Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

pink_flower
Gerbil
Topic Author

My laptop switches off while I am using it

Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 am

Hi guys! Currently, I am using Asus Vivobook Max x541N and I started having some problem with it. It randomly turns off while I am using it. Do you know how I can fix it? Is it a malware problem?

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Re: My laptop switches off while I am using it

Fri May 18, 2018 5:49 am

That sounds like a hardware problem; Malware wouldn't turn your PC off, because the purpose of most malware is to steal data or use your PC for other purposes without your consent. If your laptop is off, the malware can't do what it was written to do.

It could be a power issue and certain types of workload cause it to shut off, or it could be a cooling issue, and it shuts down when it overheats.

Download CoreTemp and run it to see what temperature your processor is reaching. If it's much above 90C you probably have a broken cooling fan.
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/php/download.php?id=2

If it's not overheating, download Furmark and install it. Furmark is a graphics and cpu stress-test:
http://www.geeks3d.com/dl/show/569
The tool you want to use first is "CPU burner" and if it's stable after running that for a few minutes, also start the GPU stress test.

In the unlikely event that your laptop doesn't crash whilst doing any of that, the next thing to check is the eventlog. Just type 'Event Viewer' into the start menu and navigate to:
Event Viewer (Local) >> Windows Logs >> System, then 'Filter Current Log' (on the right panel) and choose just error and critical. You can Google the Event ID code to see what the jargon actually means.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

chµck
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

does windows shut down or does your computer just spontaneously powers off?
it could be a heat issue, not necessarily of your CPU/GPU, but also motherboard components
if you can't pinpoint the cause down to dust-bunnies blocking fan vents, then I would start looking into a warranty replacement or for a new computer
Trump 2020

odizzido
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 18, 2018 8:17 pm

I've also seen laptops that would have their cases put pressure on the power button when they are picked up, which would turn the machine off. Just throwing it out there.