Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

LutherMick
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Paper Shredder

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:58 am

hi
well might be this question will be off your less interest but i really gave value to your words, actually i want to know about paper shredders. Will any of you suggest me a paper shredder with solid hard body i have to use it in rough environment.
Thank you

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Paper Shredder

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:49 pm

You're going to need to specify a price range. Anything from $0 to about $200 is lower end targeted at SOHO users, and the actual shredding mechanism varies mainly by the number of concurrent sheets. As a rule of thumb, if you buy, say, a 20-sheet shredder and typically run 5-10 sheet stacks through it, it will have an easier life than a 10-sheet shredder receiving that same load. The other important thing to verify is that it performs crosscut shredding, but most do these days.

If you have yourself a business environment that deals with a lot of sensitive data, you might save yourself some trouble and rent locking disposal cabinets from a commercial document management company such as Iron Mountain.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 pm

I'll give you this advice. Spend the most your budget allows, and try to consider the following features, the the most important things first:

*Ability to shred credit card, optical discs, staples and large paper clips.
(This usually comes with the ability to handle more pages at once and is less prone to jam - jamming sucks))

*Cut type:
At a high level, there are three types of shredders:
Strip-Cut: Cuts the paper into strips. Pretty much useless. ...
Cross-Cut: Chops up the paper into little bits. This is the type of shredder a lot of people use at home..
Micro-Cut: Turns the paper into confetti. You're not putting that document back together.

*If you shred a lot, get one the can go for a while before shutting off to cool down.

*If you shred a lot, try to get one with a bin larger then 6 gallons or you will have to stop and empty it often.

*If you move it around, get one on wheels.

Things I read when I started shopping for mine.

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2456371,00.asp

https://www.omnicoreagency.com/best-paper-shredders/

https://www.nsa.gov/resources/everyone/ ... y-2015.pdf

Delta9
Gerbil

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:29 pm

One other suggestion, if the device is going to be used often or in a harsh environment be sure to pick up some shredder oil. Yes its real, and yes it will extend the life of the device significantly.