Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

vishalsuvagia
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Asus ROG GL553VD design issue or flaw !

Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Found this laptop on a local buy / sell site.
The laptop model (Asus ROG gl553vd-FY061T) features found here with the official specifications described here.
I will list down the basic specifications here:
Processor: Intel Core i7 7700HQ.
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 630 + NVidia GeForce GTX1050 with 4gb VRAM.
Storage: 128gb SSD + 1tb HDD + DVD-RW.
Display: 15.6" (16:9) LED backlit FHD (1920x1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare Panel.
Backlit keyboard, wifi + bluetooth, SD-card reader with a 180W power adapter.

As I wanted to check the laptop before buying, I and my friend went to check the laptop and I found that the laptop has this weird issue.
The laptop display despite having a 1920x1080 max resolution is attached to Intel Integrated graphics routed from the processor, instead of the gtx1050 graphics.
Checked in the Device Manager, which shows that the gtx1050 was essentially disabled under Display Adapters. I tired to enable the gtx1050 and did a reboot. But the display just remained linked to the Intel Integrated graphics instead of using the GTX 1050. Repeated the exercise with a few combination iterations.

I tried running DXDiag on the laptop, where the display tab showed that the display is controlled from integrated graphics and Nvidia graphis is present, but cannot be used / switched on.
The same issue is discussed here as well.
So a query:
Will the laptop be able to use the gtx1050 with optimus as and when required Even if the display is connected to the integrated graphics instead of gtx1050 ?
or will the gtx1050 remain in the laptop and go unused !!

vishalsuvagia
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: Asus ROG GL553VD design issue or flaw !

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:25 am

No thinkers on this issue, or I asked something odd !!
This is my TR sign.

qmacpoint
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:53 am

Not gonna lie... that sounds like a bust Windows installation if you're not able to use the GPU at all...

IIRC the GPU should work the moment you require it, regardless whether the display is connected through the IGP adapter. As a matter in fact, you should want to use the IGP most of the times, as it has a lower power consumption and creates less heat than the NVIDIA chip, and the GPU should become enabled when you run a game or a graphics intensive program.

If you want to confirm that the card is working and active, you can always use the Task Manager, you should be able to see in the Processes tab what is the GPU consumption and the card that's rendering it - at least that's what I get with the latest NVIDIA drivers + MSI Afterburner, not sure which one enables that stat to be present in the task manager.

Edit: Wasn't this the point of NVIDIA's Optimus?

DPete27
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:09 pm

This most certainly sounds like the Optimus tech black box is muddying the waters. Assuming that you checked all this while the laptop was essentially idle, I wonder if you subjected the laptop to Furmark (or your fav GPU stress tester) and checked everything again, if the results would change. Certainly a GPU benchmark should show definitively what GPU is being used, because a GTX1050 is going to perform FAR better than the Intel IGP.

Or
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/~/how-do-i-customize-optimus-profiles-and-settings%3F
Main: i5-3570K, ASRock Z77 Pro4-M, MSI RX480 8G, 500GB Crucial BX100, 2 TB Samsung EcoGreen F4, 16GB 1600MHz G.Skill @1.25V, EVGA 550-G2, Silverstone PS07B
HTPC: A8-5600K, MSI FM2-A75IA-E53, 4TB Seagate SSHD, 8GB 1866MHz G.Skill, Crosley D-25 Case Mod

Bomber
Gerbil XP

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:50 pm

My experience if you don't install things in the right order, Windows doesn't setup optimus correctly. If you can get in the bios, disable the onboard video, then go into windows and make sure the nvidia drivers are current. Restart, re-enable the onboard and it "should" work. It may require and additional restart if it detects anything "new" on that boot. I had a bunch of old Lenovo T430's that wouldn't setup correctly from fresh installs of windows 10 without that.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:07 am

I have a Dell laptop with specs just like yours. Right-click the NVidia Settings for the Control Panel, go to 'Manage 3D settings', to the tab 'Global Settings' and make sure that 'Preferred graphics professor' is set to 'Auto-select'.
Select 'High-performance NVidia processor' to ensure GPU mode for testing.

If the 'GeForce GTX 1050' adapter is actually disabled, you might try re-installing the GPU driver in order as others noted. The Task Manager Processes column should indicate 'GPU 1' in use when running a graphics-heavy title.

vishalsuvagia
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:07 am

Thank-you for all your valuable suggestions.
I did try to fiddle in the BIOS, but wasn't able to get any option to change the graphics for the display.
Finally, I was able to do an upgrade of Nvidia drivers, and things look ok now, was able to get the graphics switchable.
Looks like Windows-X update decided to break Optimus.
This is my TR sign.

Chewymee
Gerbil In Training

Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:41 am

Hi Vishal,
I have the same laptop model also and same issue where i could not change my primary GPU from Intel to NVIDIA.
Would you be able to share your solution for this?
I have updated by NVIDIA driver with the latest version but still the bios does not allow me change the primary GPU.
Changing the preferred graphics card processor in NVIDIA control panel does not work too.

Thanks,
Chewy