Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

TV Solution

Thu May 25, 2017 10:46 am

So trying to figure out the best solution and looking for nerdy options. I need to get an over-the-air television signal to a TV in a really inconvenient spot, where a locally attached antenna won't work and running cables isn't preferred.There's an antenna and TV tower outside, so the source quality is good. I just don't know how to get it it from there to this TV.

Is there a hardware device, an app, or some solution/combination to use with WIFI to get it to the TV? I realize at this point I could get a Roku or such and stream something from the net, but they're really looking just to have the local TV option.

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Re: TV Solution

Thu May 25, 2017 10:55 am

I imagine this is what you'd want: http://www.nyrius.com/ny-gs10-5-8ghz-4- ... r-receiver

You can Internet Search the model number "ny-gs10" and you'll get a number of results for similar gear.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 am

Vhalidictes wrote:
I imagine this is what you'd want: http://www.nyrius.com/ny-gs10-5-8ghz-4- ... r-receiver

You can Internet Search the model number "ny-gs10" and you'll get a number of results for similar gear.

That's not going to transfer an OTA antenna signal, only a source already obtained and converted to analog A/V at another location.

FWIW, I think what the OP wants to do is nearly rare to nonexistent. Run a wire to a better location, or install an amplified antenna at the TV.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2017 11:52 am

ludi wrote:
Vhalidictes wrote:

That's not going to transfer an OTA antenna signal, only a source already obtained and converted to analog A/V at another location.

FWIW, I think what the OP wants to do is nearly rare to nonexistent. Run a wire to a better location, or install an amplified antenna at the TV.

Well that was my conclusion from those devices, is that they wouldn't do the converting just the displaying.

I was hoping there's something that will input coaxial, and transmit via WIFI, or Ethernet then off to WIFI.

I haven't messed with those old TV tuner cards in years, but is there something that we could run into a server, than distribute out the network (Via WI-Fi) to a piece of hardware/dongle plugged into the TV through an app or program?

Vhalidictes
Gerbil Jedi

Thu May 25, 2017 11:56 am

I found this: http://www.highdefforum.com/local-hdtv-info-reception/146752-ota-repeater.html which is an interesting read. Essentially, retransmitting OTA signals runs into legal problems, so it's not a thing for that reason.

EndlessWaves
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu May 25, 2017 12:50 pm

There are several boxes that include this functionality, but something like an HDHomeRun is probably the most focused on your situation.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu May 25, 2017 1:02 pm

EndlessWaves wrote:
There are several boxes that include this functionality, but something like an HDHomeRun is probably the most focused on your situation.

Interesting...the price is pretty good, too (looking at Amazon). Wonder if or how they get around rebroadcast issues.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2017 1:07 pm

EndlessWaves wrote:

This looks to be what I need. I just need to find the right solution to end the chain. Looks like maybe Plex could be used, or the right kind of smart TV that can download the App. Last I knew, Samsung and LG TVS had their own closed off store.

SoM
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 25, 2017 3:56 pm

that hdhomerun looks interesting, will shoot a link to a friend who's OTA

thx

Win 10
InWin 303
Asus z170a
i7-6700k - H60
G.Skill 2x16GB 2400
M.2 950 Pro 256GB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
EVGA Supernova G2 750w
Acer XG270HU
HD 280pro

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 25, 2017 4:03 pm

They're pretty nifty. I have the cable card version, and it's been problem-free for the past year or so. Plex works well with it, although the Plex app for my TV has developed connection issues lately. Works fine from a standalone PC though.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu May 25, 2017 4:23 pm

I use a Tablo for the receiver side of things and a combination of Amazon FireTV and Roku's for the TV side device.

--SS

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu May 25, 2017 4:39 pm

Great, thanks for the ideas guys. I'll run with something and try to report back with how things work.

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite

Thu May 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Hdhomerun is great. I have an OTA and CC version. PLEX is nice, and we use it, but any Linux or android box you hook up to it can install the HD homerun app or use Kodi with the plugin. That way you don't need another server.

notinuse
Gerbil

Thu May 25, 2017 5:53 pm

The HDHomerun can work with DLNA devices. If your TV supports DLNA, you can control changing channels on the HDHomerun directly from the TV.

dashbarron
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri May 26, 2017 12:54 pm

notinuse wrote:
The HDHomerun can work with DLNA devices. If your TV supports DLNA, you can control changing channels on the HDHomerun directly from the TV.

This is what I needed to know!