Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Which piece of hardware do you research the most? Why?

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:21 am

Chrispy_ wrote:
Ifalna wrote:
Monitors, definitely.
Want one for years now but all I read is, contradictory BS, horrible QA Lottery and obscene pricing for compromise-products.

So here I am, still honkin' around with my 8yr old 1080p 60Hz TN panel, b/c so far, the industry has failed to make a product that makes me want to throw money at my screen and I am afraid that I would spent tons of cash only to end up with a worse product. <_<

Well, there are a number of affordable 1440p IPS and VA options that would be a significant upgrade for you then. You almost can't go wrong!

The disappointment that you read about is people then wanting more than the affordable 1440p IPS and VA options, only to discover that spending triple, or even quadruple results in a sidegrade with compromises.

I don't know, the main disappointment that I read about was shoddy QA, people ordering 4-6 Displays only to not get one with acceptable backlight bleed etc. Esp the G-Sync gamer screens seem to have issues.

Personally, I am gunning for VA 32" @ 4K with simply great image quality at this point. HDR, seems to be in experimental stages at best.
GSync would be nice to eliminate tearing but in a few GFX generations, driving 4K @ 60Hz won't be much of an issue anymore. Also, my days of being a hardcore gamer are long since past.

4K @ high refresh seems to be a few years away from being reasonable priced, let alone being usable w/o selling your firstborn for GPU horsepower. :D
Ryhadar wrote:
Ifalna wrote:
I hear ya. Sometimes I feel like I know too much about the performance metrics of monitors for my own good. When researching TONS of reviews for my first IPS monitor, I came across problems like ghosting, overdrive, gradient banding, back light bleed... Honestly, probably wouldn't have even noticed if it had not been pointed out to me.

I know your feeling. :D
Esp. annoying when you simply have no opportunity to look at the darn thing.

I mean, come on we are talking about a device that is all about transmitting visual information, yet we read textbooks worth of stories, pixellated osci graphs, see a few grainy screenshots and try to form an opinion. :D
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

Kretschmer
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 am

Ifalna wrote:
Monitors, definitely.
Want one for years now but all I read is, contradictory BS, horrible QA Lottery and obscene pricing for compromise-products.

So here I am, still honkin' around with my 8yr old 1080p 60Hz TN panel, b/c so far, the industry has failed to make a product that makes me want to throw money at my screen and I am afraid that I would spent tons of cash only to end up with a worse product. <_<

At the very least, upgrade to a nice 27" 1440P IPS/VA 144+ Hz monitor from a site with a good return policy, like Amazon. Realize that perfection is not achievable with today's technology and QA, but a huge improvement should be quite easy. If you're not gaming, snag a gorgeous 34" 1440P IPS monitor from LG; they go on sale for ~$500 these days.

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:05 am

DragonDaddyBear wrote:
I look a lot at everything since I only build a system once every 6-7 years. If there is one component I scrutinize more than the others,though, it's the power supply. Not all Watts are created equal and a bad PSU that's over stressed can make systems unstable (especially when overclocked) and, in rare or extreme cases, cause damage to other stuff.

There's a nice cheat for that one- JUST TICK THE SEASONIC BOX...........................
The likes of Corsair and EVGA sell some great PSU's, but also some low quality one's.

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:21 am

HERETIC wrote:
DragonDaddyBear wrote:
I look a lot at everything since I only build a system once every 6-7 years. If there is one component I scrutinize more than the others,though, it's the power supply. Not all Watts are created equal and a bad PSU that's over stressed can make systems unstable (especially when overclocked) and, in rare or extreme cases, cause damage to other stuff.

There's a nice cheat for that one- JUST TICK THE SEASONIC BOX...........................
The likes of Corsair and EVGA sell some great PSU's, but also some low quality one's.

QFT.
They may not be the cheapest but it takes the guesswork out of whether the 'rebrander' used Seasonic or someone inferior, and it's not worth jeopardizing your whole machine to save $15 on a cheaper PSU.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am

Yeah I agree on this. I bought one of the first 1000 watt 80 gold modular Seasonic PSUs when they were released. Paid an arm for it. Its lasted three builds and I'll probably use it in my next build.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!