Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Normally Closed (NC) switches

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:49 pm

Yeah, I'm getting arcane with this one.

The inside station of my garage door opener has a complete spaz-out every time I lose power (welcome to VT and pole-seeking drunken pickup drivers). The solution so far is to unscrew the station from the wall and disconnect one terminal wire so that the flea-bit chip in it reboots. I'd like to make this process much easier by incorporating a doorbell-style normally-closed switch in the low-voltage feed wire to the opener station so that a reboot means nothing more than me pushing the reboot switch for 10 seconds or so.

Doorbell switch you say? Six for the buck at Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards. They're all normally open and only make contact when pressed. I need one that is normally closed and breaks contact when pressed.

I've been to DigiKey and other such outlets and all I've found is industrial stuff that far exceeds my needs, the available space, and sanity.

Does anyone here know of a doorbell button that is a normally-closed switch?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

blahsaysblah
Gerbil Elite

Re: Normally Closed (NC) switches

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:00 pm

Why not a simple old style single pole light switch. That's less than a $1 from HD. And than you get option to have it off if you ever want to.

But you seem to be looking for those closet/cabinet switches.

Leviton 1865 3 Amp, 125 Volt, Single-Pole, Doorjamb with Jamb Box Switch, Single Circuit Momentary, Normally ON, Commercial Grade, Brass

search for momentary.

videobits
Gerbil

Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm guessing you want the simplicity of a surface mounted switch since your reference a doorbell switch.

Challenge accepted....I was interested in what I might find. How about this?
https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Exit-S ... ary+switch

Dirt cheap if you can wait for the free shipping.

Another thought: If this is a 3-6 times per year event, maybe you could just insert a quick disconnect terminal inline on some exposed wire. You would have to yank it apart and reinsert but no tool would be needed and dirt cheap if you have a crimp tool already.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FK9X26?ta ... pcomp&th=1

If you ever get a new opener and have a torsion spring already....grab a Liftmaster 8500. Works great and no messing around with rails, chains and hanging mounts. A much cleaner install and quiet to boot.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:27 pm

How about this:

https://www.alliedelec.com/te-connectiv ... eEEALw_wcB

Just need a 1/4" drill bit to make the mounting hole.
Last edited by ludi on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:28 pm

If you want something that can easily be mounted on the wall, how about a magnetic switch like the ones used for window alarms? Use the NC contacts and set the magnet piece on top of the switch piece for a few seconds to interrupt the power and reboot the opener.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Switch- ... 0735BP1K4/
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:29 pm

If you're going low voltage wouldn't a simple toggle switch that you can pickup in the automotive section at Walmart work?
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:33 pm

I think he's looking for something he can easily flush-mount to the wall.

Or if there's room in the unit's housing, he could mod it with a small through-mount one like ludi linked.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Topic Author

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:31 am

Never thought about the mag switch, but that's perfect and I can easily grab one at the Lowe's around the corner. Thanks.

And yes, flush-mount on the plywood garage wall was my goal.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:11 am

As a bonus, the mag switches even have screw terminals. All you'll need is a wire stripper and screwdriver, no soldering required.