Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Computer starts for 3-5 seconds, resets, stays on but does nothing.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:11 am

HERETIC wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Back in the day, it was also possible to get the power connector onto the floppy drive offset by 1 pin. Most drives were keyed to prevent this, but the connector was flexible enough that you could still push it on. I melted the insulation off the floppy power leads of a PSU once, by doing this.

Don't have to go back that far in time either-most PCI-SATA add in cards used floppy power connector.
My son did exactly the same thing.........
Was surprised PSU-SC didn't activate................

Ahh, now that you mention, IIRC I've seen USB add-in cards with that arrangement. I don't recall seeing it on SATA cards though.

At lower voltages a short can be hard to distinguish from a heavy load, especially with thinner gauge wire. Wire can have enough resistance that the PSU doesn't see it as a dead short. Or the PSU's protection simply sucked.

Kougar wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Fortunately I didn't destroy anything the time I did this. Symptoms were very similar to the OP. :wink:

My understanding was it became such a problem that mainboard makers began adding voltage sense protection to EPS12V connectors as to either not power on or initialize the board when that happened.

Could be. I imagine they could probe the EPS12V rail using a circuit powered off of the 5VSB rail, to decide if it is grounded out before telling the PSU to switch on the other rails.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Rageypoo
Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Computer starts for 3-5 seconds, resets, stays on but does nothing.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:17 pm

I sent in the board with my cpu and ram, so I'll be sure to get back a working unit. No more guess work =)