Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Redragon K552-R Mechanical Keyboard $33

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:32 am

So, I did a thing. I ordered a Cherry MX Blue clone keyboard. This particular board gets pretty damn good reviews. I figured I'd test it out for myself. For $33, what do I have to lose (other than $33)!

If anyone is interested I think I'll do a quick video/breakdown. I needed a backup keyboard for work. I'm not usually too fond of blue switches, I'm more of a red kinda guy. For long term typing, I figured I'd give it a go to see what all the hubbub. I chose to NOT get the RGB individual keys as programming them looked a bit MEH, and I'm sure at this price they aren't 16.7 color RGB. I got the "Rainbow" version as from what I was reading, you can change each row together, until you have a single color for the entire keyboard. This would give me back lighting as well as the ability to match the keyboard to a single system if I wanted and was only $3.00 more than the straight Red keyboard and only $7 more than the no light version.

Let's see if I'm too much of a keyboard snob after using Corsair/Cherry MX switches.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZN7MLE/re ... UTF8&psc=1
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Redragon K552-R Mechanical Keyboard $33

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:42 pm

Well, you didn't ask for it... But I am typing on the keyboard right now. So, first impressions are "Wow, this was only $33!?"

The construction is rock solid, I mean REALLY rock solid. You could club to death, a baby seal, and continue on to club the entire herd of baby and otherwise seals with this thing. I'm fairly certain it would remain unscathed to the point where you could take it on future clubbing/hunting excursions. The colors look clean but subtle. They come turned on to their maximum brightness which do not burn your eyes out. If you were to change them to all green they would look much brighter though so they are not a slouch when it comes to output, very event lighting and very smooth/soft, not harsh like I expected a cheapo. If you pickup the keyboard and sort of shake it around, none of the keys flop or make noise, they are on their SOLID. I'll see if this is the case after typing a bunch of in. The only "loose" thing on it is the plastic cover that says "Redragon" on it with the 2 lights to display if "CapsLk" and "ScrLk" are on., that light is red and not configurable even on the full RGB version.

The only concern I have about this is for people who are prone to dropping liquids on their keyboard. The entire field where the keys are located have a 1/4 to 1/3 inch lip all around as a border. I could see this meaning cleaning liquid out of it wouldn't be fun if you do that often. Then again, for the first time in my computing history, I spilt coffee all over my Corsair K90 a few days ago, it was only on the Num pad and of course it messed up keys on the entire board. I had to take the keyboard apart, clean and put in back together. Of course this gave me a good excuse to clean it like I was preparing it as a gift for a king, which it desperately needed. It just goes to show though, that even if you don't think you would spill things, you can.

The mechanical keys have a really nice feel actually and to be honest, just in typing this post I feel that I might like these a lot better than my wife's Cherry MX Blue switches in her Corsair Strafe RGB. They most certainly feel like they actuate with a bit more ease and don't seem to have as large of a bump to overcome to make the key register. The return even seems nicer than the Cherry MX Blue switches oddly enough. I'd have to take a look at the specs on the two, but this is just my initially feeling. I didn't think I would actually like switches with the tactile bump or audible click, but this might grow on me for work. The keycaps have an anti-slip matte finish that I could see lasting a decent amount of time. There isn't much to make me believe at this point that it wouldn't last. The plastics used in this board feel thick and very rigid. Almost like what you would expect in an industrial grade tool. The fit/finish is minimalistic and very refined to match the rest of the aesthetics.

If anyone is interested in this keyboard and is afraid to spend the $26 on the non lit version, or $30 on the red light, or $33 on the rainbow, and wants more information..... you know who to ask. Oh and if you are just ROLLING in dough and money is of no consequence, then you could always spend $42.99 on the RGB version. You high roller you.

1600x | Strix B350-F | CM 240 Lite | 16GB 3200 | RX 580 8GB | 970 EVO | Corsair 400R | Seasonic X 850 | Corsair M95 / K90 | Sennheiser PC37x

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Heh. Sounds like a great deal. I looked at what else Redragon makes; if they had this one with blue switches I'd be all over that.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:32 pm

The only thing I don't like about these keyboards is the bottom-row layout. These cheaper mechanical boards always seem to have that totally useless context menu button instead of a right-side Windows key.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
The only thing I don't like about these keyboards is the bottom-row layout. These cheaper mechanical boards always seem to have that totally useless context menu button instead of a right-side Windows key.

I don't think I ever use that key, so that would not bother me.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:02 pm

just brew it! wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I don't think I ever use that key, so that would not bother me.

Ditto, in fact I had to look down to see what you were talking about. I wonder who thought a context menu key was important, or even usable vs right clicking.

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:17 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
totally useless context menu button instead of a right-side Windows key.

For my line of work the second splodge key is useless but the context key is invaluable. By the same token, I use the numpad every day. Horses for courses, I guess?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:18 pm

I love the number pad, but I almost never have my mouse where I want a context menu. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:52 am

Shobai wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

For my line of work the second splodge key is useless but the context key is invaluable. By the same token, I use the numpad every day. Horses for courses, I guess?

What sort of use do you have for it out of curiosity? I wonder if I've been missing out on some sweet shortcuts now.

I believe they make another keyboard almost identical with the numpad and it probably only cost $10 more :lol:

EDIT: Yep, pretty much.

https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-K558-Me ... 3ARedragon

or

https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Mechani ... 3ARedragon

The second one looks identical to the one I got but with the numpad. I just went with ultra cheap thinking I wasn't going to love it, time will tell. I also wanted to have a spare keyboard with mechanicals that I didn't mind carrying around and showing to customers who could benefit from it. Most of them aren't going to want to type on my Cherry Red switches, and I'm not hauling my K90 around either. One customer has been typing for 25 year transcribing voice to text for lawyers and had never heard of a mechanical keyboard. :o

I wanted to say "You've never heard of mechanicals, well you will hear them when you start typing on them!" I figured the amount of fatigue and strain relief she would gain HAS to be worth at least $30-40!

just brew it! wrote:
Heh. Sounds like a great deal. I looked at what else Redragon makes; if they had this one with blue switches I'd be all over that.

Not my cup of tea, but it looks like they show those switches being swapped out, as in they made them user swappable. Take a look at the image section of Amazon. If it was just the keycaps, you can always buy them and swap them onto any cherry based mechanical style stem.

Shobai
Gerbil First Class

Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:28 am

Welch wrote:
What sort of use do you have for it out of curiosity? I wonder if I've been missing out on some sweet shortcuts now.

I believe they make another keyboard almost identical with the numpad and it probably only cost $10 more :lol:

EDIT: Yep, pretty much.

[snip]

Nothing crazy. I do circuit design and embedded firmware and software; most of the time I have both hands on the keyboard, and have tried to teach myself the keyboard shortcuts for lots of tasks I perform many times a day.

Simple stuff like 'context,w,f' in Windows Explorer [for a new folder] lets me keep my hands on the keyboard rather than constantly switch back and forth.

In Visual Studio it's more usually 'ctrl+shift+cursor [highlight], context, F12' (or similar).

Heh, I had a stickybeak and found those as well. Still a bit exxy by the time I account for shipping, compared to local competition, but intriguing nonetheless.

SHOES
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:20 am

I have one and love it... Quality is impressive even at full price. Their mice are really excellent for the price also.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:50 am

This thread has got me thinking that I should figure out if there's a way to re-purpose the Menu key as an additional modifier key in Linux, for use in global hotkey sequences. Since I don't use it anyway, it would be an ideal choice.

Chuckaluphagus
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:13 am

Shobai wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

Same here. Not having to take my hands off the keyboard and lose flow is important.

Welch
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:31 pm

I didn't think I would end up saying this but I've really loved typing on these "Blue" switches. There is still immense love for my linear reds, but for typing these have sort of grown on me. I've notice myself typing a little softer, which could only be good for my joints.

Also, I did notice ONE SINGLE BUTTON that I miss... The enter on the numpad :lol: . I didn't realize until I went to go hit it that I'm used to using it. I'll type something out and my hand will already have made it back to the mouse, on the route back to the mouse that enter button gets hit, usually when typing in a URL. What a funny feeling to reach out to hit a key that isn't there.