Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

ISO
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

PC is stuck on black screen/sleep on boot up

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:52 am

I'm not sure is this is a help site, seems more like a discussion board but any help would be appreciated is available.
More
Me:
I recently took out my ram and Hard drive to clean the inside of my PC and I reconnected everything I have a black screen, I made sure all the connections were correct, everything is running smoothly and I even bought new RAM. I did this right before my new motherboard arrived so I hooked it up, inserted the new RAM and the PC is still not getting a signal to the monitor. I'm getting no start up beeps and it's booting up cleaner than it ever has. The PC was running perfect b4 I took out the RAM and Hard drive, all the drivers and windows 10 is up to date, I have tried to reset the jumpers, took out the battery but I don't get a bios screen or anything, it's like it's stuck in sleep mode

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: PC is stuck on black screen/sleep on boot up

Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:29 am

Welcome to TR!
What motherboard is it? Some of them have a display that will give you a post code. When things don't work right, that error message is really helpful.
Normally for troubleshooting a no-boot I always disconnect everything in the PC except for RAM & CPU. If the CPU has onboard video, use that temporarily and remove the graphics card. completely disconnect any hard drives, optical drives, sound cards, etc. If it works in that state, then start reconnecting each piece 1 by 1 and either 1/ it will stop working after one of them and then you've found your culprit or 2/ everything works after everything is reconnected.

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:28 am

I am a little confused by your post. Are you saying it didn't POST with the original motherboard, and won't POST with the new one either? Or that the old motherboard works but the new one does not?

Do any of the fans start spinning? Does the HDD activity light blink at all? Are there any LEDs lit on the motherboard?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

ISO
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:01 am

The new board is a DB85FL, it has a r9 380 graphics card and no processor installed yet. The old Mobo was 760 gm.
The problem happens with both the old and the new board.
I unhooked the CD ROM, hard drive, and removed the graphics card, tried with all unhooked and then tested adding each component, the monitor is my TV which I use with uverse through HDMI cables so I know it works..I've called a computer tech I think I'm going to just let them fix it bc I'm tired of turning my PC on and off so much when they can test everything as is..

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:02 pm

I'm super-confused. If there's no processor in the new motherboard, then it won't boot. Are you saying that when a CPU is installed, it still won't?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen