Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

DragonDaddyBear
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Home Server Upgrades

Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:22 pm

OK, so I should have asked before I went and bought a bunch of stuff.

I needed more RAM for a VM pen-test lab I'm whipping up for work. I figured I'm taking down the network so why not go all out and avoid the need to shutdown the server again. So I bought a pair of L5640's to upgrade my quad-core L CPU's in there now, a Mellanox 10Gbe NIC, and 24GB more RAM. Other than if one thing is bad I won't know what broke it, is there any issue if toss this into my ESXi box?

I also have a Cisco 3570-E waiting for my upgrade, too. I won't know if it works until the server NIC is working and I have compatible GBIC's and media.

curtisb
Gerbil XP

Re: Home Server Upgrades

Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:15 pm

I would install each upgrade one at a time and let it go through a full boot between each component. That would at least give you some idea if one particular upgrade might not be working. I know that's a pain with server hardware since they take forever to boot, but it could save you time in the long run with troubleshooting.
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO | Intel Core i7-6700 | Zotac GTX 1080 8GB Mini | 2 x Corsair LPX 8GB | WD SN750 Black 500GB | 2 x Crucial MX200 500GB | 2 x WD RED Pro 4TB | Phanteks Eclipse | Seasonic X-850 | 2 x Samsung U28E590