Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

gigafinger
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Re: What is your sound set up?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:50 am

Speakers: Audioengine A2+

Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim with Balanced DAC powering Sennheiser HD650 headphones with balanced cable

I'm a big fan of the Jotun. I think it's one of the best desktop amplifiers for the money right now.

G8torbyte
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:55 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
My previous gaming PC (micro-ATX) included a Sound Blaster Zx. My current gaming PC (mini-ITX) has no available PCIe slot, so I'm using the Realtek ALC1150 integrated into the GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 to drive my old Logitech Z-640 5.1-channel speakers. I plug in my ancient Sennheiser HD430 headphones for late nights or early mornings when I don't want to disturb others.

Using the same Zx card with some older Logitech X-540's. It's been good but all the discussions on USB external options has me wanting to try a different system using a smallish desktop size DAC-Amp to passive speakers with good headphone-out, Bluetooth, optical input etc. I noted some options I'm considering here on this similar thread.
I currently use headphones with 40mm neodymium drivers which are good on bass but I get just a bit of crackle on low treble that bugs me. I'm looking at some different sets and will probably get a set of semi-open cups (sound stage effect) and a nice closed set for isolated listening.
Later, -G8tor
Building PCs and gaming since"Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" 1991
Current setups: X99 Command/Control Station and DIY mini-ITX NAS Build

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:21 am

gigafinger wrote:

Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim with Balanced DAC powering Sennheiser HD650 headphones with balanced cable

I'm a big fan of the Jotun. I think it's one of the best desktop amplifiers for the money right now.

Man, I've been meaning to get my Schiit on, and that Jotun would have been perfect- picked up a pair of JBS LSR305 in white to go with my Cryorig Taku, but wound up grabbing a Topping DX7 off of Massdrop for US$319. Same basic idea I guess, and I could try out my HD600 and others with balanced cables at some point as well.

How do you like the pair?
Canon 6D|24-105/4L |70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|50/1.4 USM|50/2.5 CM|50/1.8 STM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8|24/2.8 IS|Sigma 150-600 | C
Canon EOS-M|11-22 IS|22/2|EF-M 18-55

DancinJack
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Man, I've been meaning to get my Schiit on, and that Jotun would have been perfect- picked up a pair of JBS LSR305 in white to go with my Cryorig Taku, but wound up grabbing a Topping DX7 off of Massdrop for US$319. Same basic idea I guess, and I could try out my HD600 and others with balanced cables at some point as well.

FWIW, I have a Jotunheim pre-outing to Audioengine A5+s and analog out to Senn 598s and it's wonderful. (I have the same balanced DAC version of the Jotunheim) The versatility is awesome. Two gain settings (for instance, for a set of HD 600s), XLR balanced in and out, preamp outs, unbalanced headphone out, and an input selector. It's great. And the volume pot feels oh so good. It's not huge either. ABOUT the size of "fancy" paperback book (with a lot of pages heh). mmmmmm

i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

naql
Gerbil

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:06 am

For speakers just some cheap Logitechs.

Headphones:
Schiit Bifrost Multibit
Schiit Valhalla 2 amp
Beyerdynamic T90s

LostCat
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 am

Currently? A Pioneer VSX-LX101 with the speakers from an HT-s5800 set. (The Onkyo receiver didn't like my PS4 Pro or my TV when used with it or something. I don't know. Happily, the Pioneer receivers Auto Surround is much nicer to use than the Onkyo requiring you to set new audio processing all the time.)

But since I'm no longer focusing on PC gaming and my PC has been **** as far as Dolby Atmos support I'm changing it around. Probably a 2.1 setup from here out but only after I actually figure out what I want to use for it.
Meow.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:58 am

naql wrote:
For speakers just some cheap Logitechs.

Headphones:
Schiit Bifrost Multibit
Schiit Valhalla 2 amp
Beyerdynamic T90s

I'm curious, why do you have a decent headphone stack, but ignore the speakers? For a quarter the price of any single item in your headphone stack you could get yourself some half-decent monitors and end your own suffering. :P
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:22 am

Maybe he just prefers headphones, or his system is in an area where frequent use of the speakers would disturb others.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FireGryphon
Gold subscriber
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:26 am

My setup is objectively pathetic. I have an old pair of iPhone earbuds hooked up to the front panel headphone jack on my case, run through built in audio. Aside from no audio at all, I can’t imagine a much worse setup.

The reason for all that is that my computer room is too close to bedrooms, so I wouldn’t be able to listen loudly anyway. Instead I’m saving up to build a good living room audio system, with an above average set of speakers and a great receiver that can accept all kinds of inputs including WiFi. That’s quite expensive, and I’m not here yet.

Until then, it’s onboard audio and iPhone earbuds for me!
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:57 am

Oh, you can get closed cans for isolation- and you can spend on them too, but a set of Beyerdynamic DT770 32Ω cans at the top end would seriously upgrade your experience without annoying surrounding occupants, and they can be driven by just about anything, including onboard.
Canon 6D|24-105/4L |70-300/4-5.6 IS USM|50/1.4 USM|50/2.5 CM|50/1.8 STM|85/1.8 USM|Samyang/Bower 14/2.8|24/2.8 IS|Sigma 150-600 | C
Canon EOS-M|11-22 IS|22/2|EF-M 18-55

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:10 am

FireGryphon wrote:
My setup is objectively pathetic. I have an old pair of iPhone earbuds hooked up to the front panel headphone jack on my case, run through built in audio. Aside from no audio at all, I can’t imagine a much worse setup.

The reason for all that is that my computer room is too close to bedrooms, so I wouldn’t be able to listen loudly anyway. Instead I’m saving up to build a good living room audio system, with an above average set of speakers and a great receiver that can accept all kinds of inputs including WiFi. That’s quite expensive, and I’m not here yet.

Until then, it’s onboard audio and iPhone earbuds for me!

You can get some pretty decent sounding headphones for not a lot of money. That seems like it would be a reasonable stopgap measure.

You don't even need to spend $165 like Airmantharp recommended; you can get something quite reasonable for under $100.

I suppose the potential downside is, if your onboard or front panel jack wiring has issues with noise pickup, a decent set of headphones will make that more apparent...
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

naql
Gerbil

Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:15 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Maybe he just prefers headphones, or his system is in an area where frequent use of the speakers would disturb others.

Pretty much this. I don't have a lot of room and my apartment walls are paper thin.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:59 pm

DancinJack wrote:

FWIW, I have a Jotunheim pre-outing to Audioengine A5+s and analog out to Senn 598s and it's wonderful. (I have the same balanced DAC version of the Jotunheim) The versatility is awesome. Two gain settings (for instance, for a set of HD 600s), XLR balanced in and out, preamp outs, unbalanced headphone out, and an input selector. It's great. And the volume pot feels oh so good. It's not huge either. ABOUT the size of "fancy" paperback book (with a lot of pages heh). mmmmmm

..it "sounds" as if you've really got your Schiit together. :P

Village
Gerbil

Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:20 pm

2.0, Hercules XPS DJ 60 w/ onboard sound.

I regret nothing.

gigafinger
Gold subscriber
Gerbil

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 am

Airmantharp wrote:
gigafinger wrote:

Sorry, I missed this. I find the Senn-Jotun combo to be excellent. I think Schiit hit the desktop-headphone-amp-dac nail on the head. Very clear and powerful. Bass is impactful and accurate. I also feel the balanced cable did improve the sound quality. It's not cheap, but I feel you are getting more than you pay for with the Jotun.

Edit: To those on a tight budget, look for something like the Optomo/NuForce uDAC3 to pair with your preferred 'phones. Just a little extra power and a clean DAC will make even basic ear buds shine. I have an older pair of NuForce NE-700 with foam tips that sound very nice with this DAC (my work desk setup).

arunphilip
Gold subscriber
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:09 pm

Nothing fancy at my end - a 2.1 speaker setup (Bose Companion 50) driven off the motherboard's Realtek. I've been toying with the idea of getting a USB DAC, but haven't taken the plunge yet.
The sound chip's drivers comes with Maxx Volume Pro software which turns on some audio processing that just ends up muddying sounds a bit (it increases volume and makes the sound richer, but at the expense of crispness and distinction of musical instruments. Disabling all enhancements has made listening to music much better.

For communications, I use a Sennheiser PC8 USB headset.

Koli
Gerbil In Training

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:28 am

I'm using a Pro-Ject DAC Box S USB with optical from the onboard, a Little Dot MKII tube headphone/pre-amp (which has Russian 6N6P-Is and Mullard EF95s inserted at this moment) and a pair of Edifier R1800TIII speakers. When it comes to headphones, it just depends on what I fancy in terms of sound - Sennheiser HD600, Beyerdynamic DT990, AKG K612 Pro - etc. Music doesn't come from my PC though, but this thread is just related to PC audio so I'll stick to that. :P

I do have a bunch of other DACs and headphone amps, but I prefer this set up the most. I use optical and not USB because the Little Dot uses earth, so having any electrical connection to my PC through audio causes ground loop.