Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

More Tech Fake News (Vega is NOT in Intel)

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:30 am

So of course we live in an age where juicy rumors that aren't necessarily supported by any real facts tend to fly around the Interwebs at seemingly faster-than-light speeds. That seems to go double if the dubious rumor reinforces somebody's narrative.

Just one case in point is the seemingly endless OMG AMD GRAPHICS IN INTEL PROCESSORS rumor that had seemingly been shot down when Intel went out of its way to officially deny it earlier this year.

However, sometimes the narrative is just too good to be ignored simply because there aren't any of those pesky "facts" that support it. So what do you do for clicks? You fabricate "evidence" for the great conspiracy theory based on intentionally misleading information.

Like, I dunno, a purported Intel poster that says "OMG VEGA INSIDE!!" [Edit: Props to the original source for at least updating their story after it was debunked. Certain other websites *cough* Tweakertown and Wcrapcftech *cough* can't be bothered to do that]
Sure it's incredibly blurry and doesn't show the whole poster. But it might not be a photoshop special. Intel might have actually said the words "Vega Inside"!! OMG This must mean Vega GPUs right?!?!?

Yeah. Or not. Maybe, just maybe, it means a guy named Vega (you can actually see him on the poster) is getting some appreciation at an Intel employee appreciation event. You know, like this one where plenty of people are named as being "inside" Intel with clear photographs that actually provide context for what the posters mean.

But here's the problem: The completely fake and easily disprovable rumor will live on much longer than the actual fact-based story that doesn't fit the narrative.
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

NTMBK
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: More Tech Fake News (Vega is NOT in Intel)

Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:41 am

I can't believe that this rumour is still going. It just fundamentally doesn't make sense. Why would AMD start putting their graphics in Intel parts now, when they finally have a competitive CPU architecture again? They would ruin Raven Ridge's major advantage, and handing a bunch of sales to Intel. I could have seen them doing it a few years ago during the Bulldozer fiasco, when they were seriously strapped for cash and had no competitive mobile CPUs, but now? Really?

The Egg
Gold subscriber
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:00 am

That people believe fake news isn't news. You can utterly and irrefutably debunk something, and there will still be a percentage of people who like to chew on rocks.

derFunkenstein
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:00 am

The Egg wrote:
You can utterly and irrefutably derFunk something

I just really want my name to be a verb.

edit: Ryan Shrout IS chuckula CONFIRMED
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

chuckula
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:55 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
The Egg wrote:
You can utterly and irrefutably derFunk something

I just really want my name to be a verb.

edit: Ryan Shrout IS chuckula CONFIRMED

Don't insult Ryan Shrout like that!
4770K @ 4.7 GHz; 32GB DDR3-2133; GTX-1080; 512GB 840 Pro (2x); Fractal Define XL-R2; NZXT Kraken-X60
--Many thanks to the TR Forum for advice in getting it built.

Mr Bill
Gold subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:50 pm

I was sure this thread would veer into R&P but so far so good. :D
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | WinXP64 Pro