Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

samsondaniel
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Monitor suddenly turned off and won't turn back on

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:05 pm

hello,

I was just browsing the internet last night when my monitor (ASUS PG248Q) suddenly turned off. It now will not turn on at all.
I've moved the power cable to a different outlet several times, and I've unplugged the DisplayPort cable from it. I haven't tried an HDMI cable but I doubt that's the problem.
I have a feeling it might be dead but I want to rule out any other possibilities before going through ASUS' RMA process

DrCR
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Monitor suddenly turned off and won't turn back on

Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:09 pm

No light of any kind at all, even if you unplug the powercable from the monitor (the monitor end, not the outlet end as you already tried the outlet end), plug it back in, and they try to power it on again? And the OSD menu does not appear when pressing the monitor's menu button after doing the above? Then, yeah, it appears you will need to RMA the monitor.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Had such a problem with my ancient BenQ FP73G once. One day, suddenly no lifesigns.
Turned out that the capacitors in the power supply aged and degraded out of spec. Bought new ones for 10 bucks, soldered a bit and the monitor is still going strong 8 years later.
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

samsondaniel
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Ifalna wrote:
Had such a problem with my ancient BenQ FP73G once. One day, suddenly no lifesigns.
Turned out that the capacitors in the power supply aged and degraded out of spec. Bought new ones for 10 bucks, soldered a bit and the monitor is still going strong 8 years later.

the quote in ur signature is it from ted kaczynski manuscript?

samsondaniel
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 pm

DrCR wrote:
No light of any kind at all, even if you unplug the powercable from the monitor (the monitor end, not the outlet end as you already tried the outlet end), plug it back in, and they try to power it on again? And the OSD menu does not appear when pressing the monitor's menu button after doing the above? Then, yeah, it appears you will need to RMA the monitor.

i hope it wont cost me alot :(

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:12 pm

samsondaniel wrote:

Beats me, I think I read it on Wikipedia or so. :D
The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:03 am

Ifalna wrote:
samsondaniel wrote:

Beats me too; nearly all of the Google hits seem to be your sig in web forums on various sites. :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:25 am

It sounds like something nearly a hundred years old, written as we had just about completely moved away from line shaft power:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_shaft

Like a book from roughly the 20s or 30s or something.

EDIT: Also, I've read like most of that manifesto, and no, it doesn't fit. That is an explanative sentence, with some retrospective connotations, about what industrial society is.

Although the unabomber used the same term, his focus was completely different. It was an entirely socially-based critique. The impact of that sentence would be anathema to him: it's paen to technology without reference to humanity, let alone individual humans.

Ifalna
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:31 am

just brew it! wrote:
Ifalna wrote:
samsondaniel wrote:

Beats me too; nearly all of the Google hits seem to be your sig in web forums on various sites. :lol:

Oi, stop stalking me!

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:37 am

It's from the electricity article on wikipedia, and it's a cite of this:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/61630/

:wink:

HERETIC
Gerbil XP

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:14 am

"The backbone of modern industrial society is, and for the foreseeable future will be, the use of electrical Power."

And what spins me out every time I read that is-
No matter how far we've come, I estimate 80% of electricity is still generated using "STEAM"

Glorious
Gold subscriber
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:22 am

Right, but the machines that make virtually everything you use are powered by electricity. That's the "backbone of industrial society"

Sure, steam generates it, but we were using steam before too. It just spun a bunch of belt loops (as described in the wikipedia article I cited) instead of generators.

That's the implicit distinction the statement is making.

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:53 am

HERETIC wrote:
And what spins me out every time I read that is-
No matter how far we've come, I estimate 80% of electricity is still generated using "STEAM"

Well, unless you're using photovoltaics or wind/water turbines, you're probably generating electricity from heat somehow. Water is cheap, non-toxic, and vaporizes at moderate temperatures so you don't need exotic materials to construct your generation equipment. It makes a lot of sense.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

churin
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:10 pm

samsondaniel wrote:
hello,

I was just browsing the internet last night when my monitor (ASUS PG248Q) suddenly turned off. It now will not turn on at all.
I've moved the power cable to a different outlet several times, and I've unplugged the DisplayPort cable from it. I haven't tried an HDMI cable but I doubt that's the problem.
I have a feeling it might be dead but I want to rule out any other possibilities before going through ASUS' RMA process

It happened once in a while to my monitor. It could always be fixed by ON/OFF power cycling except recent incidence which could not be.
I managed to fix it but do not know exactly what did. What I know is usual cycling of power ON/OFF, system rebooting and re-seating video interface connectors(display ports) did not fix it.
Please note in reading the following that the monitor comes with a mini-display port and a standard display port.
After checking the above, I switched the PC to another one, used HDMI interface and monitor came in life. From here I switched the interface cable to standard display port(both ends), Switched PC back to the origianal one using HDMI. Switched cable to that for standard display port. And finally switched the interface to original condition being one end standard display port at video card and mini-display port at monitor side. Monitor kept working and working since then.

samsondaniel
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:04 pm

churin wrote:
samsondaniel wrote:
hello,

It happened once in a while to my monitor. It could always be fixed by ON/OFF power cycling except recent incidence which could not be.
I managed to fix it but do not know exactly what did. What I know is usual cycling of power ON/OFF, system rebooting and re-seating video interface connectors(display ports) did not fix it.
Please note in reading the following that the monitor comes with a mini-display port and a standard display port.
After checking the above, I switched the PC to another one, used HDMI interface and monitor came in life. From here I switched the interface cable to standard display port(both ends), Switched PC back to the origianal one using HDMI. Switched cable to that for standard display port. And finally switched the interface to original condition being one end standard display port at video card and mini-display port at monitor side. Monitor kept working and working since then.

thankyou well this was very reasonable and is something worth the shot
let me try and get back to you :)