the 3.3V rail since there is only 5V and 12V on a 4-pin Molex. (This is mostly OK because very few HDDs/SSDs actually need 3.3V.)

As I noted a few posts back, I am doubtful adding the connector will accomplish anything since I am pretty sure it is going to be pulling power from the same rails the motherboard is feeding to the PCI slots already.
-- Steven Wilson

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:51 pm

Here's a random Logisys PSU review I found from a few years ago: http://www.overclockers.com/logisys-ps480x2-review/

From the Conclusion section:
The Logisys PS480X2 surprised me, I was expecting total garbage and I only got mostly garbage.

To summarize a bit, there are pros:

Cheap, really cheap.
Didn’t explode.

There are cons, too:

Regulation borderline.
Ripple control is horrid.
Cannot deliver 330 W, let alone the box’s 480 W.
Major solder ball issues.
Scary-thin wall plug cord.
Secondary rectifiers woefully undersized.
-- Steven Wilson

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Given that the motherboard in question has a VIA C3, weak/bare minimum power delivery is not out of the question. I wouldn't spend money on a new PSU chasing this though - you could buy an old complete (much faster) Intel desktop for the same money

Takeshi7
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:59 pm

just brew it! wrote:
How old is this PSU? Does the PSU at least have native SATA connectors or were you planning to use a 4-pin Molex to SATA adapter? Molex to SATA adapter omits the 3.3V rail since there is only 5V and 12V on a 4-pin Molex. (This is mostly OK because very few HDDs/SSDs actually need 3.3V.)

As I noted a few posts back, I am doubtful adding the connector will accomplish anything since I am pretty sure it is going to be pulling power from the same rails the motherboard is feeding to the PCI slots already.

Yeah, the PSU has native SATA connectors. It's similar, but not exactly like the one in that review you posted. If soldering a SATA connector to the card works I will post pictures on here.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Here's a random Logisys PSU review I found from a few years ago: http://www.overclockers.com/logisys-ps480x2-review/

"The box is hilariously tiny and features a piece of blue tape over the features line talking about having UL certification."

loool

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Haven't modern PSUs moved towards having more of their juice on the 12v rail in recent years? If the PCI slots are drawing from another rail, it could be that a modern supply doesn't cope with this higher draw on the other rails?

Totally grasping at straws here. That's assuming this isn't the original PSU. If it is, then I guess it should be "right" even if it might be "dying".
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
I control the groove

bthylafh
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Do it outside so you don't burn your apartment down. You *will* release the magic smoke eventually.
Hakkaa päälle!
i5-2500K@4.3|Asus P8P67-LE|8GB DDR3-1600|Powercolor R7850 2G|SanDisk Ultra II 480GB|1988 Model M|Saitek X-45|Logitech MX 518 & F310|Dell 2209WA|Sennheiser PC151|Asus Xonar DX

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:45 pm

Yeah, attempting to add a SATA power connector to an old PCI GPU does sound like something with potential for fireworks...
-- Steven Wilson

Takeshi7
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Update: So I successfully soldered a SATA power connector to the graphics card. I hooked up the 12V and 5V to capacitors that were being fed by the motherboard. Unfortunately the computer still restarts whenever I opened a 3D application, so I just gave up.

Heiwashin
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:31 am

Takeshi7 wrote:
Update: So I successfully soldered a SATA power connector to the graphics card. I hooked up the 12V and 5V to capacitors that were being fed by the motherboard. Unfortunately the computer still restarts whenever I opened a 3D application, so I just gave up.

Planning to ignore the fact that everyone already told you the problem. I think there are engineers here wouldn't have the balls to try to do a solder job like that. You're going to blow something up.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

ludi
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:58 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Takeshi7 wrote:

Planning to ignore the fact that everyone already told you the problem. I think there are engineers here wouldn't have the balls to try to do a solder job like that. You're going to blow something up.

That's one type of engineer, yes. The other is "Only one way to find out..."
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration