Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

crowguts
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

laptop suggestions?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:10 pm

UPDATE 2: My father recommends I get the PowerSpec 1510. It's got an Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor, 2.80GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 16GB DDR4 RAM; 1TB HDD & 250GB SSD. My only real concern is there's next to no reviews on it, presumably because it's rather new. And it seems a little too good to be true.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: So it's come to my attention that I'm actually the biggest idiot on the planet and it never once crossed my mind that I could use an external webcam via USB connection. Shoot me. Anyway, I guess what I'm looking for now are still the same laptop requirements listed below (preferably a 256+ GB SSD, I don't know much beyond that). And I guess if there's any of you who know webcams well, I'd love suggestions for that as well. I use Google Hangouts to video call (can't stand Skype) and I assume most webcams would work with it but I always see them listed with Skype, so.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have an Acer E5-573T-57FZ laptop right now, and the video card is dying on me. If it gets bumped, or sometimes just at random, grey lines/individual pixels appear on the screen. You have to kinda whack the laptop to get it back to the regular screen. It's got a 1 TB HDD, no SSD. It also has an okay webcam quality.
Obviously I have to upgrade somewhat soon. I'm not tech-savvy by any means, but I think as general rule when you have to start beating your computer it's time to look for a new one.

The two things I'm really looking for in a new laptop are the ability to run games and acceptable to HD webcam quality.
And I'm searching for something preferably under 1500$.

As I said, I'd like to be able to play games and I know a SSD is far better for that. Hopefully newer games on medium-high settings (i.e. Outlast 1, Agony, GTA V, etc). I also video call with my girlfriend every night, and while she does move in with me in five months, I really don't want to have to go through five months of being one whole pixel on both her screen and mine due to poor webcam quality.

Again, not a computer nerd, but I do know from both looking at models in stores and by reading reviews that gaming laptops like to shove in whatever Victorian era camera they can get their hands on into their models so they're able to claim they have a webcam at all. System doesn't focus on it, people on gaming laptops don't generally care about camera quality, all that jazz.
As I said, my current webcam isn't HD, and I don't know how to check and see what quality it does have, but it's better than what I saw on the Acer Predator models and the ASUS models. Actually, it was even better than an HP Pavilion I looked at, and I thought they focused on graphics for video editing and all that. But maybe that's a different part of the system.

I bought an ASUS laptop (don't even remember the model) and returned it because on top of having horrible webcam quality (it was like I jumped straight outta Minecraft, I was made up of about twenty pixels) and the screen had a heavy yellow filter that only had a temporary fix. Bought a Dell Inspiron and was just as disappointed. Acer is known for having dimmer displays, but apparently brighter display options have a slight sepia filter. And I hate it. (What does a brighter display usually look like? On the Dell and the ASUS the Google home page, usually white, was tinted yellow. All I have to compare my brightness to is my phone screen, which at 100% brightness outshines the entire sun, so I don't think that's fair.)

In general I've been looking at Acer models because that's what my last two laptops have been, but there are hardly any reviews on the ones that interest me and it makes me a little uneasy.
Last edited by crowguts on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: laptop suggestions?

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:31 pm

crowguts wrote:
..the video card is dying on me. If it gets bumped, or sometimes just at random, grey lines/individual pixels appear on the screen. You have to kinda whack the laptop to get it back to the regular screen.

:o

:lol:

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 am

I can't tell you about the video capture quality.. it simply states HD webcam 1220 by 780. :oops:

https://www.amazon.com/GL503VM-Gaming-L ... B076D95JW7

Important things: (for gaming)

GTX 1060
120 Hz G-sync display

..and then the other stuff like a good CPU for a laptop, 16 GB ram, 256 GB NVME SSD, 1 TB hard drive, etc..

- a GTX 1070 with the same display would be a fair bit better, but then you pay quite a bit more. :oops:

Note that new laptops with Intel + Vega on-board *should provide similar performance to this GTX 1060 + 120 Hz G-sync (assuming it has a 120 Hz Freesync display) , and they aren't available quite yet. :cry:

*of course "should" maybe optimistic. They keep comparing it to mobile 1050's (which it beats), but this isn't particularly inspiring (..considering that the 1060 is quite a bit better than the 1050).

Here is an example (..but I don't see anything about a 120 Hz Freesync display):

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-core ... umd-mx-150

similar: (..and still no mention of 120 Hz Freesync display.)

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12221/hp ... -rx-vega-m

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:11 am

crowguts wrote:
I'd like to be able to play games, and a SSD is far better for that.

What kind of games are we talking about here? Crysis and the Football Manager series are both games but they have very different system requirements.

What sized screen do you want? Resolution? Do you want a desktop replacement or do you want a thin and light machine? What kind of pointing device do you prefer? What about ports?

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:03 am

CScottG wrote:
crowguts wrote:
..the video card is dying on me. If it gets bumped, or sometimes just at random, grey lines/individual pixels appear on the screen. You have to kinda whack the laptop to get it back to the regular screen.

:lol:

FWIW I've had multiple monitors (going all the way back to the CRT days) which eventually developed a need for "percussive maintenance".
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

crowguts
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:40 pm

Norphy wrote:
crowguts wrote:
I'd like to be able to play games, and a SSD is far better for that.

What kind of games are we talking about here? Crysis and the Football Manager series are both games but they have very different system requirements.

What sized screen do you want? Resolution? Do you want a desktop replacement or do you want a thin and light machine? What kind of pointing device do you prefer? What about ports?

Some newer games, some older games. Outlast 1, Agony, GTA V, but also L4D2 and Garry's Mod.
I'd prefer a 15"/15.6" screen size because it's what I'm used to. Willing to go larger, not so sure about smaller.
Resolution isn't a giant issue for me. My resolution now is 1366x768, which I think is considered somewhat low: besides the dim Acer display, everything looks HD to me.
Not super picky on weight. My laptop now is about 4 lbs. I like to be able to move room to room easily with it, but whatever works.
As for pointing device, I don't really care, I guess? I'm used to a touch pad mouse so.
And as for ports I'm not super picky either. I don't know what the "standard" USB port is called, but I would need at least two of those, and a headphone jack.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:34 pm

crowguts wrote:
Some newer games, some older games. Outlast 1, Agony, GTA V, but also L4D2 and Garry's Mod.

Resolution isn't a giant issue for me.

GTA V can be tough on video performance.. Mod's can often suck-up system memory. (..but 16GB *should* be enough unless you have a lot of memory-hogging mod.s.)

Generally for a gaming laptop you'll want 1080P. Anything higher in resolution starts taking a serious toll on video cards installed in laptops with some games (..which could include GTA V).

So along with a 1060 6gb or better graphics "card", 1080P 120 Hz G-sync display (..at least on the Nvidia side of things). Otherwise the upcoming Vega with 1080P 120Hz Freesync display.

-oh, I should also point out that the Laptop suggestion I provided has a hard drive with caching already built into it.. so something like the maxvelossd program I mentioned in the other thread would be almost redundant. (..and only "almost" - because a portion of its cache is derived from system memory, as opposed to the built-in SSD cache on the hard drive.) In other words you should NOT be using an additional program like it for caching.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:40 pm

CScottG wrote:

-damn, just went up $150. :o

(..sometime it really is a case of: you snooze, you loose.) :oops:

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:43 pm

just brew it! wrote:
..which eventually developed a need for "percussive maintenance".

-sounds a bit like child-rearing. :o

Airmantharp
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Recommend buying something cheap for mobile computing/media consumption, and building a desktop for gaming.

There's no such thing as a good gaming laptop. Even the nice ones are a crap-show from a Q/C standpoint.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Airmantharp wrote:
Recommend buying something cheap for mobile computing/media consumption, and building a desktop for gaming.

There's no such thing as a good gaming laptop. Even the nice ones are a crap-show from a Q/C standpoint.

QFT
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:40 pm

Yeah...if you're serious about gaming, get a PC if at all possible, and if you're serious about laptops, get a Thinkpad/Elitebook/Latitude/Precision. If you're serious about webcams, you'll want to buy a USB webcam either way. Sager/Clevo is okay if you're dead set on getting a gaming notebook. MSI is okay, better than most in this bracket, but can still be a bit of a crap shoot.

I do recommend going for a 1080p display no matter what you do. Not for the games, but for other applications that don't work right with lower resolution.

CScottG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:07 pm

Airmantharp wrote:

Note: the "max q" variety is NOT as good performance-wise as the normal version of each gpu (..be it 1060 or 1070). It is however more power efficient (longer battery) and produces less heat.

Gaming laptops are all-over the place with respect to graphics performance due to various heat-dissipation techniques from the laptop manufacturer - and in many cases are utilized in such a manner that presents like a "max q" variation (..but without being nearly as good with power-saving/battery life). It's a good idea to look at performance reviews (if possible) for the particular laptop.

I don't think I'd call this quality control (..which I think of in terms of build defects, not design compromises), but it is something to be aware of.

As far as build defects, well ..it's not just a single component, it's a grouping of components - realistically defects are bound to be more frequent for a laptop. Basically this means the purchaser should have a very good/favorable return policy (..like perhaps Amazon Prime for that particular purchase if available). Also, this is one of the few tech purchases that makes sense to get a *good* extended warranty (IMO).

-price-wise, a *good* gaming laptop like the Asus ROG version I linked to is actually not a bad deal from a component + OS perspective, particularly with the current stupidity of graphics card prices.

llisandro
Gerbil

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:16 pm

My vote would be the Logitech C920- it's a great 1080p webcam. Wirecutter agrees, FWIW.