Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

gecko575
Gerbil
Topic Author

Video (card?) Issue

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:51 pm

I'm been having some trouble with my computer lately. Every few days I I get this https://imgur.com/MH6E3m6 on my monitor. Goes away for 15 seconds or so if I re-seat my DVI connection, then returns. The screen goes back to normal immediately if I don't unplug anything and start the shutdown process. I can watch my computer close down the programs and reboot normally. It won't happen again for a day or two after that. So far it has only happened when I'm browsing Amazon, Gmail, Twitch, and Techreport (so far).

Anyone run into something similar? It is slow to troubleshoot because I can't seem to find a way to force it to happen, it just rears its head every few days. It has never occurred when I'm stressing the GPU.

Two days ago I installed the latest Nvidia drivers for my 970 and thought that had fixed it, but it just happened again. I swapped the DVI cable just now, but I don't think that is the cause since the problem will go away when I start to reboot. It's a single link DVI cable so I have to wave goodbye to 144hz till I grab a DP cable from work tomorrow. I'm running a Ryzen 1600x rig with a GTX 970 from 2015, paired with a Asus VG248QE monitor.

Curious to see if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers!

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Video (card?) Issue

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:48 am

Tentative guess: the monitor's to blame. Maybe capacitors?

Try seeing if changing resolution in Windows fixes it temporarily. A real resolution change, not the modes that the graphics driver will scale or center to the native resolution.

Atradeimos
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:52 pm

meerkt wrote:
Tentative guess: the monitor's to blame. Maybe capacitors?

Not sure why initiating the shutdown process would 'fix' the issue if the monitor was to blame. Hopefully OP has something else lying around that he can use with the monitor to rule it out.

gecko575
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Just put in the new DP cable. Running normally so far. If it happens again I'll try changing up the resolution. Unfortunately I don't have another graphics card to swap out to test

gecko575
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:33 pm

So we're thinking the monitor might be on its way out? I guess I could also swap this monitor with the crappy one I have at work and test that as well.

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:57 pm

Atradeimos wrote:
Not sure why initiating the shutdown process would 'fix' the issue if the monitor was to blame.

I have an LCD that sometimes shows all/garbled white on startup or after waking up from sleep. The solution is to turn it off and on again, or to switch to another resolution and back which causes something in the monitor to reset. I've had CRTs with similar issues and solutions.

That random pixel noise the OP's monitor shows isn't the same as what I saw on mine, but the general symptoms and temporary solution sound similar.

gecko575
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:52 am

Just a quick update: Ever since I replaced the dual link DVI cable with a DP cable, I haven't had an issue. Not sure why that worked but it did!

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:08 am

A few possibilities, but as long as it works and it's a viable solution... congrats. :)