Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

credible
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Seasonic Pulls the Plug on Review Samples - Retail Direct for Reviews

Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:36 pm

Curious what folks think of this and even if it happens are we to really know for sure that some deal had not been worked out with a place like Newegg for instance...I would hope not.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/06/16/seasonic_pulls_plug_on_review_samples_retail_direct_for_reviews

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Seasonic Pulls the Plug on Review Samples - Retail Direct for Reviews

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:10 pm

I think it's cool. It's how everything should be. There HAVE been examples of "golden samples" in other areas in the past - Asus and MSI both got caught shipping graphics cards to reviewers in OC mode by default, for example. If they're just sending a chunk of PSUs to Newegg and then having Newegg ship them to reviewers, then that's going to be hard to make an "agreement" on.

It's also probably cheaper, since Newegg ships to end users (not End User) in volume.

Lastly, it's not that they're "pulling the plug" - that makes it sound like they're not shipping review units at all. Thread headline is misleading.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Village
Gerbil

Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:24 pm

This is how all reviews should be conducted.

KingLear
Gerbil

Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:10 am

I worked for a company that would "cherry pick" the best units to be sent out for review. Reviews should be done the Consumer Reports way which is to obtain the samples from the same channels that the public would use.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:34 am

KingLear wrote:
I worked for a company that would "cherry pick" the best units to be sent out for review. Reviews should be done the Consumer Reports way which is to obtain the samples from the same channels that the public would use.

That's the implication here, with the added benefit of not making sites pay for them since giving review units is standard.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:38 am

Sometimes it's not the actual reviews that count,the no of times I've come across comments like-
Low ripple,but not as good as Seasonic.
Voltage regulation is excellent,almost as good as Seasonic.
Soldering quality is good,but it's no Seasonic.

When you read a lot of reviews on different sites you see a pattern emerging- Seasonic are what
others are measured by.................................

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 am

That's good to hear. I forget who else, some other PC tech companies had been doing this for awhile now. Should be the standard practice where at all possible.