Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Best wireless printer

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:28 am

I'm looking for something semi-industrial. I don't mind spending the coin if it's reliable. Ideally from a company that doesn't screw you with goofy toner configurations or other non-sense. I just want something that produces good quality images for documents, not so much worried about accurate color reproduction. Would like color capability but could probably live without it. A good PPM is among the requirements, and hopefully right along side longevity and toner availability and cost. Maybe a secondary factor is physical footprint. Smaller is better but I won't trade it for robustness of the unit. Thanks for the feedback in advance.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Best wireless printer

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:42 am

The answer used to be an HP small business laser, the old Laserjet 4si being a notorious tank of a printer (although from the days before wifi!). These days I'm not so sure about HP, but no matter which company I would tend to look at the small business offerings rather than the home stuff.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:43 am

I wouldn't call it an industrial printer, but I've been pleased with the Brother MFC-9340CDW multi-function unit that I have at home. I would definitely consider Brother's laser printer line like the HL-3170CDW.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:41 am

What price range are you aiming for? I've been happy with my Brother laser (this would be the current equivalent), though it doesn't really get put through its paces with me. Only minor quibble is that it only does 2.4ghz (I usually leave that band turned off in favor of 5ghz only), but being several years old now, I can't blame the unit. Also probably not an issue except for the 10 of us who shut off our 2.4ghz band.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Any of the Brother laser models mentioned. As an alternate, consider buying a non-WiFi network printer, connecting it to a network port on your router, and then accessing it through your regular WiFi connection. That removes the printer and its firmware as a potential security hole and/or source of radio contention, and you can still use it wirelessly. We picked up an HL-5100DN a couple years ago and have been quite happy. It is not color but it does offer duplex printing, and the replacement toner won't break the bank. We print both wired and wirelessly, using a mix of Win10, Android, and iOS clients.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Klickey
Gerbil

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:00 am

If I know your budget it might help a lot. Anyway, I suggest Brother HL2340DW or HP Officejet Pro 6960 (this is the one I'm using), roughly $80. They're quick and easy and even have a touchscreen!
Every once in a while, a new technology, an old problem, and a big idea turn into an innovation - Dean Kamen :D