Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

aleckermit
Gerbil
Topic Author

A good, cheap, wireless gaming keyboard?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:09 pm

I need one. One of my favorite keyboards of all time is a simple Dell or HP wired keyboard that came with school and city work computers. That but wireless would be great. Needs to be less than $35, and logitech brand preferably. Cheap ones like the K270 have bad reviews for gaming (due to input lag), and so does the squishy K850 (which I've tried hands-on and hated).

Need a cheap, raised key wireless keyboard that'll be ok for games (not highlycompetitive games) and HTPC use!
Last edited by aleckermit on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: A good, cheap, wireless gaming keyboard?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Good luck with that. I suspect "cheap", "wireless" and "good for gaming" is a null set. Though your stated preference for Logitech makes me wonder why you haven't just looked at Logitech's web site. Wireless will always add some lag, FWIW.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:19 pm

Honestly, you're going to need to raise your budget. $30 is just not enough for what you want. (obviously, this is in addition to the lag added by wireless which pretty much = not good for gaming depending on what you're playing. It's not a ton of lag, but it's unnecessary if you want something "good for gaming.")
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

aleckermit
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:34 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Honestly, you're going to need to raise your budget. $30 is just not enough for what you want. (obviously, this is in addition to the lag added by wireless which pretty much = not good for gaming depending on what you're playing. It's not a ton of lag, but it's unnecessary if you want something "good for gaming.")

What price range or keyboard would you recommend?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:14 pm

Look at the expensive ones first, then decide which of the cheap ones is close enough to work for you.
$124 Logitech G613
$110 Corsair K63 wireless
$160 Corsair K63 wireless with lapboard

I have to ask if you're sure that it has to be wireless or would an extra-long USB cable be appropriate?
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

aleckermit
Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:20 pm

The best solution seems to be to get an all in one HTPC wireless keyboard like the K400 Plus and then use a USB cable extended wired mouse and keyboard for gaming. These prices are too high for this wormself.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:11 pm

aleckermit wrote:
The best solution seems to be to get an all in one HTPC wireless keyboard like the K400 Plus and then use a USB cable extended wired mouse and keyboard for gaming. These prices are too high for this wormself.

Sounds like a plan to me. I have no objection to doing stuff "on the cheap" if it gets the job done!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:00 pm

aleckermit wrote:

I do this, albeit with a gamepad to supplement the K400, Steam Controller or Gamecube controller depending on what I'm playing.

tecgeek
Gerbil In Training

Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:32 pm

Razer Turret is a budget wireless gaming keyboard recommended by my friends. It is well designed. It has a very slim design body that I can put in my bag when I go to class. Battery life is long. But it has no backlight, which is a bit bad.
Last edited by tecgeek on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:41 pm

If you're looking for a real wireless GAMING keyboard, you're looking at a minimum of $100+. I have a Logitech G613 and I would say it's the best wireless keyboard I've ever tried (6 month battery life ftw). However, if you're looking into a cheap wireless keyboard - I've had good experiences with the Logitech Wireless Wave keyboard (however I'm not sure if it's still being sold separately, last time I checked it was being sold under the MK550 wireless combo w/ a mouse)

Perhaps you could look into the used market. Gaming keyboards are sold for cheap (saw an old G15 for $15)

whatsryancookin2002
Gerbil

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:47 am

qmacpoint wrote:
If you're looking for a real wireless GAMING keyboard, you're looking at a minimum of $100+. I have a Logitech G613 and I would say it's the best wireless keyboard I've ever tried (6 month battery life ftw). However, if you're looking into a cheap wireless keyboard - I've had good experiences with the Logitech Wireless Wave keyboard (however I'm not sure if it's still being sold separately, last time I checked it was being sold under the MK550 wireless combo w/ a mouse)

Perhaps you could look into the used market. Gaming keyboards are sold for cheap (saw an old G15 for $15)

I don't do much gaming but do a LOT of typing. Would you still recommend the G613 if I don't care much for the "gaming" features or programmable buttons?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:42 am

Every wireless keyboard I've ever experienced has failed the N-Key rollover requirements for gaming.

Latency is usually adequate for 60Hz when combined with television input lag, so lag isn't going to be your problem.

If you're not wanting this for sofa gaming, then just man up and use a USB cable on your desktop. Wireless just ain't worth it in that situation!

For sofa gaming, I use a Logitech MX wireless mouse (This is good, but any RF wireless gaming mouse would do) and a Microsoft Arc Keyboard (Also good, but discontinued. Try something like this which is cheap instead, or opt for a chinese rip-off of the Apple iMac keyboard)
Last edited by Chrispy_ on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 am

whatsryancookin2002 wrote:
I don't do much gaming but do a LOT of typing. Would you still recommend the G613 if I don't care much for the "gaming" features or programmable buttons?

I am indeed! It's really nice to type in it! I love it! It is very modest-looking compared to other gaming keyboards (NO RGB WOOOT!), has decent media controls (no volume dial, but volume buttons) and programmable macro buttons that I ended up using for Photoshop, Lightroom, Word and Excel. Supports Bluetooth too, and the battery is superb! still running their first batteries and still running strong! I have nothing but praise for this keyboard! I use it for both my desktop and my HTPC when I need to troubleshoot stuff in it! As for the N-keyrollover, I have not encountered any problems with it in Overwatch and Quake Champions, however I have not gone lengths of testing it thoroughly for that purpose.

The downside is that it's expensive (at 129 CAD). I don't think I'll get another daily driver keyboard (like the Kira, but I would get it for collecting purposes). Another potential downside is that it uses Logitech's custom Omron/Romer-G switches, those can throw off some people too. It is on the quiet side of mechanical switches, but it is not "quiet". I would recommend trying this keyboard at a store first before buying it!

PS: It seems that some batches were shipped with poor quality AA batteries that will make the keyboard glitch - if this happens, just get another pair of batteries, and that should resolve this problem.

Edit: Wxcel to Excel, heh
Last edited by qmacpoint on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

whatsryancookin2002
Gerbil

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:57 pm

qmacpoint wrote:
I am indeed! It's really nice to type in it! I love it! It is very modest-looking compared to other gaming keyboards (NO RGB WOOOT!),

Thank you!

I'm adding it to my wishlist based on your recommendation. I have a pretty basic wired mechanical keyboard with Long Hua blue switches. It's okay but I don't mind springing for something better.

Jolynn Cassani
Gerbil In Training

Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:50 am

Your budget is not enough. Better to increase your budget then I would recommend you Corsair K63. Don't compromise on quality.
Work hard, and never give up on your dreams.