Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

bitcat70
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Power brick replacement

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi!
I'm looking for a 6 - 9 volt power brick replacement that apparently was damaged due to a power issue. It also damaged the device it was powering. Are there power bricks or power supplies that would protect the device they are powering from damage due to surges and such? Or would it be better to get a line conditioner?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Power brick replacement

Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Jameco and Digi-Key are my go-to sites for stuff like that.

I wouldn't trust a power brick to provide protection. If you get a lot of power surges, put a decent surge protector or line conditioner upstream of the brick.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bitcat70
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:10 pm

I'll check those out for protection devices. As far as the power brick the replacement does not have to be one as long as it provides the correct voltage. I was thinking of maybe a power supply with built in protections. But maybe nobody makes those as that may not be a function of the power supply.

Thanks!

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:12 pm

bitcat70 wrote:
I'll check those out for protection devices. As far as the power brick the replacement does not have to be one as long as it provides the correct voltage. I was thinking of maybe a power supply with built in protections. But maybe nobody makes those as that may not be a function of the power supply.

I was recommending them for the replacement power brick, but they may have protection devices as well.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bitcat70
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:28 pm

Noted.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:09 am

As far as I know most power bricks have no surge protection. I've had good luck with 500 joule surge protected power strips from Walmart for less than ten dollars for a two pack.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"