Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

ErinNoble
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

talk about Vista Power Plans

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:41 pm

Does anyone know the difference between Vista Power Plan "Balancing" and Vista Power Plan "Power Saving". I can not find a different scrap. Both just reduced my CPU speed by half and my core v to 1.02.

Noinoi
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: talk about Vista Power Plans

Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:28 am

Still rocking Windows Vista? Though I guess the following applies to any computer not running XP or older and isn't one of these mobile devices with just a "Balanced" power plan and nothing else.

Either way, though, the power saving plan in Windows Vista and beyond basically tries to keep your CPU as slow as it can be, in as long of time period as possible in my personal experience. Expect sluggishness in exchange for higher potential runtime on battery/lower power use.

The Balanced power plan will do the same thing as power saving when your computer is idle. It's when your computer's working, then Balanced will let your CPU stretch its legs - and the rest of the computer.

High Performance basically pegs your CPU to its maximum speed unless it couldn't handle it due to heat or power reasons. On older computers, this will be the listed clock speed. On newer computers that apply some form of turbo clocking, this will be instead usually the specified turbo speed, which can be higher than the base speed. You probably won't need this setting under most circumstances, though.
[email protected] | Patriot 2x16GB | Asus GTX 970 | Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | Intel 660p 512GB + Kingston Fury 240GB + 2x4TB WD HDDs | Win 10