Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

camel
Gerbil
Topic Author

Analog Video Capture Card Recommendations Request

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:23 pm

I have a bunch of VHS tapes I'd like to transfer to DVD. I have this, which I bought a long time ago and which I never actually got around to using in my old PC:
https://www.ebay.com/i/253421615934?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Now I have a new PC. I just moved the card over, installed the driver, connected my VCR, and voila! Nothing. (I've read posts that say this card doesn't work in Windows 10.) I know the VCR works when I just plug it into the TV. I've tried everything to get a feed to show up on the card but nothing works, and I've given up.

I'd like to get another analog capture card and I'm looking for recommendations. I'd prefer it was also a PCIE X1 card, but that's not set in stone. I've seen a wide variety of USB capture devices, like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6706X93201
but I am skeptical of the video transfer rate over USB and hardware capabilities of such a small device.

I'd also prefer the card or device is under $50.

Advice?

JustAnEngineer
Gold subscriber
Gerbil God

Re: Analog Video Capture Card Recommendations Request

Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:20 pm

I had that same card on Windows Vista (worked great) and I recall having to fiddle with the drivers to get it to work with later versions of Windows. Unfortunately, that was long enough ago that I don't remember what was required. You might try AVSforum.
i7-8700K, H100i v2, RoG Strix Z370-G Gaming, 16 GiB, RX Vega64, 960Pro SSD, 5TB HDD, Define Mini-C, SS-660XP2, C32HG70, RK-9000BR, MX518

MOSFET
Silver subscriber
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:07 pm

I have that card too, although I don't remember if it's dual-tuner or not. I'm pretty sure it is Plug-N-Play in Windows 10. I can give it a whirl after work (it's 4pm here, another hour).

Oddly enough, I have had an occasion where Windows did not recognize the card, and I assumed it was dead for a while. I don't know what happened, but that was not the case. It lives.

Whatever you do, don't try the USB 2.0 crap like this. It is unreal how bad the image quality is. Personal experience - I'll ship that thing to you for free.
Be careful on inserting this (or any G34 chip) into the socket. Once you pull that restraining lever, it is either a good install or a piece of silicon jewelry.

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:15 pm

Hauppauge is always my go-to. I have a HVR-1850, and it works well.
Sony RX1rII

camel
Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:38 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I had that same card on Windows Vista (worked great)...

I've now tried mine on three different PCs, including the Windows Vista machine it which it was first installed. All of the PCs recognize the card and it is a selectable source in VLC, et al. (AverMedia's native software won't even open if it doesn't detect the card, which I discovered when I accidentally removed the driver.) But all I see is faint fuzzy bars of noise on black. I'm pretty sure the card is just toast.

TheEmrys wrote:
I have a HVR-1850

That looks ideal. Lots of them for sale on ebay. A lot better deal than I almost paid for a new card or...

MOSFET wrote:
USB 2.0 crap like this.