Personal computing discussed

Moderators: mac_h8r1, Nemesis

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tariff price concerns

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:06 am

Ok so I don't want this to devolve into rnp but in think this is a good topic.

For us Americans, what parts will be impacted by the new tariff? Which parts are domestic and what should we pick up now before January? Is anyone else thinking of an early Christmas?

I have a great system now, only a year old, but I've been eyeing a tr2950 system with more RAM for a while (ue4 and visual studio eat my r7 1700 and 16gb ram). Aren't AMD CPUs from gloflo therefore domestic? Ram? Mobos? Gpus?

just brew it!
Gold subscriber
Administrator

Re: Tariff price concerns

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:16 am

Very little electronics is manufactured domestically. Even if you do manage to find something made here, it will in all likelihood contain at least some imported parts, so tariffs will still cause prices to rise. Furthermore, if Chinese imports go up in price, sellers of equivalent non-Chinese goods aren't going to leave profits on the table; they will raise their prices too.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:38 am

I guess the question is if we think that there will be significant tech changes in the next year or so.

2080s will probably be overprice for a while, 590s didnt make any waves (i have a 1080 ti now)

Ryzen 1 -> Ryzen 2 took 1.5ish years, so we probably wont see a new Ryzen until 2020. even so, would a 25% more expensive 3950 be a better purchase than a 2950 now? Seems doubtful :/

RAM is still expensive (what happened?!?!)

TheEmrys
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:45 am

Just remember, that things which impact China negatively will positively effect Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, and Korea. Short term may see some isues, but don't think for a moment that those nations won't do their darnedest to fill that void.
Sony a7II 55/1.8 Minolta 100/2, 17-35D, Tamron 28-75/2.8

synthtel2
Gold subscriber
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:36 pm

The dies themselves are mostly not China-made, but a lot of minor components are and a lot of assembly is done there. I would be very surprised if CPUs themselves were troubled by it.

NovusBogus
Silver subscriber
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:52 pm

Prices will go up, but it probably won't be a bloodbath since electronics tend to be small, high margin items. The biggest problem will probably be disruption in the supply chain where entities with really questionable financial practices and a tendency to compete on price get pushed over the edge. And there's always the used market; let's not kid ourselves, one does not need the latest and greatest to play games with good settings and even GPUs--the last bastion of the silicon arms race--appear to be reaching the point of diminishing returns.

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:02 am

Good points. Thanks :)

I guess I was just looking for an excuse to upgrade. ;)

I was pretty shocked at the increase in speed from 3570k to R7 1700. I guess it's not the real cap for my dev progress. That's mostly me not knowing c++ and being on the struggle bus as I convert code. Ue4 and visual studio are pretty thread friendly, so I think eventuallly a leap to a TR would be another big boost.