Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Shield Console woes

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:01 am

I have recently updated the Roku stick in my theater room to an nVidia Shield console. The Roku worked flawlessly for what I asked of it, but the thought of having all the same functionality, plus google play store and nvidia link/steam-stream, sounded to good to pass up. Unfortunately, I have been having nothing but headaches with it.

For starters, I knew going in that steam stream over wifi would be less than ideal, but with AC wireless in the house, I figured it would at least be good enough to make for an enjoyable experience playing some games like cup-head on my projector. The problem is, the wifi card in the console appears to run at an appallingly throttled speed. Even running Plex on the device I am forced to set the stream speed to 10mpbs, which on a large projected image is a noticable drop in quality from native. I haven't been able to get the console to even read my 5ghz band, but I am going to keep playing around with it as I am sure I can manage troubleshooting that much on my own. So far though the 2.4 has full bars and doesnt show any signs of it being a signal strength issue. Despite this, the shield absolutely struggles to run movies on plex and failed entirely to even launch steam stream. When I attempt to run a game stream I get about as far as the studio emblem during the games launch sequence before i get an error that there was a connectivity issue. The device it is connecting to is connected cat cable direct to the router.

I have so far managed to get the streaming to work at least once when all other devices were either turned off or running on the 5ghz band in the house. That time I ran into an issue with my host device having its monitor turned off, and the stream not broadcasting any video. An easy enough fix, just go turn on the monitor of the host PC; only for me that would be my PLEX host (running a GTX1070) on a 4k 50" TV. Not exactly something I want to just have running all the time just in case I decide to throw on a game when I'm downstairs. I am trying to find the most elegant solution to this issue (having some hope I can resolve the connection speed issues by getting it to find the 5g band or running a cable through the rafters). The problem with the previously mentioned solution is that, in addition to the energy cost and the extra mileage I would put on the tv, Seam kicks the stream resolution down to 720p, which in turn changes my TV resolution from 4k to 720p, making the computer almost impossible to navigate as 1 single desktop icon takes up the entire screen. ( I use large font and icons already to make the system easier on the eyes when reading from the couch.)

My first though would be to buy a headless display emulator such as https://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Hea ... B00FLZXGJ6 but having never used one of these before, I am worried what to expect in terms of behavior and performance. The 1070 has just enough ponies under its hood to play the games I like at 4k with medium-high textures, I am worried that adding a display emulator would start to crush the GPU, since I would have to have the monitors in a mirror to ensure that even with the TV off all the stream windows are displaying on the primary image in the game stream. If I run extended (which I doubt would save me that much GPU overhead) I would have to switch which screen steam launches to ever time I decide to switch between gaming on the TV or gaming on the projector. I am also not 100% sure that will stop the stream from changing my resolution settings, in fact I am pretty sire it won't since my projector is a 1080p display and it has no reason to pick that low of a res unless it is doing it for bandwidth reasons.

Have any of you ever used a headless display emulator on a not headless box? what should I expect for performance degradation? Otherwise, if someone has a smarter solution to this I am all ears.
Dying doesn't make this world dead to us
Breathing doesn't keep the flame alive in us
Dreaming doesn't make time less real for us
One life, one chance, all ephemeral

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Shield Console woes

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:03 am

1st question: Which Shield model do you have specifically?

edit: COME ON ANOVOCA DON'T JUST POST AND THEN SIGN OFF LIKE THAT I'M TRYING TO HELP GAHHHHHHHHHHHH
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:09 am

I have the latest model the 2017 version

edit: LIES!!! I NEVER LEAVE!!!! I SLEEP ON A COT IN THE SMOKEY BACK PORCH!!!!!!!!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:12 am

Anovoca wrote:
I have the latest model the 2017 version

edit: LIES!!! I NEVER LEAVE!!!! I SLEEP ON A COT IN THE SMOKEY BACK PORCH!!!!!!!!

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/ Aye?
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:14 am

yes, that be the one.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:20 am

Anovoca wrote:
yes, that be the one.

Cool, thanks. A few thoughts.

1. Something is totally wrong with either the 5GHz band on the Shield or with the compatibility of your router and the Shield. It should work totally fine. Maybe check for firmware updates (for both) and see if anything changes (i'm sure you thought of this, but 5GHz should work just fine)
2. What kind of content are you streaming from Plex? 4K x264 AVC stuff? 1080p HEVC? There are some Plex settings that get a little wonky so you gotta make sure your content and settings match well for what you're streaming to. Your computer should be able to handle the transcoding, but maybe there are some unforseen issues going on there. I mean, my years old Roku (and my PC in sig) handle Plex streaming perfectly.

Unfortunately I can't help with the resolution problem. I'd kinda have to have a similar set up and I just don't have access to that stuff right now. Gotta be a way to control resolution though (at least one would think) Someone will have to comment on the emulator. I'm not sure you need one quite yet though.

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:30 am

DancinJack wrote:
Anovoca wrote:
yes, that be the one.

Cool, thanks. A few thoughts.

1. Something is totally wrong with either the 5GHz band on the Shield or with the compatibility of your router and the Shield. It should work totally fine. Maybe check for firmware updates (for both) and see if anything changes (i'm sure you thought of this, but 5GHz should work just fine)
2. What kind of content are you streaming from Plex? 4K x264 AVC stuff? 1080p HEVC? There are some Plex settings that get a little wonky so you gotta make sure your content and settings match well for what you're streaming to. Your computer should be able to handle the transcoding, but maybe there are some unforseen issues going on there. I mean, my years old Roku (and my PC in sig) handle Plex streaming perfectly.

Unfortunately I can't help with the resolution problem. I'd kinda have to have a similar set up and I just don't have access to that stuff right now. Gotta be a way to control resolution though (at least one would think) Someone will have to comment on the emulator. I'm not sure you need one quite yet though.

Thanks, yeah i was pretty sure the firmware did an automatic update when it did its initial launch but I will check again. The PLEX stream is 1080p H264. The last time I had streaming issues this bad was on my RasPi3 which I fixed by running an USB AC wifi adapter rather than the native wireless-n chip. Since the shield has a native AC chip and no firmware support for USB NIC it should not have the same speed issues, and I am SOL as far as adding the same adapter to this device.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:46 am

Desktop resolution switching is a toggle in the steam settings on the PC that’s actually hosting the steam stream.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Anovoca
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:50 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Desktop resolution switching is a toggle in the steam settings on the PC that’s actually hosting the steam stream.

Thanks, Ill take a look for this. I hate navigating steams setup menus and I wasn't sure if nvidia was doing it or steam. Hopefully even at 1080 it will at least leave my TV at a usable state. at the moment I cant even seen the whole of the display setting window when it opens to easily divert it back to 4k, I have to drag the selector arrow up the two slots that are visible and tab to the apply button and repeat 3 times until i can see all of the menu......