Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Porcelina
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Laptop display goes gray after waking up

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 am

Hi!
I'm really hoping someone can help me.
Since this newest update of windows 10, when my laptop goes to sleep and I wake it up, it does this fun gray and white vertical striped screen. It flashes that, followed by long pauses of a black screen. During the striped screen I can see that my cursor is moving and is displayed as a light gray box.

I have a video of what it's doing, but I'm not allowed to post links.

This is what I have tried:
I have run the troubleshooting of power, which said "No changes or updates were necessary."
I have run the troubleshooting of hardware and devices, which said "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem."
I have update my Nvidia Geforce driver through Geforce
I have found out that Alt+F8 does not boot in safe mode

Thank you in advance!! <3

And because I'm not sure what is needed, and I am desperate, these are my computer specs:

X64 Windows 10
Cyber Weekend FANGBOOK 4 SX6 VR
*BASE_PRICE: [+1199]
ADAPTER: 180W adaptor
BAGS: None
BATTERY: 6-Cell Li-Ion Battery
BLUETOOTH: Built-in Bluetooth
CABLE: None
CD: 8X Ultra Slim DVDRW Internal Drive (CD-140-104)
CPU: Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz Turbo 3.5GHz 6MB Cache Processor
DOCKINGSTATION: None
FLASHMEDIA: Built-In SD (XC/HC)
HD_M2SSD: 512GB Intel® SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 1800MB/s Read & 560MB/s Write (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: None
KEYBOARD: Built-in Programmable Full Color Backlight Keyboard
MEMORY: 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4/2133MHz SODIMM Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)
MONITOR: None
MOPAD: None
MOTHERBOARD: Mobile Intel HM170 Express Chipset Mainboard
MOUSE: BUILT-IN TOUCHPAD
NETWORK: Killer Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 (Built-in)
NOTEBOOK: 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-Glare Display LCD w/ Programmable Full Color Keyboard, HDMI 1.4, mini display Port 1.2, Li-Ion Battery & Universal AC Adapter
NOTEBOOK_COVER: FANGBOOK 4 SX6 5000 Cover
RUSH: Standard Process Time: Ship within 7 to 12 Business Day
SECURITY: None
SERVICE: STANDARD 1-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY AND LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: Sound by Dynaudior Support 7.1 channel SPDIF output
SPEAKERS: Built-in 4x 2W speakers + 1x 3W woofer
USB: Built-in 2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0, 1x Type-C USB 3.1
USBHD: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB PCIe (Pascal)[VR Ready] (NB-FANG-280)
VIDEOCAMERA1: Built-in HD 30FPS Webcam [+0]
WNC: Intel 3165 Stone Peak 1 (1x1)+BT4.0 M.2 type
WTV: None
_PRICE: (+1199)
_view_: {455A1773-9F7F-4551-8755-1480F7449B58}
_load_: 11/26/2016 12:56:11 PM

Bellem
Gerbil In Training

Re: Laptop display goes gray after waking up

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:47 am

I saw a similar problem a few years ago and the problem was a bad LVDS cable (the cable inside your laptop that connects the video chip to the screen). In fact, in my experience the problem wasn't a suspend/resume issue but simply closing and opening the lid was putting some bending stress on the cable (which is probably what you're doing when you put your laptop to sleep). I suggest you connect an external monitor to your laptop and try putting your laptop to sleep via the Start menu and then waking it up via the power button or keyboard. If the external monitor video looks good then we know you don't have a software problem, but a hardware problem (probably a bad or loose LVDS cable). If the cable is bad then you'll want to have it replaced under warranty. Trying to obtain the correct cable (there's a gazillion different kinds) and replacing it yourself is major laptop surgery and not recommended.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:18 am

@Bellem -

If, as the OP indicates, it started happening after the latest Windows update and only happens when the laptop wakes up from sleep, that does not sound like a cable problem. It sounds like something in the Windows update is causing the display driver's power management to misbehave.

@Porcelina -

I suggest downloading and installing the latest display driver for the GTX 1060 from Nvidia's web site. Oh, I see you already tried that. When did you do that? It looks like a new version was just released yesterday.

You could try calling Cyber's tech support number. If this problem affects that model, they will have had other calls about the same issue and may have a fix or workaround.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Porcelina
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:11 pm

I updated it yesterday. I'll try it again today.

As for the opening, closing. I don't usually close my laptop unless it's off. This is when it's open, I come back to it and click the mouse. No touching the laptop required.
My friends have said some stuff about BIOS, but I was really hoping someone here might have a simple solution.
I'll try calling cyber's tech support.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. :)