Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: My first Notebook, how to care for it.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 am

just brew it! wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
NICE-But where spinning rust is involved USB3 or SATA will be bottlenecked to around 100MBsec............

3.5" HDDs are quite a bit faster than that these days. Not sure about 2.5" HDDs (haven't benched one lately), but they're probably faster than that too, especially the higher density ones.

The 2TB Seagate hybrid drive in my laptop seems to max out around 60MB/sec for big files, unless it's hitting the flash cache. It could just be where the files I'm copying to my SSD are on the drive and maybe it's faster, but man...
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am

just brew it! wrote:
HERETIC wrote:
NICE-But where spinning rust is involved USB3 or SATA will be bottlenecked to around 100MBsec............

3.5" HDDs are quite a bit faster than that these days. Not sure about 2.5" HDDs (haven't benched one lately), but they're probably faster than that too, especially the higher density ones.

Well aware of that-but we were discussing a enclosure that accepts 2.5"drives-and my 100MB was just a ballpark no in ref to SATA being no faster than USB3,when spinning rust is used.............
My best 3.5" does around 200 on outside of platter tapering down to around 100 on inside.
If I had to guess I'd say 2.5"-120 down to 60.................

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:32 am

OK I haven't burned a DVD yet so that's another thing to do. And the 14" screen is 1366x768 which is good enough for me. And the WiFi sees several networks so I know that works. Manjaro Linux installed just fine with no problems.

I know I said this before, but this notebook looks and feel brand new, so I'm wondering if they found a large inventory of unsold T430 thinkpads and just put new batteries in and updated to Windows 10?

Veerappan
Gerbil

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:17 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Chrispy_ wrote:
Lithium batteries wear out faster when they're flat. Keep them topped up when possible and if you can, avoid running them all the way down to zero.

I've heard conflicting advice about this. Everyone seems to agree (and my experience confirms) that leaving them sit in a discharged state for extended periods of time will definitely wreck them. However, I've also seen a lot of sites claim that they are least stressed when they are at around 40-50%. I'm not obsessive about topping up. E.g. if I know I've still got around 50% charge and only need it to last through my morning commute, I might not bother getting it out of the backpack and charging it the night before; I just wait and plug it in when I get to the office.

For thinkpads, check out 'tlp'. It's a thinkpad-oriented power-management daemon. It also allows setting thresholds for the battery charging circuitry. E.g. If you leave the laptop docked, start charging when the battery falls below 75%, but stop charging at 90% once you've hit diminishing returns on the charging curve (which correlates to increased wear on the battery in this case).

tlp also handles power management of the sata links, lan/wifi/wan connections, audio controller, usb ports, etc. I've been using it for a few years on a t440p and it's something that I set up once, and haven't touched since.

whm1974
Emperor Gerbilius I
Topic Author

Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:11 am

OK I updated the BIOS/UEFI last night without bricking the notebook and thank you guys for advising me to get a refurbished laptop instead of the Alpha Litebook I was looking at. Even with spending some money later to upgrade this with more memory and an SSD, I still get a much better notebook.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:04 am

whm1974 wrote:
OK I haven't burned a DVD yet so that's another thing to do. And the 14" screen is 1366x768 which is good enough for me. And the WiFi sees several networks so I know that works. Manjaro Linux installed just fine with no problems.

I know I said this before, but this notebook looks and feel brand new, so I'm wondering if they found a large inventory of unsold T430 thinkpads and just put new batteries in and updated to Windows 10?

Was probably returned for repair during warranty period,and has had little use.
Have you checked SMART info on spinning rust??????????
That should tell you how much use it's had.Unless HD was replaced.