Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Anybody recycle old LCD monitors?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:42 pm

I have two Hanns-G 19" LCD monitors that went bad about the same time. I know...these were cheapo specials and I got them for my kids. They performed well enough for a few years and then both started flickering. Looked up the issue and it seems to be the capacitors going bad/bulging over time. Amazon sells capacitor repair kits for these but it is capacitors only and it requires soldering. I would replace the circuit board if possible however I don't have the tools or time to do any soldering work. I'll donate these to anyone or place that can recycle/repair these.
If interested the models are JW197D and HW194D. If no takers I'll turn them over to a local e-waste center.
Thanks
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Anybody recycle old LCD monitors?

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:49 pm

Unfortunately they're not worth shipping at this point, so unless a TR regular in your area wants to pick them up, they're junk. You might be able to move them locally if you advertise them on Craigslist with a similar description as you gave here.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Mr Bill
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:57 pm

I've wondered the same thing about my two Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 19"
SuperScan Elite(TM) 751 19" color monitor features a Super-FST flat square CRT with .22mm horizontal & .14mm vertical dot pitch. Offering true 1600 x 1200 maximum resolution with up to 160Hz refresh rate, it features Invar Shadow Mask; anti-glare & anti-static coating; built-in microprocessor; EasyMenu(TM) on-screen, moire & true-color RGB controls; right-side pincushion & trapezoid adjustments; & low emmisions. Win(95) plug & play. 17.6"Wx 17.9"Hx 18.1"D. 3-yr LMW. UL.
X6 1100T BE | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ | XFX HD 7870 | 16 GB DDR3 | Samsung 830/850 Pro SSD's | Logitech cherry MX-brown G710+ | Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex mouse | SeaSonic SS-660XP 80+ Pt | BenQ 24' 1900x1200 IPS | APC Back-UPS NS-1350 | Win7 Pro

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:12 pm

Perfect victims on which to learn how to solder. Plenty of cheap kits including solder-suckers on Amazon (hint, avoid silver solder, go with the 63/37 eutectic). If the fix works, turn 'em into recipe displays in the kitchen or some other thankless task like security cam monitor.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:28 pm

Mr Bill wrote:
I've wondered the same thing about my two Hitachi SuperScan Elite 751 19"

I've been wanting a nice shadowmask 19" CRT ever since mine started acting up
But I never attempted a fix due to the high voltages inside CRTs and their trickier power supplies.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:20 pm

They're e-waste now, unless you use them for soldering practice.

People wanting old LCDs for side projects can browse ebay/craigslist and pick one up locally for nothing. People would rather give them away for free than make the trip to the recycling center themselves, and every week dozens of fully working LCDs go unsold at $10 with zero bids.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

G8torbyte
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:00 am

All, thanks for the feedback. Yeah these are so cheap now these days it is not worth the hassle. There's a recycle/recovery center not far from me so that's where these will go.
Seems not long ago these 19" LCDs were the cutting edge and 10 times the cost.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs & gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991, Lurkin' around TR since 2004.
Current setups: Z390 Platform and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Perfect victims on which to learn how to solder.

Seconded. Why not practice on these to see if you can resurrect them? That way you'll be ready if you ever need to repair something more valuable. I'll even send you the capacitors gratis if the ones in need of replacing happen to be ones I've already got on hand (I have a small assortment of the more commonly used types of low-ESR electrolytics, which I purchased back at the height of the "capacitor plague" to repair motherboards and GPUs).

meerkt wrote:
I've been wanting a nice shadowmask 19" CRT ever since mine started acting up
But I never attempted a fix due to the high voltages inside CRTs and their trickier power supplies.

I repaired an old Gateway CRT back in the day. Everything would randomly turn green, and it would go back to normal for a few days if you gave it a good sharp whack. The required frequency of whacking eventually got high enough (multiple times/day) that it was either fix it or replace it. Opened it up, and started tapping on the PCB (with a non-conductive object) to see where it was sensitive. Narrowed it down to an area of a few square inches, reflowed all of the solder joints in that area, and it was fine after that.

Yes, you need to be careful around the high voltage circuits!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:37 pm

G8torbyte wrote:
All, thanks for the feedback. Yeah these are so cheap now these days it is not worth the hassle. There's a recycle/recovery center not far from me so that's where these will go.

Yeah, I am with you on that. I still find it amazing how much prices on them have fallen. Any Goodwill with a comp department will have a shelf full of thin LED LCD panels for $10-$20 bucks that are checked to be blemish free with no bad pixels. I snagged one for a workstation display just because I got tired of carting around a thick, heavy CCFL 2407 to plug it into things.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:51 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Opened it up, and started tapping on the PCB (with a non-conductive object) to see where it was sensitive. Narrowed it down to an area of a few square inches, reflowed all of the solder joints in that area, and it was fine after that.

I suspect my CRT needs capacitor replacement. It wouldn't turn on sometimes, or would spontaneously turn off and stay off.
It wasn't a good CRT by any stretch of imagination, but I prefer it to the Trinitron that replaced it (and which also misbehaves, in other ways).
Last edited by meerkt on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:53 pm

When percussive maintenance no longer works, it's time to bust out the soldering iron.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

strangerguy
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:29 am

Kougar wrote:
G8torbyte wrote:

Yeah, I am with you on that. I still find it amazing how much prices on them have fallen. Any Goodwill with a comp department will have a shelf full of thin LED LCD panels for $10-$20 bucks that are checked to be blemish free with no bad pixels. I snagged one for a workstation display just because I got tired of carting around a thick, heavy CCFL 2407 to plug it into things.

A 32" LED-LCD TV now starts at $130. Budget LCDs of the same size in 2006 were going for ~$1000, and that is before Inflation. Hell, I can already buy unlocked cell phones that are cheaper than wireless POTS ones for years now.

I really have no idea how anybody makes any real profit selling those things.

EDIT: flipped through a May 2000 Maximum PC...Jesus christ a Samsung 17" 1280x1024 LCD was $2600?!
8700K 4.3GHz @ 1.05V | Cryorig H7 | MSI Z370M AC | 32GB Corsair LPX DDR4-3200 | GTX 1070 @ 0.8V | 500GB Evo 850 | 1TB M550 | 3TB Toshiba | Seasonic G650 | Acer XB271HU

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:42 am

strangerguy wrote:
I really have no idea how anybody makes any real profit selling those things.

The large R&D costs were recovered by selling a high-end product a couple years ago or five. Now they're just running the production lines at marginal cost and making a couple bucks on each sale.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration