Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Re: Is this safe way to secure mobo cpu socket pins? I sell mobo

Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:40 am

Actually a safer method would have been not to put anything on the mobo socket if you lost the plastic protector/cannot put it back in.
A toilet paper? 100 bucks that says pins are bent.

Darthutos
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:53 am

The reseller would probably not honor warranty after cpu protection plastic missing. They are nitpicky like that. A manufacturer like Asus tell you every excuse under the sun why they are reasonable in telling you they do not honor warranties. But good luck.

your best bet would be third party repair if the person buying your computer ends up telling you the pc you sold him doesn't work.

Please do not use the repair service of the guy who put toilet paper on cpu socket in the future.

Kougar
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:37 am

I'm not aware of a single motherboard manufacturer that would honor a warranty without the plastic protection cover. Any local PC shop that assembles computers probably has a box of these ya could buy one from if needed.

Darthutos wrote:
Please do not use the repair service of the guy who put toilet paper on cpu socket in the future.

Seconded. This is even more dangerous than not using anything at all. If the person buying the motherboard yanks on the paper they could easily damage pins and wreck the motherboard.

If I couldn't source a plastic cover locally I would remove the paper, verify the pins are okay, and ship without it inside the anti-ESD bag. You should take a couple photos of the CPU socket pins while you are at it.